2015ers Chit-Chat Thread (5 Viewers)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Flop21

HSC
Ahahah cheers man, though I know kids who are nailing like two past papers a night!
Dw man, I do all humanities too except 2U and 3U math! It's definitely not too late to learn your content, you've got 32 days left till HSC starts. I find that I learn the content best through doing, so maybe aim at doing an essay every two days. Supplement that with dedicating 30 minutes to an hour each night just reading over your notes, until you know the content inside out.

From there you can start doing past papers! If I was in your position I'd aim to have complete knowledge of the content by Monday the 21st, so you can spend three solid weeks doing past papers so nothing trips you up. With humanities past papers you'll find that they can only ask the question so many different ways anyway!

Not too long till its all over mate, we're all gonna make it ahahahah.
What ATAR are you aiming for?

HecticSandWitch

2007 fuccboi hustler king
HSC
Reading about all the study everyone's doing here is making me want to puke lol. I gotta get into it, but I have so much trouble focusing after about 2-3 hours. Or more so, I just feel so bored.
Dude take it in spaces, start off at half an hour a time and work your way up :)

Last edited:

HecticSandWitch

HSC
What ATAR are you aiming for?
>98.5, that's the cut off for an overseas uni I'm trying to make. Even if I get through the personal statement, subject specific test and interview and get an offer, if I get 98.45 or lower system automatically rejects me and the offer is withdrawn lol.

matchalolz

HSC
i feel so behind after reading everyone's posts, I've done like 1 past paper for 2u and some other questions here and there for my other subjects (done in class/ordered by teachers).

I'm still recovering from being sick though, which is slowing me down a shit tonne, and still trying to finish writing my notes (mostly statistics for eco and case studies for business) bleh

@HecticSandWitch, do you do eco? and if so, around how much statistics are you remembering?

Flop21

HSC
>98.5, that's the cut off for an overseas uni I'm trying to make. Even if I get through the personal statement, subject specific test and interview and get an offer, if I get 98.45 or lower system automatically rejects me and the offer is withdrawn lol.
Nice, you sound to be really on top of things and definitely on track for that ATAR.

Can I ask where you study? Like at a library or just at your house in your room or something?

Sien

将来: NEET
HSC
Just not for law. Not sure for USYD, do you perform for a school orchestra or compete in any way? I think it's geared more towards like dancers?
I saw the unsw's bonus point scheme, i could potentially get 3 points if I pass my grade exam. So I was wondering if usyd does the same

Sent from my D6503 using Tapatalk

HecticSandWitch

HSC
i feel so behind after reading everyone's posts, I've done like 1 past paper for 2u and some other questions here and there for my other subjects (done in class/ordered by teachers).

I'm still recovering from being sick though, which is slowing me down a shit tonne, and still trying to finish writing my notes (mostly statistics for eco and case studies for business) bleh

@HecticSandWitch, do you do eco? and if so, around how much statistics are you remembering?
That's ok, heaps of time to catch up still! Better to start kicking it into gear rather than next week right.

The statistics are quick if you know where to look. I recommend going through the textbook and checking out the catalog numbers on any statistics, so you can have all the up to date ones for the HSC. That way you ensure that your stats are relevant but are also more detailed then what the rest have. I don't really have many memorised, and that was my big down fall for the trials, aced MC and S/A but lost marks for not having enough date; but I actually wrote up a cheat sheet that I'm going to add to a few days before my eco exam so I have all the most recent data! I recommend doing something similar :)

StudyToDeath

HSC
Do universities accept students below the ATAR cut off if the course hasn't been filled up?

HecticSandWitch

HSC
Nice, you sound to be really on top of things and definitely on track for that ATAR.

Can I ask where you study? Like at a library or just at your house in your room or something?
Thanks man, just making sure I don't leave it up to chance and really working hard atm!

I study in my room mainly. I'm lucky in that I live in a quiet house so sound isn't a big issue. I feel that studying at the library would do more harm than good for me because I don't really get easily distracted (which is the big upside of going to a library) and it's like a 20 minute bus either way, give and take travel time + set up and what not, probably set me back an hour. Much rather spending that hour studying or properly recovering between papers (by recovery I mean watching youtube on the couch lol).

HecticSandWitch

HSC
PLus if my study in my room I can study at any time at the day and not limited by time at the library, so I can always do extra if I want!

