• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

2015ers Chit-Chat Thread (3 Viewers)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Flop21

HSC
How do people have notes with 0 spaces / no space after paragraphs or headings. It just looks like a big fat wall of text to me, which makes it 100x more harder to study from.

HecticSandWitch

2007 fuccboi hustler king
HSC
Wait so unsw no longer does elite performers bonus points any more or is it just for law? If I applied for usyd, would I get bonus points for piano or nah

Sent from my D6503 using Tapatalk
Just not for law. Not sure for USYD, do you perform for a school orchestra or compete in any way? I think it's geared more towards like dancers?

FlyingKanga

The optimistic pessimist.
HSC
Sigh... That feeling when you realise you achieved nothing in high school. I wish it wasn't in my nature to be the quiet one. :/

HecticSandWitch

HSC
ayo, how many hours are you guys studying a day? i feel ever since trials i have done hardly anythinggg :L
I'm doing one past paper a day atm (3 hours), and will bump that up to two past papers and an essay a day once school finishes. Just trying to focus on consistency rather than sporadically studying for 6 hours and then doing nothing for the rest of the week. Plus, I know all my content so rn is just a matter of applying the knowledge.

teridax

HSC
N/A
I'm doing one past paper a day atm (3 hours), and will bump that up to two past papers and an essay a day once school finishes. Just trying to focus on consistency rather than sporadically studying for 6 hours and then doing nothing for the rest of the week. Plus, I know all my content so rn is just a matter of applying the knowledge.
fuark, that's dedication man haha

what if someone like does not know their content well enough

is that too late? coz I do humanities and there's craploads of stuff to know lol

HecticSandWitch

HSC
fuark, that's dedication man haha

what if someone like does not know their content well enough

is that too late? coz I do humanities and there's craploads of stuff to know lol
Ahahah cheers man, though I know kids who are nailing like two past papers a night!
Dw man, I do all humanities too except 2U and 3U math! It's definitely not too late to learn your content, you've got 32 days left till HSC starts. I find that I learn the content best through doing, so maybe aim at doing an essay every two days. Supplement that with dedicating 30 minutes to an hour each night just reading over your notes, until you know the content inside out.

From there you can start doing past papers! If I was in your position I'd aim to have complete knowledge of the content by Monday the 21st, so you can spend three solid weeks doing past papers so nothing trips you up. With humanities past papers you'll find that they can only ask the question so many different ways anyway!

Not too long till its all over mate, we're all gonna make it ahahahah.

teridax

HSC
N/A
Ahahah cheers man, though I know kids who are nailing like two past papers a night!
Dw man, I do all humanities too except 2U and 3U math! It's definitely not too late to learn your content, you've got 32 days left till HSC starts. I find that I learn the content best through doing, so maybe aim at doing an essay every two days. Supplement that with dedicating 30 minutes to an hour each night just reading over your notes, until you know the content inside out.

From there you can start doing past papers! If I was in your position I'd aim to have complete knowledge of the content by Monday the 21st, so you can spend three solid weeks doing past papers so nothing trips you up. With humanities past papers you'll find that they can only ask the question so many different ways anyway!

Not too long till its all over mate, we're all gonna make it ahahahah.
1. Is the revision (30 mins to an hour) each night catered to each individual subject or is that spread evenly?

2. How did you ensure you effectively memorised because there is so much rote :(

I'm assuming the two past papers per day thingo is on 2u and 3u maths and the one essay a day is alluding to english itself lol :)

P.S. congrats on your law offer you sikkient :haha:

HecticSandWitch

HSC
1. Is the revision (30 mins to an hour) each night catered to each individual subject or is that spread evenly?

2. How did you ensure you effectively memorised because there is so much rote :(

I'm assuming the two past papers per day thingo is on 2u and 3u maths and the one essay a day is alluding to english itself lol :)

P.S. congrats on your law offer you sikkient :haha:
1. Individual subjects, i'd even go far as to say individual topics. So for example

Saturday: Modern History (WWI)

Sunday: Economics (Australia and the Global Economy)

Monday: Legal Studies (Family Law)

and so on and so forth.

2. I didn't really do much rote learning to be honest, after doing the same economics question enough times I'd undertsand how things would work for example. The best way to memorise things is to understand why things happen.

