2018ers Chit-Chat Thread (2 Viewers)

PikyoK

HSC
Could you please complete my survey for my Personal Interest Project thank you I can do yours in return. This will only take 3-5 mins.
https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/NT2J3QH
Hi. I just completed your survey and I liked it.

You are so lucky Society and Culture is offered at your school. I love that subject. I wish my school offered it to us.

kendallkreene

HSC
Looked over my Modern notes... 74 pages, handwritten. o.o

Is this normal or would I need to shorten them?

Frostguard

HSC

as in 36 double sided pages or 74 single pages?? idk kendall that seems really long im only on like 34 single pages or 17 double pages, but im sure will get up tp 40 once i finish off dot point 3 (turning point of WW1) but yeah you might need to shorten them D: unless you've finished the whole of WW1?

kendallkreene

HSC
as in 36 double sided pages or 74 single pages?? idk kendall that seems really long im only on like 34 single pages or 17 double pages, but im sure will get up tp 40 once i finish off dot point 3 (turning point of WW1) but yeah you might need to shorten them D: unless you've finished the whole of WW1?
36 double pages!

Doesn’t sound that long when we put it that way. And yeah, it’s the entirety of the WWI course.

notthedevil

I love the Pakenham line
HSC

I probably wouldn't worry about shortening them, probably just focus on understanding and studying your notes. I ended up with 39 handwritten pages (aka. 19.5 double sided pages), but everyone creates notes differently so as long as you can study through them at a reasonable pace, you should be all good (maybe if they take a while to study through, then maybe consider shortening?) However, right after you know the general course of WWI, I probably wouldn't even look at the WWI notes very much anymore, because the most vital part of the WWI topic is source analysis and forming judgements about sources, so I would just be doing source questions from textbooks, past papers, or even doing some basic analysis of sources from the internet :)

jdzg

HSC
Uni Grad
36 double pages!

Doesn’t sound that long when we put it that way. And yeah, it’s the entirety of the WWI course.
Basically, I agree with notthedevil. For WWI, you can honestly get away with a rather rudimentary knowledge of the content (and by that, I even mean get 25/25), simply because the examination content largely revolves around your ability in analysing sources. Although I would obviously recommend you to study the content thoroughly, I think 74 pages is somewhat excessive, and revising this would not be the most efficient use of your time. Instead, I would recommend making flashcards of raw data (espc. statistics, which are probably underused) or factual information (you don't need that much knowledge), and formulating ideas/theses from these (so you have an overarching idea of what to write in questions which ask for your own knowledge etc.)

Of course, going through practice questions is most important.

BLIT2014

The pessimistic optimist.
HSC
Uni Grad
If they are handwritten then I don't think thats a concern at this stage. As you memorise/study them, you can create smaller summaries to jog your memory.

SM2001

HSC
N/A
I've started studying today because I've been on holiday made for all of december and first 8 days of Janurary and I'm really stressing that it's too late

notthedevil

I love the Pakenham line
HSC
Hey guys, I've been seeing a few conflicting opinions on the whole idea of whether to study during these summer holidays. Lately I've been doing about 6.5 hours of school work each day (dedicating at least 2 hours for my visual arts major work, 1 hour for EE2 major work, and then writing notes and essays for the rest of my subjects each day). I'm starting to question whether this is necessary though, with a lot of people with high ATARs saying they didn't do heaps during these holidays.

For the (ideal) ATAR that I'm aiming for, am I wasting my time that may be better spent just chilling out? In terms of burning out, I haven't felt any effects of it so far, and each day I feel really happy to be doing my school work (especially major works and French).

PikyoK

HSC
Hello Everyone!

I have a Biology question. Name the process by which urea and other waste materials are removed from the blood during dialysis. Is this active or passive transport?

same1111

HSC
N/A
Hello Everyone!

I have a Biology question. Name the process by which urea and other waste materials are removed from the blood during dialysis. Is this active or passive transport?
Passive transport. Process is diffusion (through semi permeable membrane).

spaghettii

HSC
Uni Grad
Hey guys, I've been seeing a few conflicting opinions on the whole idea of whether to study during these summer holidays. Lately I've been doing about 6.5 hours of school work each day (dedicating at least 2 hours for my visual arts major work, 1 hour for EE2 major work, and then writing notes and essays for the rest of my subjects each day). I'm starting to question whether this is necessary though, with a lot of people with high ATARs saying they didn't do heaps during these holidays.

For the (ideal) ATAR that I'm aiming for, am I wasting my time that may be better spent just chilling out? In terms of burning out, I haven't felt any effects of it so far, and each day I feel really happy to be doing my school work (especially major works and French).
Do however much work you feel happy and comfortable with. If you feel like working during the holidays will benefit you and your studies, then by all means do it. You aren't wasting your time at all if the work you're doing is helping you. However if you ever start to feel burnout then take a break.

kendallkreene

HSC

I have a friend whose sister did really well for her ATAR last year. She didn't do any work during the summer holidays, as many high-achievers have said. She also noted that some of her peers who did seemed to have burned out - not saying that it happens for everyone who worked in the holidays! However, burning-out is a real danger as I remember I went ahead of the course before Year 11 started, and burned out by the second term.

It's great that you're working on your majors, though. It is really recommended to get drafts of those out in the holidays. Also recommended to catch up on semester 1 work if you're behind. But if you're making notes ahead of time, then make a permanent mental imprint not to burn out as the year goes on, because it actually is a common trap.

jjuunnee

HSC

Wow 6.5hrs every day is so impressive!! I struggle to force myself to do like an hour each day haha

If you feel really happy doing your school work then keep doing it!! However, if you start to feel exhausted then it's ok to take a day or two off to chill or hang out with friends. These holidays are probably the best time to chill and to look after yourself before exams come in and the workload increases. Also, the amount of time you should spend studying over the holidays depends on how well you coped with the workload of the first term and your goals eg. if you did really well you don't need to spend as much time studying if you don't want to or you can maybe learn ahead. However, if you struggled during the first term then revising over stuff you've learnt over the holidays would be really beneficial for the new year. People who are naturally smart may not need to spend as much time studying over the holidays because they can easily understand stuff taught in class without much extra work at home, while others may need extra study time to go over hard concepts.

It is true that a lot of people can get high atars without studying too much during these holidays- either they're genius and they don't study much in general or they treat these holidays as a break and use their time efficiently during the school term. But study habits are different for everybody; do what makes you happy.

Enjoy your holidays!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)