HecticSandWitch

HSC
I saw the unsw's bonus point scheme, i could potentially get 3 points if I pass my grade exam. So I was wondering if usyd does the same

Sent from my D6503 using Tapatalk
Hmmmm looking at the USYD EAP application form, the majority of it is focused on time away from school/studies and is more compensatory while the UNSW one is more rewarding (idk just the vibe I'm getting from the two sets of criteria lol). So for USYD, if you spend a lot of time playing piano per week you can put that in your application, but they have a whole section on time away from class.

Flop21

HSC
Would converting your raw trials marks into HSC marks (using rawmarks.info), then putting it into an ATAR calculator, give a rough estimate of your ATAR??

E.g. is a 77 mark in mathematics really a ~90 HSC mark?

Mr_Kap

HSC
Thanks man, just making sure I don't leave it up to chance and really working hard atm!

I study in my room mainly. I'm lucky in that I live in a quiet house so sound isn't a big issue. I feel that studying at the library would do more harm than good for me because I don't really get easily distracted (which is the big upside of going to a library) and it's like a 20 minute bus either way, give and take travel time + set up and what not, probably set me back an hour. Much rather spending that hour studying or properly recovering between papers (by recovery I mean watching youtube on the couch lol).
yeh well there was a fire at my house 5 months ago so insurance has got us living in hotels/serviced apartments. There are NO desks in this place and the kitchen table is really tall and uncomfortable, and has poor lighting, and is right next to the kitchen/tv so I don't get any peace and quiet. Plus, i have a family of 5 and we are squashed into a small 3 bedroom place. So yeh, the nearest library is like 5 minutes from my school so I would go there in afternoons until it closed (at 9 o clock). Now though I finished school so to get there from where im living at the moment would be 25 minutes (by walking + bus, and around 15 minutes by car), plus i have to pack food with me or bring money to buy food, and i get really dead sitting in the library seats for so long.

Last edited:

Mr_Kap

HSC
Would converting your raw trials marks into HSC marks (using rawmarks.info), then putting it into an ATAR calculator, give a rough estimate of your ATAR??

Take into account that 'scaling' is different for every school as well. So don't trust those raw marks to HSC marks with your life.

HecticSandWitch

HSC

If I got the exact raw marks for trials in the HSC and my assessment marks were identical the ATAR calcs say 99.5ish. I'm not really trusting that though, because I think the HSC will have more pressure riding on it, and as KAP said, although most of my trials were independent, could of gotten away with easy papers this year or easy marking. Just not taking anything for granted or letting myself slack off tbh.

Last edited:

Mr_Kap

HSC
If I got the exact raw marks for trials in the HSC and my assessment marks were identical the ATAR calcs say 99.5ish. I'm not really trusting that though, because I think the HSC will have more pressure riding on it.
Plus 2015 is gonna be a hard year of HSC exams. I can feel it.

HecticSandWitch

HSC
yeh well there was a fire at my house 5 months ago so insurance has got us living in hotels/serviced apartments. There are NO desks in this place and the kitchen table is really tall and uncomfortable, and has poor lighting, and is right next to the kitchen/tv so I don't get any peace and quiet. Plus, i have a family of 5 and we are squashed into a small 3 bedroom place. So yeh, the nearest library is like 5 minutes from my school so I would go there in afternoons until it closed (at 9 o clock). Now though I finished school so to get there from where im living at the moment would be 25 minutes (by walking + bus, and around 15 minutes by car), plus i have to pack food with me or bring money to buy food, and i get really dead sitting in the library seats for so long.
Dyde that must suck! Have you applied for EAS or something? For the last part, maybe try having an enforced break every 2 hours or so where you get up and take a walk outside of the library, just so you don't get into. Bloody puts my 20 minute bus dilemma in perspective.

HecticSandWitch

HSC
Plus 2015 is gonna be a hard year of HSC exams. I can feel it.
Ahahaha I'd like a hard paper in certain subjects (modern,legal,eco) and am praying for easy math papers and english papers oh god hard exams don't sit well with me lollll.

HecticSandWitch

HSC
:( x 100. I go to this shittiest ranked school in the whole wide world. So I'm guessing my scaling won't be as good as those raw marks on the site (I wish it would because my ATAR would be amazing with my current raw marks).
Yeah, I'm just going to keep pushing for the highest marks possible and not stress too much about my predictors. All my assessments are in the past anyway so not use resting on my laurels. Remember, as long as you're ranked near the top, school rank shouldn't affect you too much!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 5)