3 Speeches Wtffffff (1 Viewer)

jennylim

HSC
i learned four, but practiced writing essays with two. (either socrates and lincoln, or goldman and keating). so i was pissed off at three speeches, not because i didn't know a third, but because i wasn't used to writing a 40 minute essay with three speeches. it was unsettling, my prior structure had to be thrown out (because my elaboration was too long for three speeches in the time limit)...so yeah.

achenar

Guys, seriously. You were supposed to learn all 12, at least in general, with a few in-depth so you were ready for anything. If you didn't know more than two speeches, it IS your own fault. The BoS is trying to challenge us so that the people who put the effort in get the marks.

I've got to admit, if they'd specificed McAleese or Kyi I would have been stuffed, and for a lot of the others I wouldn't have done terribly well.

And you're right about the time; because I was trying to cover Socrates and Keating properly I did Lincokln in five minutes. You just can't get the same depth if you've only got ten minutes per speech. Three speeches was a little unsettling for most people I know.

But not knowing the speeches is your own fault.
It feels like a lot, but it's 50 pages as opposed to the full novels that other units specified. If you really tried it wasn't that hard to at least have a general idea.

Sarah_Lou

hsc ova
HSC
achenar said:
Guys, seriously. You were supposed to learn all 12, at least in general, with a few in-depth so you were ready for anything. If you didn't know more than two speeches, it IS your own fault. The BoS is trying to challenge us so that the people who put the effort in get the marks.

I've got to admit, if they'd specificed McAleese or Kyi I would have been stuffed, and for a lot of the others I wouldn't have done terribly well.

And you're right about the time; because I was trying to cover Socrates and Keating properly I did Lincokln in five minutes. You just can't get the same depth if you've only got ten minutes per speech. Three speeches was a little unsettling for most people I know.

But not knowing the speeches is your own fault.
It feels like a lot, but it's 50 pages as opposed to the full novels that other units specified. If you really tried it wasn't that hard to at least have a general idea.
most people aren't aupset because they didnt know the speeches. they are upset because, for 5 years they ask for 2, and then our year they ask for 3 - most people didn't practise essays with 3 speeches - people are allowed to be shocked. i know i was, and i had studied all of the speeches.

btw i think learning one text/novel etc in detail is far easier that learning 12 completely different speeches...but that's just my opinion.

but yeh, just get over it, what's done is done.

Yaz88

CEO
HSC
no its not our own faults...
i asked my teacher who is a HSC MARKER and he said know 2 in depth, they may specify but its unlikely.... and yes i did trust his word.... for the past freaken 4 years theyve asked for 2.... why did this year they have 2 be heroic and ask for 3..
and also ur right bout the 'It feels like a lot, but it's 50 pages as opposed to the full novels that other units specified. ' but wot the hell is the point of having a general idea.. they question required u 2 go into depth about it and analyse...
dnt u think if we knew they were gona be bastards we wuld of prepared 3 but we used that time 2 study more on our other modules, and also for the person who said that the 2 u learnt might not fit the q dude anything can fit the q all u do is twist it 2 suit the q.. they asked the same q for the whole module.. ppl who did king lear.. poem etc WHY wuldnt it fit for ur chosen speeches..!

Yaz88

CEO
HSC
Sarah_Lou said:
most people aren't aupset because they didnt know the speeches. they are upset because, for 5 years they ask for 2, and then our year they ask for 3 - most people didn't practise essays with 3 speeches - people are allowed to be shocked. i know i was, and i had studied all of the speeches.

btw i think learning one text/novel etc in detail is far easier that learning 12 completely different speeches...but that's just my opinion.

yeh ur rite learning one text novel thats like the same context is easier than learning 12 speeches from different time periods and stuff... and knowing all the techniques..etc

HSC
Sarah_Lou said:

Spot on.....

al_x

short*
HSC
Well I was also pretty sure that they would only make us answer on two speeches. I only studied two in my trials, but then I studied a third so I'd have a variety in case they specified one... lucky i did too! Before the exam started I heard so many people saying "how many speeches did you study? I studied two!" and 10 mins later in reading time I could just see them all going "oh F*CK!". Also I found a past paper that forced us to answer on three speeches so it was sort of expected. Anyway I was just lucky I guess :)
(same with RMs! I studied two and i know a lot of people who only studied one)

angelar

wow, im really sorry u guys got screwed over, My year was lucky in that our teacher always told us to learn 3 minimum, because it usually asks for AT LEAST two, which is apparently the BOS implying we should discuss three...so yeah, always knew three luckily. im just pleased they didnt specify!

ElGronko

Not premium
HSC
Listen you bitches, you had to learn, what, 3 speeches.

What's that? Like 10 pages or something.

We had to read a whole fuck of a shit book.

Once one of you fucks tries reading "Skin of a Lion" come back to me.

And for the record, i nailed that exam. My essays were brilliant.

Looks like I'll be getting a better mark than you for English then.

Quit your bitching and suck it up.

