3 hours a night is not enough! (1 Viewer)

Sarah182

Herpes Member
HSC
I am getting overwhelmed already!
3 hours a night isnt enongh to keep notes from the syllabus and for homework aswell. Im driving myself mad by doing up to 5 hours a night at the moment just to stay on top of everything.
What I've been doing is looking at the syllabus, making notes, doing some questions from textbooks and study guides then a few days later typing up the notes.... but its just taking so long!
Has anyone else found this?
The first week was fine but now I have assessments and homework to do.

Any tips for more effective study?

Cheers :)

Last edited:

adnan91

HSC
Sarah182 said:
3 hours a night isnt enongh to keep notes from the syllabus and for homework aswell. Im driving myself mad by doing up to 5 hours a night at the moment just to stay on top of everything.
What I've been doing is looking at the syllabus, making notes, doing some questions from textbooks and stugy guides then a few days later typing up the notes.... but its just taking so long!

Once your up to date. For each subject u do at skool on that day make notes on wat u learnt. English is fine cuz all u do is make notes so u can type them up if u want. Maths would be doing homework plus 10 extra questions. Sometimes it will take a long time but i doubt 5hours

ziggy.zoozah

HSC
Sarah182 said:
What I've been doing is looking at the syllabus, making notes, doing some questions from textbooks and stugy guides then a few days later typing up the notes.... but its just taking so long!

i suggest clearing your head instead of spending time in your room. take a break outside? revise your work in your head that way, im sure youll benefit more from it and get less stressed. plus the walk outside could also count as your "outside" activity for the day, even if it's a mere 5 minutes. like come on, 5 hours? nobody can do that. or better still, create yourself a social life where you discuss stuff with your friends - its much more effective.

Sarah182

Herpes Member
HSC
Thanks guys,
Yeah my sporting life has sorta disappeared and I know thats a bad thing.
Socially I have been ok since I dont like working on weekends.
Im thinking I should just take it easy for a while now... otherwise Im going to be a nervous wreck at the end of the HSC and thats not what I want to get out of the year.

youngminii

Banned
HSC
ziggy.zoozah said:
i suggest clearing your head instead of spending time in your room. take a break outside? revise your work in your head that way, im sure youll benefit more from it and get less stressed. plus the walk outside could also count as your "outside" activity for the day, even if it's a mere 5 minutes. like come on, 5 hours? nobody can do that. or better still, create yourself a social life where you discuss stuff with your friends - its much more effective.
Lies, do not listen to this person
I study 5 hours a day, and I'm doing fine
I would still like to do more, but I'm restricted due to time constraints

Anyways, yeah don't sweat it
Try to take it easy for now

ziggy.zoozah

HSC
youngminii said:
Lies, do not listen to this person
I study 5 hours a day, and I'm doing fine
I would still like to do more, but I'm restricted due to time constraints

Anyways, yeah don't sweat it
Try to take it easy for now
sorry last time i checked i was the one who is currently doing hsc exams whilst youre doing mere assessments. shut up. ive had far more experience. hsc is overrated and its far better to NOT to study than to do it because cramming and drilling stuff into u makes you lose knowledge - its scientifically proven if u dont believe me. so shut up and actually listen to someone who's in the middle of her hsc exams, mmkay?

lala2

Banned
HSC
If you need to spend 5 hours revising you're not using your time efficiently. Even 3 hours would be pushing it. I did about 2 hrs of study a night during my HSC. Make notes by all means, but pick the most important points--you can't possibly learn everything and this is even more so for uni study.

Where is your scientific evidence for losing knowledge if you cram and study, ziggah.zoozah? velocity, I guess if making notes isn't for you, then that's ok. But I know a large number of people including myself make notes, and that's useful in our learning. Each to their own I suppose, but again, don't waste too much time doing notes if you decide to.

lollipopxo

HSC
Sarah182 said:
What I've been doing is looking at the syllabus, making notes, doing some questions from textbooks and study guides then a few days later typing up the notes.... but its just taking so long!

best thing my legal teacher told me at the end of last year was you only need to be doing 1 hour of study ontop of homework per night to do well. and he was dead right. In term 4 last year i did exactly what he said and at a good school i was getting band 6's in all my assessments, then term 1 i regected his advice and did 5-6hours per night ontop of my after school job. All not one but ALL of my assessment marks dropped significantly. Dont do more then 3 hours per night now, you are only just starting. Be consistent, typing up all your notes from the day when you get home should only take an hour or so becuase you will not have accumulated that many new notes in one day, then go back and do work. It also really helps to make a study time table. It helps you factor in everything you want to do and it makes you realise just how much time you waste. This way you can also get all your work done during the week, and have friday and saturday free to go out. good luck and the best advice of all is get a good sleep everynight.

u-borat

Banned
HSC
In all seriousness, I have not done any work all year except for the 3 weeks preceding exam periods.

But if you want to keep on top of your work, writing notes, as velocity said, is pointless.
instead, just read over what you did that day/what you're going to be doing tomorrow.

Just.Snaz

HSC
Learn to prioritise. Now. Or you'll be forced to later on in the year. I did my hw during the week and notes on the weekends. My notes were extremely detailed and gathered from a range of sources.

