• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

2024 HSC Chat (9 Viewers)

[ ]

HSC
Uni Grad
Can someone explain the difference between normal distribution and sample proportion and when to use each one please 😭.
Normal distribution = Follows the 95-68-99 rule

The numbers represents the proportion of the population that fits under the standard deviations. For example, If you start to check on the most average of the population, and you see that 68% of the whole population fits around that category, and then you check on a broader category, and found out that 95% of the population fits that category, and then 99.7% fits the even broader category, this is a typical example of a normal distribution. Here's a pretty good example of it. 1718612735792.png

Sample proportion = The proportion of the sample that successes, or meets certain conditions.

For example, you have a sample population of 50 people. You want to test how many of them have diabetes. Your test results indicates that 10 of them have diabetes. The sample proportion will be 10/50=0.2

[ ]

HSC
Uni Grad
Sounds like a plan to me, count me in
If you're doing B Econ, you'll encounter these concepts in your first year statistics or data analysis course. That's what I did in my first year econ data analysis unit, also hypothesis testing, p-values, chi-square analysis, ANOVA, t-test. If you haven't done it, it's probably a good idea to mark them down. Each uni is slightly different though, so I can't say confidently.

AsuTeksu

Rising Renewal
HSC
out of curiosity, is there a tutoring centre with a tick as a watermark?

my teacher accidentally had a file open with it and quickly closed their laptop

HazzRat

H̊ͯaͤz͠z̬̼iẻͩ̊͏̖͈̪
HSC
I’ve been seldom active for the past month. Did I miss anything?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 9)