2nd Round Offers for Medicine (1 Viewer)

yasminee96

HSC
Hey BoS...been a while since I posted on this thing.

Anyway
So I sat an interview and the PQA for JMP in December (ATAR 98 UMAT 76 59-58-50), however unfortunately did not receive any offers in the main round. Now in my correspondence I was told others were more competitive and I'll be considered for later rounds.
So i thought i'd probs have a higher chance if i changed my application to also bonded, because i want to work rural anyway and don't know why i didn't check it in the first place, so i gave UoN a call to see if i can change my preference to bonded. Now the guy who answered was not of the med faculty, just a future students guy, and seemed a little young and a little doubtful of what he was saying, but when i asked this question, he simply told me there are NO second round offers for non-interstate students for medicine. I was super confused and questioned why the hell they said on UAC that i will be considered for later rounds, and he just said they write it for every degree, but med is way too competitive so they don't actually do second rounds "sorry about that".

Is this legit? I always just assumed that so many people decide not to do med in UoN or UNE because of an offer in a sydney uni (USYD or UNSW or UWS) or simply because they can't afford moving out, and thus decline their offers and in the end there are vacancies for second round, and those who had just missed out would then get an offer...it's what i've thought for a couple of years now, and i know many others have too.

So, does anyone know anything about this?

thanks guys for any responses :)

Last edited:

bangladesh

HSC
Well yea.. JMP always over-offers from what I hear which means that even though people reject the offers, there'll still have enough people for the course. I am sorry to tell you but i highly doubt you'll be given a second/third round offer because interstate/nz kids weren't considered for first round offers so im assuming if there are any offers, it'll go to them.

yasminee96

HSC
thanks for the response! Yeah well i just needed to make sure, especially considering i don't wanna be charged for rent and wait around till second rounds only to find out there are no second rounds LOL
super fine with it tho. just means im one step closer. woo! back to #optomlife

bangladesh

HSC
Yea don't give up haha. I was in your position and got in this year, if med is what you truly want, then dont stop chasing it

MiseryParade

HSC
I called Tracey Bristow today to see if I might land an unbonded offer in second round offers, and she told me that she's pretty sure they won't be offering anyone in second round, and that third round might see some offers, unlikely as it is.

Medman

HSC
You can always hope! Should consider asking someone to help you with your interview next time since JMP only ranks you only based on your interview score. This might mean contacting other students from JMP, doctors (ideally ones doing the MMI), getting some tutoring etc. Always better to over prepare than to under prepare. If you look at a financial standpoint you will be spending another year in optom (I don't know how much that would cost per year) in addition you will be missing out a year's pay at the most basic level that is ~$80k before tax. Imagine if you spent some money training or preparing yourself ($1-2k) you'll still be way ahead in finances.

yasminee96

HSC
Yea don't give up haha. I was in your position and got in this year, if med is what you truly want, then dont stop chasing it
Thanks!

I called Tracey Bristow today to see if I might land an unbonded offer in second round offers, and she told me that she's pretty sure they won't be offering anyone in second round, and that third round might see some offers, unlikely as it is.
Replied on fb ty <3

You can always hope! Should consider asking someone to help you with your interview next time since JMP only ranks you only based on your interview score. This might mean contacting other students from JMP, doctors (ideally ones doing the MMI), getting some tutoring etc. Always better to over prepare than to under prepare. If you look at a financial standpoint you will be spending another year in optom (I don't know how much that would cost per year) in addition you will be missing out a year's pay at the most basic level that is ~$80k before tax. Imagine if you spent some money training or preparing yourself ($1-2k) you'll still be way ahead in finances.
I think I'm pretty keen at going with the flow with UMAT, and instead attempt GAMSAT (and go really hard out) this year...if my results are good, finish off vision science next year, and apply postgraduate. More opportunities post grad and at least I haven't wasted any money, because I'll still be getting a vision science degree :) Thanks anyway...