If you're learning something that you can easily grasp, don't spend so much time on it. Keep your notes concise. Focus on what you have more difficulty with. And doing questions will really dig the info deep into your head. Also helps you practise the way you set out your answers for exam time.

youngminii

Banned
HSC
ziggy.zoozah said:
sorry last time i checked i was the one who is currently doing hsc exams whilst youre doing mere assessments. shut up. ive had far more experience. hsc is overrated and its far better to NOT to study than to do it because cramming and drilling stuff into u makes you lose knowledge - its scientifically proven if u dont believe me. so shut up and actually listen to someone who's in the middle of her hsc exams, mmkay?
Your humongous font makes me cower
Not.
How dare you tell someone NOT to study? We're not CRAMMING or DRILLING stuff into our heads, the assessments for us are far off from now
Cramming is last minute studying right before an exam
The HSC is a lifetime opportunity for some people, and we'd like to make the best of it no matter what you think about it
Also, lol @ your scientifically proven 'fact'

Anyways, how is making notes pointless? As long as they're relevant, they're like, goldmines during assessment times
But then, questions are better I suppose

Last edited:
HSC
youngminii said:
Anyways, how is making notes pointless? As long as they're relevant, they're like, goldmines during assessment times
But then, questions are better I suppose
You can read someone else's notes before exams, or just a study guide.

youngminii

Banned
HSC
veloc1ty said:
You can read someone else's notes before exams, or just a study guide.
Oh yeah, LOL
Still, if nobody wrote notes then nobody would have notes to give!
And I like writing notes, it ingrains the stuff into my head :)
Depends on the person I suppose

Just.Snaz

HSC
Making notes are however valuable in some cases.

When I'm making my notes, I'm revising but also looking into things and reading different sources, and then finally grasping the important concept. I can also simplify concepts I understand quite well and further elaborate onto things I don't understand as good.

Come exam time, I'll have diagrams, flow charts and points that I can understand, rather than see a layout or different method of explanation that I'm not comfortable with. For e.g. I learn better with diagrams, pictures and tables while I have friends who prefer chunks of text.

Everyone's different though. In year 11 you should have worked this out. If you haven't well you better start soon.

youngminii

Banned
HSC
Just.Snaz said:
Making notes are however valuable in some cases.

When I'm making my notes, I'm revising but also looking into things and reading different sources, and then finally grasping the important concept. I can also simplify concepts I understand quite well and further elaborate onto things I don't understand as good.

Come exam time, I'll have diagrams, flow charts and points that I can understand, rather than see a layout or different method of explanation that I'm not comfortable with. For e.g. I learn better with diagrams, pictures and tables while I have friends who prefer chunks of text.

Everyone's different though. In year 11 you should have worked this out. If you haven't well you better start soon.
I shall add this piece of writing to my bible
By the way, love your sig

PrettyVacant

HSC
God who cares, the HSC is so far off from now. Just focus on your assessment tasks and not making notes. It's not sustainable, sorry. I tried so hard this time last year, but I burnt out very quickly and dropped into apathy. It's best to do well in your assessment tasks, no matter how specific they are. Get your school ranks up. The externals you can just cram for, really. Don't worry about it now. You're early in the game and it's cool that you're thinking ahead but really don't stress yourself out. The only subject you really have to keep on top of is Maths and maths hw (I learnt this the hard way by flunking the externals for this, lol). Everything else (PARTICULARLY ENGLISH) can be crammed in a few nights.

Also RE: to the person who's all like "HSC IS A LIFETIME OPPORTUNITY". Chill out dude, it's not really the end of the world if you don't do as well as you expected. This is not a healthy attitude. The whole "all or nothing" thing does not apply to the HSC game and the UAI you end up with, there are many paths to what you want to do and at this stage.

youngminii

Banned
HSC
Well I'd like to get a nice job that can be obtained via a good UAI.
This is my definition of a lifetime opportunity

Obviously there are gonna be other paths and what-not
But the path(s) I would wanna take would definitely be going to Uni with a good course -> good job
And no, I do not know what I want to be yet

PrettyVacant

HSC
Yes that does seem to be most direct path for certain profession, and by all means if you have the ability and determination to ace the HSC, go for gold. Plus I realise the UAI is something you have to work for and it doesn't really reflect how smart someone is or how much they know about the syllabus, but rather, it judges your ability to conform to a course rubric. In this regard I find notes do not address this problem - past papers should do the trick.

minijumbuk

┗(^o^ )┓三
HSC
Depends what you want to achieve.

If you're aiming at 97+ UAI, it's certainly not enough.

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
I am seriously doing 2-3 hours a day right now and I am managing fine. I don't see how 3 hours isn't enough?

I think it really depends on how you study...

For example, I never do my homework, what a shame. But I really reckon homework is a piece of shit that is given by teachers...except maths homework. Instead, I study.

I don't make notes everyday. As someone already mentioned, it IS a waste of time to make notes everyday. I make notes on weekends where I can spare huge amount of time to do so and I use my weekdays reading over them and fixing some if I need to...

My timetable is like:

30 min bio
30 min business
30 min english reading
30 min english writing
1 hour maths.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)