2013 Performance Band Descriptors (1 Viewer)

anomalousdecay

Premium Member
HSC
They are out:

http://www.boardofstudies.nsw.edu.au/ebos/static/BDHSC_2013_12.html

And this is just unbelievable. Considerably less people as a percentage in 2013 got an e4 in MX1 and MX2:

MX1: http://www.boardofstudies.nsw.edu.au/ebos/static/BDHSC_2013_12_15250.html

MX2: http://www.boardofstudies.nsw.edu.au/ebos/static/BDHSC_2013_12_15260.html

And somehow I got into the top 8% of Physics cohort and only top 20% of Chemistry cohort (was expecting higher) :lol:

And less people got a Band 6 in Standard English this year, making it harder and harder to reach it.

As for EE1 and EE2, more people got a Band 6 in them than Advanced.

The statistics in 2013 are almost completely different to the one's in 2012. Especially for MX1 and MX2 where the Band 6 percentage is at an all time low since 2007 (which had similar figures with MX1 higher and MX2 lower).

Should I just make a thread on this? Its pretty interesting tbh.

enoilgam

HSC
And less people got a Band 6 in Standard English this year, making it harder and harder to reach it.
It was only a minor difference in terms of the band 6s (0.1%). The big difference was with regards to Band 5s which dropped from 15% to 6%. Standard look like it was picking up over the last few years - I guess this goes to show that it is still a poor subject.

anomalousdecay

Premium Member
HSC
It was only a minor difference in terms of the band 6s (0.1%). The big difference was with regards to Band 5s which dropped from 15% to 6%. Standard look like it was picking up over the last few years - I guess this goes to show that it is still a poor subject.
Yeah true.

I was quite astonished for MX1 and MX2 though.

But 2-unit Maths is relatively similar.

Very interesting... Can you still get the link to 2012?? :)
13 years of statistics:

http://www.boardofstudies.nsw.edu.au/bos_stats/hsc-pbds.html

Hopp

HSC
Definitely an interesting topic, I would think it is worthy of it's own thread.
Too bad for the standard English students I guess.

anomalousdecay

Premium Member
HSC
Definitely an interesting topic, I would think it is worthy of it's own thread.
Too bad for the standard English students I guess.
Standard English has never really aligned well. Though this year, everything just got worse. As enoilgam said, there was a slight increase in the past few years in the amount of students getting a Band 6 but this year saw a downfall in the students getting Band 5.

anomalousdecay

Premium Member
HSC
There was a big drop for General Mathematics of a lot of students getting Band 3's rather than Band 4's. However, for Band 5 and 6 its still the same percentage.

gwilymprice

HSC
Their exam performance does not meet the standards of a Band 6 as defined by the Board of Studies.
I understand that, but what about alignment? Or is that the same thing you just explained?

D94

HSC
N/A
I understand that, but what about alignment? Or is that the same thing you just explained?
Same thing. The Board works off the raw marks, then they align the marks based on the standards - so the performance between a Band 5 and Band 6 is aligned to 90 etc.

anomalousdecay

Premium Member
HSC
Same thing. The Board works off the raw marks, then they align the marks based on the standards - so the performance between a Band 5 and Band 6 is aligned to 90 etc.
Yeah basically this.

They get the markers at each centre to do the exam questions themselves, then together they discuss what cut-off should be placed on each Band.
Then a supervisor from each centre or Head Judge will discuss with other markers from other centres and will decide on what each Band cut-off correlates to raw marks. They also determine cut-offs for the middle of each band and have a set distribution.

The HSC mark you get is not 100% accurate as they don't always correspond to the right raw mark. So when your ATAR is determined, this indication is the most accurate result you can get (other than if you order a raw marks report) as this is on the basis of your raw examination and assessment marks in each exam.

There are instances where someone who got a 90 raw can get the same examination mark as someone who got a 92 raw in the same subject. Is this fair in determining your ATAR? No as it is not accurate. So your ATAR is determined using your raw marks.

cem

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
Can I explain the judging process - as a person who has been one I think I know the procedure reasonably well.

1. When people apply to be a marker they also put down whether or not they wish to be a judge.

2. After the markers are appointed 6 people are appointed per subject/level (with 8 in English, I believe) and fewer in the really small courses with one appointed as the Senior Judge.

3. These judges go to marking as normal for their subject.

4. About half way through the marking process for the subject, can be later if the course starts to be marked really early, those 6/8 markers go to central location, not necessarily at the same venue as the marking centre for the subject (has been at Rosehill for the last few times I have been a judge).

5. The first meeting has the markers discuss the paper (not do the paper), ensure they know whether they are following a pathway or doing every question (Histories follow a pathway - which means they judge on the most popular question in each option - so German National Study and the more popular of those two will be used, along with Speer, and the most popular question in the most popular topic in International Studies). They also silently write a description of what they would expect a student on the cut-off to show in their response for each part of the paper.