Last edited:

borkis04

You have been blocked.
Arse of the World, Syd being the arsehole :D
HSC
Juju15 said:
no its not our own faults...
i asked my teacher who is a HSC MARKER and he said know 2 in depth, they may specify but its unlikely.... and yes i did trust his word.... for the past freaken 4 years theyve asked for 2.... why did this year they have 2 be heroic and ask for 3..
and also ur right bout the 'It feels like a lot, but it's 50 pages as opposed to the full novels that other units specified. ' but wot the hell is the point of having a general idea.. they question required u 2 go into depth about it and analyse...
dnt u think if we knew they were gona be bastards we wuld of prepared 3 but we used that time 2 study more on our other modules, and also for the person who said that the 2 u learnt might not fit the q dude anything can fit the q all u do is twist it 2 suit the q.. they asked the same q for the whole module.. ppl who did king lear.. poem etc WHY wuldnt it fit for ur chosen speeches..!
god damn..stop ur bickering..just beacuse your prepared essay didnt fit exactly into the question..for you to actually think during the exam instead..dont have a whinge to us..
its done now..its not like you can adjust or change your marks by scabbing..its over
whats done is done..whats won is won.

borkis04

You have been blocked.
HSC
oh and it is your fault..juju...
nothing more nothing less..you think u could hav bludged by only knowing two poems in depth instead of the prescribed six..only 1/3rd of the course for the module..
give us a break..get over it son.

HSC
Egronk said:

Good for you. You want a medal?

Mini Meiser

HSC
Stop eyrhining

Did anyone do Socrates or Cicero? The speeches where easy and relativly short. You would have to be pretty dense not to be at least be able to read all of them. There all using the same techniques anyway.

Quotes where the killer, anyone put anything funny?
I put the

"altar of the golden calf"
for Mary Macleese

"an island of poverty in a vast ocean of material wealth"
for King

"A govt of, for, by, the people"
Lincoln

to name a few

HSC
Hey just my thoughts on the matter, 3 speeches isnt to hard to cover i think, a whole novel is alot more. U should have just done what our teachers tell us. For frontline they say learn two episodes to use but also learn a 3rd just in case it relates to the question better or whatever. Although i do sympathise in the fact that the guy rang the actual HSC advice line and was told 2 was all that was needed. Thats pretty fucked, they should actually specify in the sylabus how many are required minimum (dunbno if it does or not but it should)

Yaz88

CEO
HSC
Egronk said:

i have a suggestion for u
SUCK A DICK!

PS
ID LAUGH SO HARD IF U GOT A BAND 3 OR 4 FOR ENGLISH after being so confident and arrogent and every1 who did only end up doing 2 speeches ends up getting a better mark then u becoz even though they covered the criteria better than ur UGLY ass!

Last edited by a moderator:

borkis04

You have been blocked.
HSC
Juju15 said:
SUCK A DICK!

PS
ID LAUGH SO HARD IF U GOT A BAND 3 OR 4 FOR ENGLISH after being so confident and arrogent and every1 who did only end up doing 2 speeches ends up getting a better mark then u becoz even though they covered the criteria better than ur UGLY ass!
id laugh if anything like that happened. Gosh we cant do anyhting about it now! itd all over..no point complaining..they wont change it for us..
what's done is done..what's won is won...

saaaaarah

HSC
i think the speeches module is a bit unfair when compared with a set of poems, a novel or a film by the one author. We have to learn about MANY different contextual situations and speakers. Some quite complicated such as the Ireland situation and Czechoslovakian situation.

On top of that, three speeches means you can't go into as much depth. It's hard to willingly risk the quality of your writing by completing three whole speeches, assessing two different contextual receptions for each. At my school people who finished their responses in 40 minutes either had to cut things out and many people just did two speeches. People who finished it to their full potential took time off other sections.

But after having said that, I think most people in the other sections of the critical study of texts section had trouble with the "3" thing. I guess the grass is always greener on the other side...

Sarah_Lou

hsc ova
HSC
saaaaarah said:
i think the speeches module is a bit unfair when compared with a set of poems, a novel or a film by the one author. We have to learn about MANY different contextual situations and speakers. Some quite complicated such as the Ireland situation and Czechoslovakian situation.

On top of that, three speeches means you can't go into as much depth. It's hard to willingly risk the quality of your writing by completing three whole speeches, assessing two different contextual receptions for each. At my school people who finished their responses in 40 minutes either had to cut things out and many people just did two speeches. People who finished it to their full potential took time off other sections.

But after having said that, I think most people in the other sections of the critical study of texts section had trouble with the "3" thing. I guess the grass is always greener on the other side...
exactly! i don't really want this argument to continue, but anyone who says that 12 speeches is easier than one novel they are kidding themselves! 12 speeches, some, like atwood's which are VERY long, with completely different values and attitudes, contexts, authors and devices and techniques...not very simple if you ask me!

over and out!

-DejaVu-

BAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAA
WHY ARGUE?
I FUCKED UP
BUT.
WHO GIVESD A FUCK
HAHAHAHA NO MORE ENGLISH
BAHAHAHAHAHA

ps . i gonna burn my notes too :D

chin music

HSC
N/A
Juju15 said:
SUCK A DICK!

PS
haha i was gonna say that

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)