• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

2017ers Preliminary Chit Chat Thread (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Green Yoda

Hi Φ
HSC
top mark was i think 63% or someshit but yeah it had a whole load of harder graphs which require calculus but we are supposed to do it without..
e.g: graph x^2+1/x^2
this question fked me so hard lol

Simorgh

HSC
top mark was i think 63% or someshit but yeah it had a whole load of harder graphs which require calculus but we are supposed to do it without..
Have you done your 2 Unit test yet?

Nailgun

Cole World
HSC
to be fair, you don't really need calculus for this graph ahahaha

Green Yoda

Hi Φ
HSC
to be fair, you don't really need calculus for this graph ahahaha
even the examples in textbook use calculus but fk me I just didnt see the regional relationship of f(x)>x^2 where x≠0.
I did manage to get 1/4 marks by finding out the intercepts and mainly finding the asymptote being x^2
but yeah it was time consuming af

Nailgun

Cole World
HSC
even the examples in textbook use calculus but fk me I just didnt see the regional relationship of f(x)>x^2 where x≠0.
I did manage to get 1/4 marks by finding out the intercepts and mainly finding the asymptote being x^2
but yeah it was time consuming af
What lelele
the asymtotes are at x=0 and y=1
and there are no intercepts (real ones anyways)

Green Yoda

Hi Φ
HSC
and yeah there are no intercepts...just proved the asymptote as the degree of the 1 is greater than x^2 in 1/x^2 so the value is next to it is the asymptote and proved if its even/odd/neither just the basic stuff to start off then when i put the test points in to check how to graphs goes..i got weird numbers..but it was a pattern..when i put lets say 10..it geps 100.001 or 100 it gets 10000.001 so I just didnt figure out that when x-> infinity +/- , y-> x^2 (positive) so f(x)>x^2 (the asymptote) where x≠0 as thats the vertical asymptote.

Last edited:

Nailgun

Cole World
HSC
and yeah there are no intercepts...just proved the asymptote as the degree of the 1 is greater than x^2 in 1/x^2 so the value is next to it is the asymptote and proved if its even/odd/neither just the basic stuff to start off than when i put the test points in to check how to graphs goes..i got weird numbers..but it was a pattern..when i put lets say 10..it geps 100.001 or 100 it gets 10000.001 so I just didnt figure out that when x-> infinity +/- , y-> x^2 (positive) so f(x)>x^2 (the asymptote) where it x≠0 as thats the vertical asymptote.
yeah i just did it
what do you mean by f(x) > x^2 lol, isn't that kinda obvious lele

x^2 and 1/x^2 will always be positive numbers so y>0 (x=/=0 so y=/=0)
i think the tricky bit is recognising that the behaviour of the graph will change at -1<x<1

Green Yoda

Hi Φ
HSC
yeah i just did it
what do you mean by f(x) > x^2 lol, isn't that kinda obvious lele

x^2 and 1/x^2 will always be positive numbers so y>0 (x=/=0 so y=/=0)
i think the tricky bit is recognising that the behaviour of the graph will change at -1<x<1
yeah i went home and figured it out..but in the test idk what happened..i just fked up lol fml

Nailgun

Cole World
HSC
yeah i went home and figured it out..but in the test idk what happened..i just fked up lol fml
ah right right lelele
had a similar experience with a geometry question in my last test ahahaha
just kinda loled it

Green Yoda

Hi Φ
HSC
Also without calculus we are just making assumptions and not getting exact turning points so yeah it really becomes a rough graph.
I think it would be better if they did this after learning calculus..it would be easier..

Green Yoda

Hi Φ
HSC
Then there is the topic tests of the ppl doing 2u..factorise x^2-9 and similar difficulty questions lmao

eyeseeyou

HSC
N/A
So you pretty much ranked within the top 10ish?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)