Votes: 101 50.0%
  • Australian Labor Party

Votes: 101 50.0%

• Total voters

townie

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
I doubt it. Resignations tend to come in clumps. Both have served 12+ years in parliament, both backed gillard for the leadership
Election date has been set, you don't want a reshuffle much further on down the line - espescially As education and health ministers are obviously going to
have a HUGE role this year given Gonski and NDIS. I presume gillard told them you either commit now to the next 3 years or step down.

Edit: silly me, I'm stuck in the past, I keep thinking roxon is still health

Last edited:

townie

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
Oh Townie. On lateline Pyne said that there would be more resignations in the next couple of days, David Bradbury said it was a load of rubbish, an hour later there is another resignation. Something seismic is going on in the Labor party at the moment, it may not and indeed probably does not involve Rudd but clearly this is a government in crisis mode at the moment.
Oh yes I'm sure Christopher Pyne is deeply involved with the Labor party

townie

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
Look at it this way. If we believe Riley from ch 7, Gillard knew last week that Evans would be leaving. This possibly even pushed her to decide to call election (especially given other changes to seats). If Gillard tomorrow had announced a re-shuffle and at the same time announces evans and roxon were leaving this wouldn't be a big deal, the news has just leaked early. If the resignations had been Rudd supporters I might think differently,

Rafy

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
Re: 2013 Australian Federal election

McClelland has reportedly applied for and has been interviewed for a position as a Commissioner of the NSW IRC, raising the prospect he'll resign before the election.

The appointment will be made at the end of the month.

Rafy

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad

Current word on the street:

Dreyfus to AG.
Bowen moved to Tertiary Education, Skills, Jobs, Science and Research
O'Connor to Immigration
Conroy as Senate Leader. Either Kim Carr or Wong as Deputy.
Jason Clare promoted into cabinet
Justine Elliot to be dropped.

Last edited:

will90211

HSC

What interesting reading Townie, you are however let down by you're overly strong attachment to your darling Labor Party. I'll post later once we get some more analysis.

Rafy

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad

The reshuffle:

Immigration Minister Chris Bowen, a strong Rudd backer, will take Senator Evans’ portfolio of Tertiary Education, Skills, Jobs, Science and Research. He will also have responsibility for Small Business.

Victorian MP Mark Dreyfus vaults from the ranks of parliamentary secretary to replace Ms Roxon as Attorney-General and Minister for Emergency Management.

Housing and Small Business Minister Brendan O’Connor will move to Immigration and Citizenship, while Mark Butler adds Housing and Homelessness to his existing cabinet duties of Mental Health and Ageing.

Jason Clare has been promoted to the role of cabinet secretary, taking with him his junior ministry portfolios of Justice and Home Affairs.

Parliamentary secretary and Rudd supporter Mike Kelly joins the junior ministry as Minister for Defence Materiel.

Ms Gillard also appointed three new parliamentary secretaries – Yvette D’Ath takes climate change and energy efficiency, Kelvin Thompson, another Rudd supporter, takes trade, and Melissa Parke, the outspoken backbencher from Fremantle, has been given mental health, homelessness and social housing. Ms Parke frequently speaks out against the government and being on the front bench will require her to toe the line.

The NSW MP and Rudd backer Justine Elliott has been removed from her role as parliamentary secretary for trade.

Aerath

Retired
HSC
N/A

Correct me if I'm wrong, but Tertiary Education / Small Business etc aren't in Cabinet, whereas Immigration is?

If so, sucks to be Bowen - turfed from Cabinet.

funkshen

dvds didnt exist in 1991
HSC
N/A

Correct me if I'm wrong, but Tertiary Education / Small Business etc aren't in Cabinet, whereas Immigration is?

If so, sucks to be Bowen - turfed from Cabinet.
no, tertiary education, skills, jobs and workplace relations is in cabinet. it was chris evans' portfolio before.

niloony

HSC

I will miss Chris Evans in senate question time as he always reminded me of an elderly Chakotay(star trek voyager).

Jayden22

HSC

It just looks like Liberals will win this to me, either way though it's not particularly good.

Both are horrible leaders, the only difference really is how the parties use finances. Liberals are like the kings of spending because they're all businessmen, they save money. Heading into another economic crisis I think that's the only reason I'd even think of voting for them. I'm more preferential to not voting at all.

niloony

HSC

Liberals are like the kings of spending because they're all businessmen, they save money. Heading into another economic crisis I think that's the only reason I'd even think of voting for them. I'm more preferential to not voting at all.
Though both party's frontbenchers are full of lawyers the kings of siphoning money out of people in need ;).

townie

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
Yes, a more sensible interpretation is that newspoll has been overestimating support for gillard in the past few results and this is just the correction, I would concede that.

It's laughable to try argue it was an overnight drop in support directly linked to the resignations.

Misfitting

HSC

Who is going to win the 2013 federal election?

Honestly, I think it'll be another close year.

B) What are the key issues that will decide the next federal election?

Economy, Job security, Same sex marriage and Immigration.

C) Who is the best person to be PM of Australia?

Malcolm Turnbull or Joe Hockey

townie

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
What is your contention precisely? That this one poll, in isolation means very little and that Labor's stakes haven't really dropped this week, or that the events of this week haven't, at least in part, contributed to the findings of this poll? If you mean the former, I agree wholeheartedly, if the latter, you've gotta be joking.
A bit of both - to be fair you didn't so this specifically, but the media certainly has, which is to report it as if it has been this massive collapse in support for labor, when its far more likely that its just a correction for some overly positive results.

The press are reporting galaxy as if its confirmation of the collapse when actually galaxy 2pp hasn't changed at all from last release and in fact has seen the labor primary vote go up 1% (obviously that's just noise, but the point is it isn't showing a drop or a rise)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)