• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

2017ers Preliminary Chit Chat Thread (2 Viewers)

Status
Not open for further replies.

eyeseeyou

HSC
N/A
to be fair, you don't really need calculus for this graph ahahaha
I think you get marked down for using calculus because you haven't learnt it in school. A few years ago a dude in my school got marked down because he used a circle geometry proof in a plane geometry question

Green Yoda

Hi Φ
HSC
I think you get marked down for using calculus because you haven't learnt it in school. A few years ago a dude in my school got marked down because he used a circle geometry proof in a plane geometry question
well i dont even know how to use it..so cant lol
and yeah top 10 probs..could be fked asking everyone's marks

edit: nope doesnt go to rankings..just a topic test not an assesment

si2136

HSC
N/A
LMAO Calculus.

You could use Calc, but there's honestly no point IMO

Nailgun

Cole World
HSC
You almost definitely would not be marked down, I know plenty of 4U kids who use their methods sometimes because it's faster (Can also end up making the question a lot harder than need be ahaha)

However, if you make a mistake you likely won't be awarded partial marks for it since the method is somewhat incorrect, so like it's either 4/4 or 0/4

Green Yoda

Hi Φ
HSC
You almost definitely would not be marked down, I know plenty of 4U kids who use their methods sometimes because it's faster (Can also end up making the question a lot harder than need be ahaha)

However, if you make a mistake you likely won't be awarded partial marks for it since the method is somewhat incorrect, so like it's either 4/4 or 0/4
if you dont put working out or correct working out do u still get full marks?

Jackthommy99

HSC
Hey guys,

Just wanted to share some results from my first tests in both Chemistry and Biology as a comparison of skill level.

Chemistry - 20.5/40= 51.25%
Biology - 30/32= 93.75%

Pretty contrasting figures there. Sitting at tied second in Biology in the combined class ranks and Chemistry sitting at 8th out of 16.

What about you?

Paradoxica

-insert title here-
HSC

By inspection....

leehuan

HSC
I'm sorry, especially since you guys are still miles away...

...but a 4U student can ACTUALLY graph y=x^2+1/x^2 by inspection.

The hardest part of this question is just that you have a parabolic asymptote

eyeseeyou

HSC
N/A
I'm sorry, especially since you guys are still miles away...

...but a 4U student can ACTUALLY graph y=x^2+1/x^2 by inspection.

The hardest part of this question is just that you have a parabolic asymptote
How do you do it by inspection?

eyeseeyou

HSC
N/A
The only singularity is at the origin, all terms are positive, and the graph asymptotically approaches the unit parabola.

By inspection, it will look like two infinite cups side by side.
Wait what...this is confusing. If you were to graph...say x^2-4 we could do it by inspection easily but in this case I can't seem to get it

Paradoxica

-insert title here-
HSC
Wait what...this is confusing. If you were to graph...say x^2-4 we could do it by inspection easily but in this case I can't seem to get it
Graph 1/x^2 and x^2 separately. Near the origin, the singularity dominates. Further out, the parabola dominates. Also, note by AM-GM the minimum value of the graph is 2, so the minima occur at +/- 1, 2

Green Yoda

Hi Φ
HSC
did my physics prac today..i fked up badly
we did world communicates and they ask ray box experiment (fair enough) and pendulum experiment..wtf i didnt even revise that.
and an data processing with a logarithmic increasing bar graph..

eyeseeyou

HSC
N/A
we did world communicates and they ask ray box experiment (fair enough) and pendulum experiment..wtf i didnt even revise that.
Didn't get any pracs this term thank god but I have most of my exams coming up early next term

jathu123

HSC
aw man, feel sorry for ya. But don't worry, if it was hard and new for you (like the pendulum thingy), then it'll probably be that for everyone else. So just hope you rank in the top 10 or something haha

leehuan

HSC
How do you do it by inspection?
Have the graphs of both y=x^2 and y=1/x^2 in your head. Note that the best graphing methods do not give a damn about the locations of the stationary points (those are not cusps Para).

1/x^2 approaches 0 from above and thus the limiting behaviour is seen in the parabolic asymptote y=x^2 from above. It is easily noted that x=0 yields a vertical asymptote and the fact you shoot up in both directions.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Green Yoda

Hi Φ
HSC
aw man, feel sorry for ya. But don't worry, if it was hard and new for you (like the pendulum thingy), then it'll probably be that for everyone else. So just hope you rank in the top 10 or something haha
yeah fk me..i dont even think ill get that 50% :/

InteGrand

HSC
N/A
Have the graphs of both y=x^2 and y=1/x^2 in your head. Note that the best graphing methods do not give a damn about the locations of the stationary points (those are not cusps Para).

1/x^2 approaches 0 from above and thus the limiting behaviour is seen in the parabolic asymptote y=x^2 from above. It is easily noted that x=0 yields a vertical asymptote and the fact you shoot up in both directions.

Paradoxica didn't say 'cusps', he said 'cups' (in reference to the shape of the graph).

leehuan

HSC
Ah ok my bad for reading wrong then

Green Yoda

Hi Φ
HSC
although I have asked all the potential top students and they also fked up so idk..i might rank good with a 50% odd

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)