• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

2015ers Chit-Chat Thread (3 Viewers)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ekman

HSC
Did everyone hear about the ghost essay writing for English recently? What do you guys think about it?

rawrliongirl

HSC
anyone able to give a quick explanation of how the use of aesthetic language can contribute to the textual integrity of a poem? I don't know how to explain it in my essay :/

Ekman

HSC
no what is that?
Apparently the Board of Studies found out that hsc students are getting uni students or tutors to write their essays for them for $300-$400. After the exemplar essays are written for them, they just memorise it and cheat the HSC system for English. A friend of mine wrote a letter to the editor about this issue.

Ekman

HSC
are CSSA trials really long or am i just too slow?
Depends on the subject. Maths cssa trials seem to take the same amount of time as a hsc exam, but eco cssa trials seem long for me

rawrliongirl

HSC
Apparently the Board of Studies found out that hsc students are getting uni students or tutors to write their essays for them for $300-$400. After the exemplar essays are written for them, they just memorise it and cheat the HSC system for English. A friend of mine wrote a letter to the editor about this issue.
wow... I can't believe people would go to that extent to cheat.. :/

Crisium

Pew Pew
HSC
Yeah I look down on people that stoop that low

It's so satisfying destroying them in a subject despite their cheap-ass tactics to get good marks

Karma's gonna hit hard some day

Last edited:

BLIT2014

The pessimistic optimist.
HSC
Uni Grad
My fear for mod b is having an extract that I haven't really analysed properly, basically making me screwed for the exam.

Why it is probably the most important module to actual read the prescribed text

Crisium

Pew Pew
HSC
Why it is probably the most important module to actual read the prescribed text
Now that I think about it I have no idea how people managed to get a high band 5 or band 6 in english without reading their prescribed text o_O

Constantine

HSC
did u have it during HSC/?
Nope. Didn't even think about it.
I did 12 units so I wouldn't have came out well.
Casual maybe. Definitely not part time.

Now that I think about it I have no idea how people managed to get a high band 5 or band 6 in english without reading their prescribed text o_O
idk, it's probs best to read your texts. but theoretically, you don't really have to; i reckon you can get away with it for discovery, mod A and C so long as you understand the themes and messages of the text. but it definitely won't work for mod B lol - i think i reread hamlet at least 3 texts and wrote 5 essays on different ideas and whatnot. whereas for my other modules it was just refining generics lel being the lazy ass i am

tis my experience
I'll be completely honest - never finished reading a prescribed text with the exception of Julius Caesar and sometimes my related as well.

Obviously everyone is different but me personally, I found that understanding the key ideas, contextual and motivations for texts (so their underlying messages) was more than enough - so completely agreeing with hawkrider here. My teacher told us the important chapters/scenes and I would read/watch that to death, but never the whole entire work itself. Worked for me since I got the highest band in advanced and extension so it can be done, though just be careful about it.

Let's be honest here. For those that do finish the entire work, how many examples do you actually grab from it? Your techs/examples should be judicial and when I was in Year11 I did finish the whole novel, but then I just found myself getting bombarded with choices and picked a lot of average parts out for analysis.

HOWEVER. I do feel the need to point out that my friend who topped the grade for both advanced and extension READ EVERY SINGLE TEXT. So you want to be completely sure and maximise your potential of getting the best possible mark - READ IT!

Last edited:

Drsoccerball

HSC
Nope. Didn't even think about it.
I did 12 units so I wouldn't have came out well.
Casual maybe. Definitely not part time.

I'll be completely honest - never finished reading a prescribed text with the exception of Julius Caesar and sometimes my related as well.

Obviously everyone is different but me personally, I found that understanding the key ideas, contextual and motivations for texts (so their underlying messages) was more than enough - so completely agreeing with hawkrider here. My teacher told us the important chapters/scenes and I would read/watch that to death, but never the whole entire work itself. Worked for me since I got the highest band in advanced and extension so it can be done, though just be careful about it.

Let's be honest here. For those that do finish the entire work, how many examples do you actually grab from it? Your techs/examples should be judicial and when I was in Year11 I did finish the whole novel, but then I just found myself getting bombarded with choices and picked a lot of average parts out for analysis.

HOWEVER. I do feel the need to point out that my friend who topped the grade for both advanced and extension READ EVERY SINGLE TEXT. So you want to be completely sure and maximise your potential of getting the best possible mark - READ IT!
State ranked in english... Can you post a guide to how you got it :(

Ekman

HSC
fk, this is literally what I have to do as well gg

and how does one memorise the textbook for eco lol, i need condensed notes which i made in advance to cut the BS info out
Well just reading through the Dixon textbook a couple of times does it for me. I don't memorise word for word but I know the concepts and how to word these concepts for short answers. So memorising word for word 18 chapters isn't really ideal or possible in the given limited time...

Ekman

HSC
dafuq

that's impressive lol

i can't do dat (i literally have to vocalise my notes to ensure i remember them)

and yeh, i try to grasp the concepts on a deep level with analogies if need be

but sometimes, stuff like trade agreements needs to be rote learnt :/
Of course, policies, organisations, stats, and events need to be memorised for essays, but concepts like inflation can just be understood and used in exams. A question from my half-yearlies was "Explain the differences in cost-push inflation and imported inflation" -2 marks. Stuff like that doesn't have to be memorised word for word from the textbook.

teridax

HSC
N/A
i'm struggling to answer this discovery Q and forming a thesis around it:

Attitudes towards discovery change over time. How have the texts you have studied explored shifting attitudes towards discovery?

help plzzzz

turntaker

HSC
Perhaps we could go for something along the lines of, “Attitudes towards discovery shift in response to the various historiographical and ideological aesthetics of a given zeitgeist” – note how this was broad enough to allow for further elaboration, but specific enough to show the marker
that you aren’t merely reiterating the question word-for-word – obviously change this in accordance with your own argument/stance etc!

(just realised how pretentious that intro sentence sounded lol)
wth is zeitgeist

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 3)