Medman

HSC
All the best. Vision science degree might help you if you pursue ophthalmology but it has little impact on practicing as a doctor so in the long run people who do two degrees are worse off. I mean ultimately as long as you do something you enjoy but I think people still should think about the financial aspect to everything.

Don't take GAMSAT lightly because it requires more study and dedication than the UMAT. It also tests your endurance, 6 hour exam.

yasminee96

HSC
All the best. Vision science degree might help you if you pursue ophthalmology but it has little impact on practicing as a doctor so in the long run people who do two degrees are worse off. I mean ultimately as long as you do something you enjoy but I think people still should think about the financial aspect to everything.

Don't take GAMSAT lightly because it requires more study and dedication than the UMAT. It also tests your endurance, 6 hour exam.
Well I tried studying hard for UMAT and I tried not studying for UMAT at all and got the same mark both times. So I think I'll do umat once more this year but not hard out, do GAMSAT hard out this year and give it a go. And plus, I've been a great saver this year :) It really isn't a big deal in terms of money. Optom or med pretty sure it'll pay off within a reasonable amount of time.

I'm not about to put my Optometry degree at risk to do med sci eg for a chance at medicine I may never receive. Medicine is my ultimate dream but I have to be realistic, I have parents that very soon will be relying on me. It's not always about pursuing your passions. I'm already 2 years in to a degree... what a waste of money if I don't complete it.

I understand the difficulty of GAMSAT, but at least if i put my 100% into it, I'll get results. With UMAT it's just not gunna work. As much as i'm an optimist, i'm moreover a realist. Thank you for the advice though...much appreciated

Schmeag

HSC
N/A
Practical and what I would have done, if just not to waste a degree (I might not even bother with GAMSAT depending on career opportunities for optom). Optometry seems like a decent are with good hours. Are you interested in ophthalmology?

Second round offers do happen (I got one), so best of luck.

yasminee96

HSC
Practical and what I would have done, if just not to waste a degree (I might not even bother with GAMSAT depending on career opportunities for optom). Optometry seems like a decent are with good hours. Are you interested in ophthalmology?

Second round offers do happen (I got one), so best of luck.
Thanks for the encouragement! :)

Optom does have good career opportunities, but I guess routine just isn't for me. But I'll be happy with it. Opthalmology is definitely interesting, and something I would consider, however not sure if the many years of training is worth it. Anyway, gotta get into med first hahaha.

RishBonjour99

HSC
N/A
Well I tried studying hard for UMAT and I tried not studying for UMAT at all and got the same mark both times. So I think I'll do umat once more this year but not hard out, do GAMSAT hard out this year and give it a go. And plus, I've been a great saver this year :) It really isn't a big deal in terms of money. Optom or med pretty sure it'll pay off within a reasonable amount of time.

I'm not about to put my Optometry degree at risk to do med sci eg for a chance at medicine I may never receive. Medicine is my ultimate dream but I have to be realistic, I have parents that very soon will be relying on me. It's not always about pursuing your passions. I'm already 2 years in to a degree... what a waste of money if I don't complete it.

I understand the difficulty of GAMSAT, but at least if i put my 100% into it, I'll get results. With UMAT it's just not gunna work. As much as i'm an optimist, i'm moreover a realist. Thank you for the advice though...much appreciated
You don't need med sci to do GAMSAT. Yes GAMSAT is difficult but you can study for it and get the correct strategy. My mate did commerce and had 1 month to study for it. Got 67 in his first shot as a 2nd year. Is doing it again in march.

Also you can pursue med later in your life e.g. late 20s If you are financially strained.

Kiraken

RISK EVERYTHING
HSC
N/A
The GAMSAT route is a lot more difficult than the UMAT route by all accounts

Although u can study for it without a science background, a science background defs would give u an edge

bangladesh

HSC
The GAMSAT route is a lot more difficult than the UMAT route by all accounts

Although u can study for it without a science background, a science background defs would give u an edge
I highly disagree with that. I would say post-grad med is much less competitive than undergrad.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)