Yep, at the moment I do 5 maths papers during school week and then maybe a math paper and legal paper on saturday and math paper and economics paper on Sunday, which will be the formula I'll stick with when school's finished. The essay could be any of my subjects because they all have essay components worth at least half, but should be doing more for english tbh, it's my weakness :mad2:

Ahahahah cheers ladddd, pretty stoked tbh.

teridax

HSC
N/A
1. Individual subjects, i'd even go far as to say individual topics. So for example

Saturday: Modern History (WWI)

Sunday: Economics (Australia and the Global Economy)

Monday: Legal Studies (Family Law)

and so on and so forth.

2. I didn't really do much rote learning to be honest, after doing the same economics question enough times I'd undertsand how things would work for example. The best way to memorise things is to understand why things happen.

Yep, at the moment I do 5 maths papers during school week and then maybe a math paper and legal paper on saturday and math paper and economics paper on Sunday, which will be the formula I'll stick with when school's finished. The essay could be any of my subjects because they all have essay components worth at least half, but should be doing more for english tbh, it's my weakness :mad2:

Ahahahah cheers ladddd, pretty stoked tbh.

Fuarrr, sounds intense bro. I guess it's true that economics necessitates understanding, but tbh, stuff like WW1 for modern history has to be rote learned and it's a bitch - the same can be said for the national and international study haha. :( Not sure what legal is like but I hear that there's a shitload of content to remember.

HecticSandWitch

HSC
Fuarrr, sounds intense bro. I guess it's true that economics necessitates understanding, but tbh, stuff like WW1 for modern history has to be rote learned and it's a bitch - the same can be said for the national and international study haha. :( Not sure what legal is like but I hear that there's a shitload of content to remember.
Nah its pretty chill tbh, in a weird way past papers are fun, at least compared to writing notes for three hours at a time lollll (wanted to gouge my eyes out tbh)

IDK with world war one for example, I didn't look at my notes and got 25/25. It's not because I'm some super genius with photographic memory or something (bloody wish I was), just know what the examiners are looking for in that section: All you need to know is how to analyse sources and have a little bit of general knowledge to chuck in for the 8 marker. National and international is a harder one, and that's where the writing essay part comes in. My aim is to have a one page essay plan for every dot point for these subjects, so nothing slips through!

Legal is just a matter of knowing your issues. I don't know a lot of the content in legal but get by just fine in exams(got 95/100 in independent trial paper) because most of it isn't necessary: if you read your syllabus/look at past papers you'll notice they almost exclusively ask you to look at legal issues, because you can't spend 25 marks discussing how criminals are arrested for example. They want analysis. Then, all I did was write down the keys laws, cases and media on every issues (about 5/6 per module) and then there's nothing the examiners could have thrown at me that I couldn't answer, and I was set for 50 marks pretty much, give or take 1/2 due to how smooth my writing is.

Study smarter not harder is such a cliche, but I think a better term would be study smarter and just as hard. That way you don't waste any time and focus on maximising your marks for each section of your paper.

teridax

HSC
N/A
Nah its pretty chill tbh, in a weird way past papers are fun, at least compared to writing notes for three hours at a time lollll (wanted to gouge my eyes out tbh)

IDK with world war one for example, I didn't look at my notes and got 25/25. It's not because I'm some super genius with photographic memory or something (bloody wish I was), just know what the examiners are looking for in that section: All you need to know is how to analyse sources and have a little bit of general knowledge to chuck in for the 8 marker. National and international is a harder one, and that's where the writing essay part comes in. My aim is to have a one page essay plan for every dot point for these subjects, so nothing slips through!

Legal is just a matter of knowing your issues. I don't know a lot of the content in legal but get by just fine in exams(got 95/100 in independent trial paper) because most of it isn't necessary: if you read your syllabus/look at past papers you'll notice they almost exclusively ask you to look at legal issues, because you can't spend 25 marks discussing how criminals are arrested for example. They want analysis. Then, all I did was write down the keys laws, cases and media on every issues (about 5/6 per module) and then there's nothing the examiners could have thrown at me that I couldn't answer, and I was set for 50 marks pretty much, give or take 1/2 due to how smooth my writing is.

Study smarter not harder is such a cliche, but I think a better term would be study smarter and just as hard. That way you don't waste any time and focus on maximising your marks for each section of your paper.
That's impressive lol! Good job haha. I don't know - my WW1 notes are 14 pages but I don't want to memorise all of them lol. So did you just memorise only the minute details of your WW1 notes, and if so, how did you narrow them down?

