2018 HSC+ATAR results discussion Thread (1 Viewer)

BLIT2014

The pessimistic optimist.
HSC
Uni Grad
Did anybody else get a way higher atar than expected? I was stoked with my 97.20!! Scaling was kind to me [emoji24][emoji24] I almost couldn’t believe it when I saw it haha

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Ooh nice! Well done!

BLIT2014

HSC
Uni Grad
i was wondering if i can get into the course i put as my first preference because it doesn't have a guaranteed atar but it says that "most applicants" need a specific atar or over to get in.... I got an atar that is around 3 marks higher than the LA but 0.1 marks under the "specific atar" that is required. Would I have a chance of getting in if I only got 0.1 marks below?
How long is a piece of string? Put it first, and see what happens. Which course/uni?

cindywelis

HSC
N/A
Hey, I received a low ATAR of 58.35, is it still possible for me get into B of Nursing at WSU, UTS or ACU? If not, do you know any other universities that accepts low atar such as mine? Preferably near the city.

Thank you

boredofstudiesuser1

HSC
Hey, I received a low ATAR of 58.35, is it still possible for me get into B of Nursing at WSU, UTS or ACU? If not, do you know any other universities that accepts low atar such as mine? Preferably near the city.

Thank you
You should maybe look into doing a diploma at TAFE or something and then transferring - it'll take time off your degree anyway AND it's so much cheaper. Regardless of my ATAR, I'm doing that for my course and I've already got employment because of it :)
https://www.tafensw.edu.au/course/-/c/c/HLT54115-01/Diploma-of-Nursing

mariakery1

HSC
I have a question. Since I did bio accelerated, does that mean my marks will by scaled (by UAC) differently than those who do bio in 2019.

XF

HSC

Got 3 band 5s and calculators indicated 80s
Scaling did not do me well
Really disappointed as goal was 80+

BLIT2014

HSC
Uni Grad
I have a question. Since I did bio accelerated, does that mean my marks will by scaled (by UAC) differently than those who do bio in 2019.
You'll keep the mark that you've got in this years HSC, which has already been scaled.

BLIT2014

HSC
Uni Grad

Got 3 band 5s and calculators indicated 80s
Scaling did not do me well
Really disappointed as goal was 80+
Higher then the median ATAR so you've done well compared to a lot of people.

Are you planning to go to Uni?

BLIT2014

HSC
Uni Grad

Thank you
Yes. There are still quite a few rounds of offers left.

Maybe also lower down the list put ACU ballerat as it only requires an ATAR of 58.55 which is very close to your ATAR.

salbal

HSC
Hi, I was wondering what the difference is between the Psychological Science course at UNSW and majoring in Psychology in the Bachelor of Arts or Bachelor of Science course. Which one would be easier to transfer to the Psychology Honours course? And also, would the Psychological Science course be more focused on studying psychology than you would in BA or BS?

nannan016

HSC
N/A
Hi, I was wondering what the difference is between the Psychological Science course at UNSW and majoring in Psychology in the Bachelor of Arts or Bachelor of Science course. Which one would be easier to transfer to the Psychology Honours course? And also, would the Psychological Science course be more focused on studying psychology than you would in BA or BS?
Want to ask exactly the same question...
Went to the info day, and the lady said that there’s not much difference. if consider them all as pathway to psychology, they all still need to get 75% + over 3 yrs no matter which degree. But like B science and art does gives students more opportunities to study different courses and field. Whereas students that did B psychology but not well enough will be put into B psychological science later on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Frostguard

HSC
Personally from what I've read-
UNSW Psychology (Honours)- bigger emphasis on Psych, not much freedom/electives, but as long as you maintain 75% you can get into Hons
UNSW Psychological Science- emphasis on Psych, but have options/majors (neuro, vision, HRM, philoso, eg), if you maintain 75% can you get into Psych Sci Hons program

MQ- Psychology (Hons) - don't know much but its a 4 year degree which would again, have a bigger focus on psych subjects
MQ- Bachelor of Science or Art majoring in Psych- again depends which one you do science means more focus on scientific aspect eg bio chem phys maybe head towards healthcare/scientific fields and art would be more social science type stuff like teaching, yeah idk I put this into my UAC

I remember going to UNSW Open Day and I asked them should I do B of Psych Sci then transfer into Psych (Hons) and the guy was like theres no point in doing that since youre basically learning the same things. Do Psych Hons if you want to be knowledged in Psych itself, do Psych Sci or B of Art/Science majoring in Psych at MQ if you want more options, freedom/ majors, yeah idk

Btw where all my UNSW Psych Sci kids at??? :headbang:

entartung

HSC
Personally from what I've read-
UNSW Psychology (Honours)- bigger emphasis on Psych, not much freedom/electives, but as long as you maintain 75% you can get into Hons
UNSW Psychological Science- emphasis on Psych, but have options/majors (neuro, vision, HRM, philoso, eg), if you maintain 75% can you get into Psych Sci Hons program

MQ- Psychology (Hons) - don't know much but its a 4 year degree which would again, have a bigger focus on psych subjects
MQ- Bachelor of Science or Art majoring in Psych- again depends which one you do science means more focus on scientific aspect eg bio chem phys maybe head towards healthcare/scientific fields and art would be more social science type stuff like teaching, yeah idk I put this into my UAC

I remember going to UNSW Open Day and I asked them should I do B of Psych Sci then transfer into Psych (Hons) and the guy was like theres no point in doing that since youre basically learning the same things. Do Psych Hons if you want to be knowledged in Psych itself, do Psych Sci or B of Art/Science majoring in Psych at MQ if you want more options, freedom/ majors, yeah idk

Btw where all my UNSW Psych Sci kids at??? :headbang:
Thanks for sharing this info! A bit confused though, as i remember being told that the psychology major in the bachelor of arts (UNSW) isn't accredited? So you won't be able to go on to do a masters and become a registered psychologist. I've looked on UNSW's website and it's fuzzy with the details on psychology done through arts. I actually really want to go the arts route, as being a humanities person, i can't see myself completing it through a science degree. Psychology via arts at USYD and Macquarie seem to be accredited though.

Last edited:

BLIT2014

HSC
Uni Grad
Me : ) I got accepted for Bachelor of Media with the degree of Bachelor of Laws. Hope to see you there!
Welcome to Macquarie!! I’ve meet some lovely people in the media department at Macquarie.

BLIT2014

HSC
Uni Grad
Thanks for sharing this info! A bit confused though, as i remember being told that the psychology major in the bachelor of arts (UNSW) isn't accredited? So you won't be able to go on to do a masters and become a registered psychologist. I've looked on UNSW's website and it's fuzzy with the details on psychology done through arts. I actually really want to go the arts route, as being a humanities person, i can't see myself completing it through a science degree. Psychology via arts at USYD and Macquarie seem to be accredited though.
Which uni are you closest too?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)