2018 HSC+ATAR results discussion Thread (1 Viewer)

BLIT2014

The pessimistic optimist.
HSC
Uni Grad
Hi Guys!!!

I got my results earlier than 6 am (around 5:30 am)

I did better than expected. I couldn't remember my marks because I was just so stoked. They were in the mid 70s to late 70s. All of them were in Bands 3 & 4.

YAAAAAAAAASSSS! :hug2: :music: :D :awesome: :spzz: :jump::haha:
Well done! Must be awesome doing better then expected

Tugawar101

HSC
Uni Grad
I feel like a goddam failure tbh :(

English - 86
3u maths - 93
4u maths - 90
Physics - 90
Software - 96

LEGIT Everyone's marks in our cohort are much worse than we ever predicted!
Failure? You got fkn 4 band 6s and a high band 5, people like you insult those who got lower than you and are actually happy with their marks. You're like those annoying ppl in high school, "oH i faIled :(" whereas in reality they ended up getting marks in the 90s. Publically posting your outstanding results and then complaining that u feel like a failure only makes you come off as attention seeking, you couldve simply posted your marks without the "I feEl lIkE a GodDam faIluRe tbH" and you would've been fine, but NOOOO you had to add the stupid degenerate line. I was happy with my HSC marks because it meant I scored well enough to enter my preferred uni and degree. People need to stop with this bs, be happy you got such a good mark instead of finding a way to complain about it, not everyone is going to get a 99 atar. Stuff like this boils my blood honestly.

copyfrogs

HSC
kinda devo about english, my internals were all in the 90s so to get hit by that 85 feels rough... we'll see how I feel tomorrow but I just need a 95 atar and its looking like if I don't get it, I should be close (and I get EAS) :D
93 Bio
89 Chem
85 Physics
85 English Advanced
81 3U Maths
69 4U Maths
i got first internally in all my subjects and my assessment marks were just my hsc marks. that was something I knew would happen in 3U and 4U because im the only student lmao, but not in bio or english as my biggest classes (but theres only 15 and 12 of us respectively). does anyone know how that works and what that means for the other people in my classes?

JaxsenW

HSC
I mean it’s a bell curve so no scaling as such
Question though. If majority of the cohort does poorly, that means that lower marks should correlate to a higher rank/ATAR correct?

jjuunnee

HSC
Failure? You got fkn 4 band 6s and a high band 5, people like you insult those who got lower than you and are actually happy with their marks. You're like those annoying ppl in high school, "oH i faIled :(" whereas in reality they ended up getting marks in the 90s. Publically posting your outstanding results and then complaining that u feel like a failure only makes you come off as attention seeking, you couldve simply posted your marks without the "I feEl lIkE a GodDam faIluRe tbH" and you would've been fine, but NOOOO you had to add the stupid degenerate line. I was happy with my HSC marks because it meant I scored well enough to enter my preferred uni and degree. People need to stop with this bs, be happy you got such a good mark instead of finding a way to complain about it, not everyone is going to get a 99 atar. Stuff like this boils my blood honestly.
hahah chill. people have different expectations so it's fair for them to be upset over marks that might be considered good for you. it's not like they're whinging about it all the time to you

30june2016

HSC
Uni Grad
People need to stop with this bs, be happy you got such a good mark instead of finding a way to complain about it, not everyone is going to get a 99 atar. Stuff like this boils my blood honestly.
people have different expectations and goals for themselves so pls try not to bash on another person's feelings about their marks, it might seem attention seeking but maybe they genuinely feel upset because the hsc can be such an emotionally draining experience sometimes

anyway gl and congrats to everyone :) you guys just closed the loop on such a long journey thru y12, I hope you all get into the courses you want

Last edited:

Tugawar101

HSC
Uni Grad
hahah chill. people have different expectations so it's fair for them to be upset over marks that might be considered good for you. it's not like they're whinging about it all the time to you
Yeah different expectations sure, but its quite far from failure. If they're going to be upset, do it privately or with friends rather than an online public forum where there are people who've received lower marks than them and are genuinely upset about their performance. It's like rubbing salt into their wounds if someone who's achieved much higher than them complains about being a failure.

Tugawar101

HSC
Uni Grad
people have different expectations and goals for themselves so pls try not to bash on another person's feelings about their marks, it might seem attention seeking but maybe they genuinely feel upset because the hsc can be such an emotionally draining experience sometimes

anyway gl and congrats to everyone :) you guys just closed the loop on such a long journey thru y12, I hope you all get into the courses you want
They're technically bashing the feelings of people who are upset because they got low marks... Being upset about really high marks builds a toxic, elitist mentality, and trust me I've been surrounded by people like this during my HSC year, it's not as prevalent in University.

30june2016

HSC
Uni Grad
They're technically bashing the feelings of people who are upset because they got low marks... Being upset about really high marks builds a toxic, elitist mentality, and trust me I've been surrounded by people like this during my HSC year, it's not as prevalent in University.
Being the person w the lowest ATAR from my selective high school in my year, I know what you mean. But regardless of what mark people get - nothing makes anyone's opinion/emotions invalid.