6. Having written their own description, based on the performance descriptor bands, the marking criteria for the paper and professional judgement they then put down their own estimated mark for each of the questions being used for judging. They also have access to the scripts that the markers used to help them set their standards at the beginning of the marking process.

7. They then spend a few more days marking, or maybe even finish the marking process completely, before doing the second stage when they discuss their suggested marks for each question. After the discussion each judge either confirms or changes their recommended mark for the cut-off at each level.

8. They return to marking for another day or so in many cases although it is also possible that they may have already finished marking.

9. They then do the third session and this time they again discuss the marks they are giving at each cut-off and they also have precise examples on their cut-offs and on the questions they have been following so say the recommended cut-off is 22.3 between the six judges for a band 6 on a Germany question on the Modern paper they will have access to a 22/25 response and possibly a 22.5/25. With a response just a fraction below the cut-off and one above the judges can then confirm their own recommendation. (Before anyone says they don't give half marks remember that there are two markers so one marker gives 22 and the second 23 the mark would be 22.5)

10. NOTE the judges do NOT have to agree on the cut-offs so there will probably be a range across two or three marks but these are added together and then averaged to get the final cut-off.

11. After this some of the judges will be asked to meet with the BOS to discuss how confident they are about the cut-offs and after spending 12-15 or so hours on the process they have always been, in my experience, very confident that the recommendations are accurate ones for the bands in that subject in that year.

No one else is involved in the decision making process other than the judges and a person from the BOS whose role is to guide the process and provide assistance if needed.

The only cut-off mark determined by the judges is the cut-off at the band levels e.g. Band 5/6, 4/5, 3/4, 2/3, 1/2 - in other words what will be reported as 90, 80, 70, 60 and 50. They do NOT determine the middle of each band or the distribution of marks within the band.

The judges do NOT discuss their decisions with the other markers - might explain the process but not the nitty-gritty of their discussions.

Last edited:

anomalousdecay

Premium Member
HSC
^^ I was told by a normal marker what I said and obviously what you said makes more sense Cem.

Recondit

ヽ(" `Д´)ノ
HSC
yeww makes me that bit more satisfied with agriculture and standard eng marks

Hopp

HSC
Standard English has never really aligned well. Though this year, everything just got worse. As enoilgam said, there was a slight increase in the past few years in the amount of students getting a Band 6 but this year saw a downfall in the students getting Band 5.
Yeah that does make sense. Even though it doesn't affect me, I always feel sorry for the students who are greatly gifted in sciences or just overall have a high potential in scoring, but their ATAR is brought down through their lack of English capabilities. Then I realize I am competing with them, and laugh. jksjks.

anomalousdecay

Premium Member
HSC
Yeah that does make sense. Even though it doesn't affect me, I always feel sorry for the students who are greatly gifted in sciences or just overall have a high potential in scoring, but their ATAR is brought down through their lack of English capabilities. Then I realize I am competing with them, and laugh. jksjks.
I was one of those people actually. I worked more in English than MX1 and probably the same as the sciences and got an aggregate of nearly 30/100 less than the rest hahaha.

But I don't mind because I got the ATAR I needed and wanted anyway.

cadd1ct

The Chess Addict
HSC
Uni Grad
Big surprise for Japanese Continuers and Extension, dropped band 6 from 19.??% to 13.??% whilst the cohort decreased slightly, from 690 to 670 whilst extension went from 190 to 207 but band 6 shot from 28.??% to 33.??%???

Lol I guess continuers is being marked harder now cos its so easy, but markers are obviously nicer on extension because it's a bloody hard course... even then I still think 60 something people getting band 6 in ext. Jap is ridiculous... it's meant to be hard... maybe there are a lot of pros

Sent from my HTC Desire HD A9191

anomalousdecay

Premium Member
HSC
I'm so glad I chose English Advanced.
Don't forget MX1 :p

Big surprise for Japanese Continuers and Extension, dropped band 6 from 19.??% to 13.??% whilst the cohort decreased slightly, from 690 to 670 whilst extension went from 190 to 207 but band 6 shot from 28.??% to 33.??%???

Lol I guess continuers is being marked harder now cos its so easy, but markers are obviously nicer on extension because it's a bloody hard course... even then I still think 60 something people getting band 6 in ext. Jap is ridiculous... it's meant to be hard... maybe there are a lot of pros

Most people who choose a language Extension unit are usually fluent at the language already and do it as an ATAR booster unit.

But people who just choose a Continuer's language are usually just trying to learn the language or have remnants of it but want to make it somewhat more solid.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)