2026 HSC CHAT (4 Viewers)

Lolzers

HSC
It’s not abt the subjects man its abt how well u do in the subjects u do in y11 and 12
Who cares abt scaling

Bendwhat?_over

HSC
It’s not abt the subjects man its abt how well u do in the subjects u do in y11 and 12
Who cares abt scaling
It's not just that, I did genuinely want to do those subjects regardless of scaling. I can push myself to be interested in other subjects, but it's not going to come as naturally, you know?

Also I was in a bad mood. Still am, but less so

spiderfan44

HSC
Random but how do you guys find motivation to study?
never studied in yr 10 but i keep studying now due to routine. its not motivation per say, but more of im in a habit so i just keep going. i have a set time i start studying each day and finish. i also study every day, though youre in yr 10 so you should be fine doing something like maybe you do it every tuesday. also set goals on what you want to do in each session eg; i want to study this dotpoint

WeiWeiMan

HSC
Random but how do you guys find motivation to study?
motivation gonna fail yo ass (i'm lucky that I haven't been killed by my lack of discipline given my small workload)
discipline >>>>

Who cares abt scaling
ngl it's easier to get a better scaled mark in higher scaling subjects
like 40-50 raw in 4u is way better than a b6 in business studies (i think)

amatterra

HSC
never studied in yr 10 but i keep studying now due to routine. its not motivation per say, but more of im in a habit so i just keep going. i have a set time i start studying each day and finish. i also study every day, though youre in yr 10 so you should be fine doing something like maybe you do it every tuesday. also set goals on what you want to do in each session eg; i want to study this dotpoint
how did you start that habit?

spiderfan44

HSC
how did you start that habit?
it initially started because i was kind of forced to because i had two weeks until my year 11 prelims so i started studying at 5 and finished at 9.

thats not really a good way to get into that routine though. so what i would recommend for now is choosing a time to start, keep that starting time the same throughout increasing study. start studying 30 minutes a day every day, then the next week 1 hour a day, etc. if you cant bring yourself to study during that time, at least do something productive like reading, writing, drawing , etc. use pomodoro technique, it helps with endurance. also make sure youre studying in the same space everyday (apart from your bed, do not study on your bed!!!)

amatterra

HSC
it initially started because i was kind of forced to because i had two weeks until my year 11 prelims so i started studying at 5 and finished at 9.

thats not really a good way to get into that routine though. so what i would recommend for now is choosing a time to start, keep that starting time the same throughout increasing study. start studying 30 minutes a day every day, then the next week 1 hour a day, etc. if you cant bring yourself to study during that time, at least do something productive like reading, writing, drawing , etc. use pomodoro technique, it helps with endurance. also make sure youre studying in the same space everyday (apart from your bed, do not study on your bed!!!)
oooh okayy, I want to get in to habit of regularly studying from now so i don't have to suffer the pain of discipline (and failure) then hahaha

Bendwhat?_over

HSC

I agree with the last statement a lot LOL

hi_998

HSC
hey guys i have my subject selection today and i need some questions answered plez :D
-ext 1 math (certain)
-ext 1 eng
-physics (certain)
-biology
-study of religion 1 unit (certain)
-some other 2 unit course

---------------------
questions;
1. im gonna try get into ext 2 math in yr 12, and also i hate english. my mates said to give ext eng a go and drop to advanced in yr 11 if i want. but my question is, whats the major differnce between advanced eng and ext eng? like time wise, and level of difficulty

2. ok im def doing physics but im gonna pick another sceicne. i really hate chem, but at the same time im not a fan of bio... what r yalls thoughts on bio? is it worht chosnig?

3. i have to pick another 2 unit course, any suggestions? i was thinking va but its too much effort. this 2 unit couse is something im definitely dropping in yr 12. any ideas? like hows histroy?

----------
thanks guys!! also sorry for asking alot

amatterra

HSC
Yo chat I'm in a dilemma, so I genuinely want to do Eng Adv cus I'm tryna do well in english and improve my english and writing and develop critical thinking skills and stufff and knowing my cohort, if I choose standards ppl are gonna disturb the class learning + my teachers are like "choose EALD" cause I'm an EALD student but my English isnt that bad and I feel like choosing that shit wont help me to develop my english skills or whatever and it's so fkn annoying

if I have to honestly I'll do standards whatever it's fine but I legit dont want to do EALD, I know being an EALD student in Adv is super hard but im a hardworker trust WGBEROUIGBE80GHEG08 WTF MAN I HATE THIS SO MUCH
okay im done ranting (plshelp)

jimmysmith560

Le Phénix Trilingue
HSC
Uni Grad
Yo chat I'm in a dilemma, so I genuinely want to do Eng Adv cus I'm tryna do well in english and improve my english and writing and develop critical thinking skills and stufff and knowing my cohort, if I choose standards ppl are gonna disturb the class learning + my teachers are like "choose EALD" cause I'm an EALD student but my English isnt that bad and I feel like choosing that shit wont help me to develop my english skills or whatever and it's so fkn annoying

if I have to honestly I'll do standards whatever it's fine but I legit dont want to do EALD, I know being an EALD student in Adv is a super hard but im a hardworker trust WGBEROUIGBE80GHEG08 WTF MAN I HATE THIS SO MUCH
okay im done ranting (plshelp)
I was about to post in your thread but you deleted it. Anyway, here are my thoughts:

I was in a similar position to you when I was your age. I was eligible to take EAL/D when I was choosing my subjects for year 11, but I wanted to take English Standard to prove that I could improve my English and study the same content as well as complete the same assessment tasks/exams as native English speakers. The teacher who was helping me with subject selection recommended that I take EAL/D given my non-English speaking background, and I reluctantly agreed. I was disappointed until I found out that I could not take EAL/D due to a clash with another subject, which made me happy because I got to take English Standard instead. I ended up achieving a band 5 in the subject, which I was happy with given my circumstances at the time.

However, I sometimes wonder how I would have performed in EAL/D, had I taken it (i.e. if it did not clash with the other subject). I think that perhaps I could have achieved a better HSC mark in EAL/D than in English Standard, given the nature of the subject. Essentially, if you come from a non-English speaking background, and have the opportunity to take EAL/D, you should definitely consider it. I believe that your teachers mean well when they recommend EAL/D. Both English Standard and English Advanced are inherently more challenging than EAL/D, and (if I am not mistaken) EAL/D marking tends to be slightly more lenient to take into account the fact that students who take this subject are from a non-English speaking background.

With that being said, if you are confident that you can do well in English Standard or English Advanced (you may wish to consider your performance in year 10 English as an indication), you could perhaps take either subject. I am one of many cases of students from non-English speaking backgrounds not taking EAL/D. You should definitely discuss this further with your teachers.

I hope this helps! 😄

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 4)