2026 HSC CHAT (3 Viewers)

amatterra

HSC
I was about to post in your thread but you deleted it. Anyway, here are my thoughts:

I was in a similar position to you when I was your age. I was eligible to take EAL/D when I was choosing my subjects for year 11, but I wanted to take English Standard to prove that I could improve my English and study the same content as well as complete the same assessment tasks/exams as native English speakers. The teacher who was helping me with subject selection recommended that I take EAL/D given my non-English speaking background, and I reluctantly agreed. I was disappointed until I found out that I could not take EAL/D due to a clash with another subject, which made me happy because I got to take English Standard instead. I ended up achieving a band 5 in the subject, which I was happy with given my circumstances at the time.

However, I sometimes wonder how I would have performed in EAL/D, had I taken it (i.e. if it did not clash with the other subject). I think that perhaps I could have achieved a better HSC mark in EAL/D than in English Standard, given the nature of the subject. Essentially, if you come from a non-English speaking background, and have the opportunity to take EAL/D, you should definitely consider it. I believe that your teachers mean well when they recommend EAL/D. Both English Standard and English Advanced are inherently more challenging than EAL/D, and (if I am not mistaken) EAL/D marking tends to be slightly more lenient to take into account the fact that students who take this subject are from a non-English speaking background.

With that being said, if you are confident that you can do well in English Standard or English Advanced (you may wish to consider your performance in year 10 English as an indication), you could perhaps take either subject. I am one of many cases of students from non-English speaking backgrounds not taking EAL/D. You should definitely discuss this further with your teachers.

I hope this helps! 😄
Would doing reallly well in EALD scale like a low b5 or something in Standards?
the only thing is I need to get at least a 90 ATAR for the degree I want to do and I'm just scared that 1) EALD won't help me get a good ATAR given than our English marks is one of the big contributors to our ATAR and 2) won't equip me for "academic" / university English if you know what I mean

Another thing is my EALD teacher right now isn't the best, she was a second teacher for my English class this year but now she's our main teacher since my other English teacher went on maternal leave and she's not really helpful, she goes off on a tangent instead of answering my question so that's one of the factors why I don't want to do EALD. (but she's really nice and lovely)

But looking back at my past English marks I'd probably get a low b5 or high b4 in Adv so I'll just lean towards Standard

amatterra

HSC
the only thing is I need to get AT LEAST a 90 ATAR for the degree I want to do and I'm just scared that 1) EALD won't help me get a good ATAR given than our English marks is one of the big contributors to our ATAR and 2) won't equip me for "academic" / university English if you know what I mean

Another thing is my EALD teacher right now isn't the best, she was a second teacher for my English class this year but now she's our main teacher since my other English teacher went on maternal leave and she's not really helpful, she goes off on a tangent instead of answering my question so that's one of the factors why I don't want to do EALD. (but she's really nice and lovely)

But looking back at my past English marks I'd probably get a low b5 or high b4 in Adv so I'll just lean towards Standard

spiderfan44

HSC
not relatable i hate rock stuff tho i just like countries n shit
y11 - 12 geo doesnt really cover 'countries', as in information about specific countries, flags etc.

the yr11 covers it a bit more, as in it covers globalisation and some optional stuff w global conflict

y12 only really covers countries in the sense of megacities, and the challenges they face

spiderfan44

HSC
hey guys i have my subject selection today and i need some questions answered plez :D
-ext 1 math (certain)
-ext 1 eng
-physics (certain)
-biology
-study of religion 1 unit (certain)
-some other 2 unit course

---------------------
questions;
1. im gonna try get into ext 2 math in yr 12, and also i hate english. my mates said to give ext eng a go and drop to advanced in yr 11 if i want. but my question is, whats the major differnce between advanced eng and ext eng? like time wise, and level of difficulty

2. ok im def doing physics but im gonna pick another sceicne. i really hate chem, but at the same time im not a fan of bio... what r yalls thoughts on bio? is it worht chosnig?

3. i have to pick another 2 unit course, any suggestions? i was thinking va but its too much effort. this 2 unit couse is something im definitely dropping in yr 12. any ideas? like hows histroy?

----------
thanks guys!! also sorry for asking alot
3. id recommend against va if you struggle w time management. plus 50% of the mark is major work and the other 50% theory, so not great if u dont like art theory and you arent great at writing english essays

2. bio is a lot of work, less than chem but still quite a lot of content. imo earth is fun, but it does scale poorly and a lot of people are not interested in it as a subject.

jimmysmith560

Le Phénix Trilingue
HSC
Uni Grad
the only thing is I need to get at least a 90 ATAR for the degree I want to do and I'm just scared that 1) EALD won't help me get a good ATAR given than our English marks is one of the big contributors to our ATAR and 2) won't equip me for "academic" / university English if you know what I mean

A band 6 in EAL/D is better than a band 5 in English Standard. In 2023, highest ATAR achieved with EAL/D was 99.95, whereas the highest ATAR achieved with English Standard was 99.60. This means that neither subject will prevent you from achieving a 90+ ATAR, nor will any subject for that matter. However, your point about being better equipped for university studies is a good one, especially since universities typically recommend studying either English Standard or English Advanced.

I think that you may be able to perform well in English Standard without getting overwhelmed. Alternatively, you can take English Advanced in year 11 and see how you go. If you find that it is too difficult, you can drop to English Standard.

amatterra

HSC
A band 6 in EAL/D is better than a band 5 in English Standard. In 2023, highest ATAR achieved with EAL/D was 99.95, whereas the highest ATAR achieved with English Standard was 99.60. This means that neither subject will prevent you from achieving a 90+ ATAR, nor will any subject for that matter. However, your point about being better equipped for university studies is a good one, especially since universities typically recommend studying either English Standard or English Advanced.

I think that you may be able to perform well in English Standard without getting overwhelmed. Alternatively, you can take English Advanced in year 11 and see how you go. If you find that it is too difficult, you can drop to English Standard.
Ooohh the dilemma is killing me 😔 thank you Jimmy! You're very helpful, I'll just have to consult with my teachers more :spin:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 3)