Think about it: these kids have tried their absolute hardest, they can't help how they feel - it's just human. Now is not a good time to bash them even further, esp bc ATARs haven't even been released yet so ofc people will be worrying their ass off. But for people on the other side of HSC - they're in a course, whether it's the one they aimed for or not, and the ATAR is no longer the biggest of their worries, so nobody cares or talks about it anymore. Even then, uni marks are not as carefully scrutinised as the HSC so OFC this mindset is not as prevalent in university.

but yeah you're right this is a public forum - so to anyone reading this who is feeling like their marks aren't good enough after looking at everyone else's - it's ok, everyone has diff goals and expectations. If you feel good about ur marks, likewise, don't feel bad bc other ppl don't feel about theirs.

Last edited:

Tugawar101

HSC
Uni Grad
Being the person w the lowest ATAR from my selective high school in my year, I know what you mean. But regardless of what mark people get - nothing makes anyone's opinion/emotions invalid.

Think about it: these kids have tried their absolute hardest, they can't help how they feel - it's just human. Now is not a good time to bash them even further, esp bc ATARs haven't even been released yet so ofc people will be worrying their ass off.
Even if they've worked their asses off, they still need to be aware of what they say online and how it affects other people less well off than they are in terms of their academic performance. I'm sure a lot of people who have scored low atars have worked their asses off too but just didn't receive their desired results. I'm not invalidating their opinion or emotions I'm simply stating that it's insensitive to others who are much worse off than they are. You have to consider that the person who posted got all band 6s and one band 5 and labelled themselves as a failure, I'm sorry but I'm not having any of that. I've had ppl who r close to me, who've got worse results and were genuinely depressed for some time, and when someone else comes along with WAY higher marks and complains about being a failure, I'm sorry not having any of that.

jjuunnee

HSC
Yeah different expectations sure, but its quite far from failure. If they're going to be upset, do it privately or with friends rather than an online public forum where there are people who've received lower marks than them and are genuinely upset about their performance. It's like rubbing salt into their wounds if someone who's achieved much higher than them complains about being a failure.
Yeah fair enough - it can be very annoying when people make a big show of it and complain about it non stop, but they just said one sentence that was an honest reflection of how they felt about their results. If they went on for another 2 weeks then yeah, maybe tell them to stop. Also, it didn't help too much when they were upset and you wrote a reply that could be considered quite harsh

TheOnePheeph

HSC
Hi Everyone, Congratulations on your results.

I am accelerated in advanced maths and received an 100. Does anyone know if this will get me a state rank or not? Thanks in advance, I'm kinda new to this, so I'm not sure of the process or anything.

jjuunnee

HSC
Hi Everyone, Congratulations on your results.

I am accelerated in advanced maths and received an 100. Does anyone know if this will get me a state rank or not? Thanks in advance, I'm kinda new to this, so I'm not sure of the process or anything.
wow congrats!!!

I'm not too sure bc clearly I haven't state ranked but with maths it's quite competitive so a lot of people would get 100. At this point I think they look at your internal marks, but also they could just give out state ranks to everyone who got 100 and do something similar to genny maths

Master Singleton

The Night Owl
HSC
Uni Grad
Congrats Class of 2018 and don't forget that if you didn't get into your first choice Uni you can still do well at your second or third choice Uni for Undergrad and still get into your first choice Uni for Postgrad study.

Tugawar101

HSC
Uni Grad
Yeah fair enough - it can be very annoying when people make a big show of it and complain about it non stop, but they just said one sentence that was an honest reflection of how they felt about their results. If they went on for another 2 weeks then yeah, maybe tell them to stop. Also, it didn't help too much when they were upset and you wrote a reply that could be considered quite harsh
It's much harsher to those who got a lower mark. I question if they were genuinely upset with those marks tho... Getting exemplary results and saying "I feel like a failure" isn't an honest reflection of how someone feels about their results. If someone failed or performed quite badly and then said "I feel like a failure" is an honest reflection of how someone feels about their results. You could respond with "failure is relative to the person" but this is absurd because a vast majority of people would not consider that a 'fail'.

Drdusk

HSC
Uni Grad
To the guy saying I'm insulting people with my post.

I'm really not. I've also been constantly getting messages from friends who all got 99+ Atar's asking for my results even though mine are no where near as good as theirs. Either way I'm not pissed off by this even though they probably are judging me.

Getting good results is subjective, I have talked to people that have gotten band 3's and they're extremely happy with their results when I wouldn't have been.

On a note if you are insulted by these kinds of comments then clearly you are a bit insecure about your own results. YOU should be proud of what you have achieved and not be getting pissed off at others frustration at their own results

Never did I let all the higher atar's/marks around me let me feel uncomfortable or angry.

Peace

Last edited:

jjuunnee

HSC
It's much harsher to those who got a lower mark. I question if they were genuinely upset with those marks tho... Getting exemplary results and saying "I feel like a failure" isn't an honest reflection of how someone feels about their results. If someone failed or performed quite badly and then said "I feel like a failure" is an honest reflection of how someone feels about their results. You could respond with "failure is relative to the person" but this is absurd because a vast majority of people would not consider that a 'fail'.
But failure is relative to the person! For example, someone at a selective school with those marks might think that they failed, bc everyone else around them would be getting above 95 for all of their subjects. They also might feel like a failure if they had wanted to get into a difficult course such as med but couldn't get the ridiculously high atar needed. Again, people have different expectations and different goals, so they are entitled to feel like a failure when they don't reach those expectations.

Anyway, even though they might feel like a failure, I think that they did amazing, and I think that we should encourage them and tell them that they did well, and that not everything is over, instead of attacking them. Again, I completely understand how you feel about this, but like you said, there's no need to be vocal about it :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)