2020 HSC+ ATAR results discussion Thread (1 Viewer)

#RoadTo31Atar

HSC
What atars you guys gotten after your estimates, just curious to see how much the calculators gonna underestimate
For 2020 we can't really say rn because we're just trying to guess our HSC marks for estimates until they actually come out tomorrow

#RoadTo31Atar

HSC
Haha that's what I meant sorry your estimates
My 1st pref needs an 88 ATAR assuming 3 bonus points from B5 in adv math for a 91SR. Whether or not I get it will be very close either way I think mostly because my english mark is gonna be ass while everything else should be B6 or close to it. I also do an unpopular language so I'm not too sure what to expect scaling wise but I'm confident in a B6 for it. So that's pretty much it although I didn't give a number for an estimate because I really don't know tbh.

Mememeist3r

HSC
I don’t think any will be 100% accurate bc don’t they use all the previous years stats?
Yes, its mostly empirically derived algorithms using previous years' scaling data. For example, 2019 the scaling was pretty off, so if u were to get an ATAR of say, 99.5, using a particular set of HSC marks with 2018 scaling, in 2019, the exact same marks would get you a 99.1 or 99.05. You see for yourself using HSCninja, which is why it gives XX.XX atar +- a few percentage points.

Husky

HSC
Yes, its mostly empirically derived algorithms using previous years' scaling data. For example, 2019 the scaling was pretty off, so if u were to get an ATAR of say, 99.5, using a particular set of HSC marks with 2018 scaling, in 2019, the exact same marks would get you a 99.1 or 99.05. You see for yourself using HSCninja, which is why it gives XX.XX atar +- a few percentage points.
any reason for the scaling being off?

Trebla

Administrator
Administrator
HSC
ATAR calculators estimate ATARs differently to how the ATARs are actually calculated. You need the data for every student in the state for all their subjects to do that.

ATAR calculators mostly try to just make interpolations based on any data that is publicly available (think of it as trying to do a line or curve of best fit with very limited data). So obviously you’re going to get margins of error when you do that.

magicgate3

HSC
Uni Grad
My 1st pref needs an 88 ATAR assuming 3 bonus points from B5 in adv math for a 91SR. Whether or not I get it will be very close either way I think mostly because my english mark is gonna be ass while everything else should be B6 or close to it. I also do an unpopular language so I'm not too sure what to expect scaling wise but I'm confident in a B6 for it. So that's pretty much it although I didn't give a number for an estimate because I really don't know tbh.
Eco at USYD?

HSC
omg i've asked this before but with a rank of 41/59 for adv maths do u guys think its possible for me to get a band 4??? im so stressed rip to my e12 offer if not fml lol

Husky

HSC
Im curious to see the chemistry scaling this year, I heard the hsc exam really fucked people over
yeah exam was busted in terms of difficulty, hardest chem exam in the past 20 years imo. Do you mean though the exam alignment or the atar scaling?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)