Ah, I see - very clever in terms of essay plans for the national and international study. But wouldn't that mean you lose the detail in your plans because it just becomes dot points lol.

HecticSandWitch

HSC
That's impressive lol! Good job haha. I don't know - my WW1 notes are 14 pages but I don't want to memorise all of them lol. So did you just memorise only the minute details of your WW1 notes, and if so, how did you narrow them down?

Ah, I see - very clever in terms of essay plans for the national and international study. But wouldn't that mean you lose the detail in your plans because it just becomes dot points lol.
Ahahah cheers man, tbh just a matter of knowing how to answer the questions tho, nothing crazy.

Bruh mine are like 25+ ahahahha. I went well overboard lol. Probably a good idea to just know some general facts about the world war. The 8 markers tend to talk about something like the lives of civilians during the war, at least that's my experience, so maybe a fact or two in that area.

Hmmm, the detail thing is a fair call, but it hasn't be an issue so far. Do about a page worth of essay plan so I just about cover everything. Remember that your essay should be more argument than detail, so it's better to have a logical plan with the detail scaled back (like scrapping specific dates for example) then an essay that is basically a rewrite of the textbook (and we've all done that lbr ahahah).

Last edited:

teridax

HSC
N/A
Ahahah cheers man, tbh just a matter of knowing how to answer the questions tho, nothing crazy.

Bruh mine are like 25+ ahahahha. I went well overboard lol. Probably a good idea to just know some general facts about the world war. The 8 markers tend to talk about something like the lives of civilians during the war, at least that's my experience, so maybe a fact or two in that area.

Hmmm, the detail thing is a fair call, but it hasn't be an issue so far. Do about a page worth of essay plan so I just cover everything. Remember that your essay should be more argument than detail, so it's better to have a logical plan with the detail scaled back (like scrapping specific dates for example) then an essay that is basically a rewrite of the textbook (and we've all done that lbr ahahah).
Sorry, I don't really understand the bolded. By the "detail scaled back", is this like already embedded in your brain from continual revision?

(I hope my Q's aren't annoying you lol)

Chris_S

HSC
Does anyone know how to summarise or remember the titration process/practical? As I just can't get my head around the whole thing

Drsoccerball

HSC
Does anyone know how to summarise or remember the titration process/practical? As I just can't get my head around the whole thing
What don't you understand the actual titration? The making of a standard ?wot you cant understand

Chris_S

HSC
I understand it just can't remember it when answering a question on it! I just need a way to simplify it and try to remember it

HecticSandWitch

HSC
Sorry, I don't really understand the bolded. By the "detail scaled back", is this like already embedded in your brain from continual revision?

(I hope my Q's aren't annoying you lol)
By scaling back the detail, I mean getting rid of the unimportant stuff, like specific dates and times. Instead, when speaking about your content, speak generally, but argue specifically, for example;

Here are the first two sentences in an introduction.

Question:
To what extent was the Nazi Consolidation of power complete by 1934?

Bad Answer: After trailing in the polls throughout 1928 by a considerable margin due to a period of economic prosperity brought about through a reduction of reparation payments and booming overseas trade, the Nazi party found its power in the reichstag increasing following the great depression, which was caused by a stock crash in the wall st financial markets. After gaining power, Hitler went on to become chancellor through what was a flawed constitutonal process, abusing the article 28 and assuming the role of presidency off Hindenburg after his death on the 2nd of August 1934, giving him complete control.

This has a lot of detail, but doesn't answer the question, and doesn't seem to be arguing anything at all. Here is a better introduction.

Better Answer
By the end of 1934, Nazi Consolidation of Power was complete. By absorbing all facets of German cultural, social, political and economic life under a common Nazi Ideology, by the time Hitler's ascension to power was absolute, the Nazi party had complete control over Germany.

Although it is shorter, and doesn't have as much detail, I think we can agree that this is a better starting point. It answers the question, outlines the paragraphs that will be discussed, and affirms the thesis at the end.

Hence, it's better to have an essay where your detail may be a bit thinner, but you are actually arguing something, compared to something where you put in as much statistics as possible only to have the question bogged down by trivial data.

(And dude it's not a problem at all, it's good practice to teach people and helps affirm things I might've just done implicitly rather than on purpose!)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 3)