4 unit mathematics brahs! Get in here! (1 Viewer)

obliviousninja

(╯°□°)╯━︵ ┻━┻ - - - -
HSC
Uni Grad
Inequalities combined with recursion b/c I predicted 2012 was probability

Or I wanna see a circle geometry problem. Don't think they will do probability again this year
Circle geom in Q16, thats unheard of.

Makematics

HSC
Any tips? How are you going about your study, you seem to be ahead.
Nah im not really ahead haha, i only finished harder 3u around a week ago. My tips is that you do cambridge and get the basics down, and then rush into past papers ASAP!

Makematics

HSC
Q16 predictions?

I'm hoping for inequalities and series for the whole 15 marks

(and Q1 MC probability/permutations and that topic being non-existent everywhere else)
Im predicting something geometry based, possibly complex numbers or conics

HSC
Fingers crossed that there won't be too many marks on circular motion and conics urgh.
Also, I swear I used to be 10x better with complex numbers and polynomials, I'm so slow now :(

Makematics

HSC
Past papers, look at the questions regarding 3U and mechanics.

But the annoying thing is that all the mechanics questions in HSC seem way to easy. ie. the Banked track ones, ie resolve, then find angle which it stays on track. In books, I've seen ones where it also includes a railing at the end of the curve and they ask about height, etc, etc.
This is so true, i dont understand why they never put in challenging mechanics questions, there are so many good ones that can be made (look at carrots trial). And the hsc doesnt usually put in many generic questions, but for some reason all the mechanics is generic as anything.

fahed_1001

HSC
They haven't put proving e and pi irrational for a long time. So I'm guessing that might show up this year. (btw what part of the syllabus asks 4u students to prove pi and e irrational)

For mechanics, i think SHM is probably going to be in this year (something like a pendulum question).

anomalousdecay

Premium Member
HSC
Anyone marking their own papers? Did 2007 HSC and got 90/120. Did 2009 HSC got 79/120. Rest are somewhere in the 80s/120 range.
Probably still not b6 though.

anomalousdecay

Premium Member
HSC
They haven't put proving e and pi irrational for a long time. So I'm guessing that might show up this year. (btw what part of the syllabus asks 4u students to prove pi and e irrational)

For mechanics, i think SHM is probably going to be in this year (something like a pendulum question).

Proving pi and e are irrational is harder 3-unit inequalities. But the solutions may vary.

Sy123

This too shall pass
HSC

Well if the proofs for the irrationality was in the syllabus there's no point asking it because everyone would already know it.
You aren't supposed to know the proofs

hayabusaboston

HSC
Anyone marking their own papers? Did 2007 HSC and got 90/120. Did 2009 HSC got 79/120. Rest are somewhere in the 80s/120 range.
B6 is 79/120 or 67/100 roughly.

I am personally doing papers, marking some, not marking others, my highest result was in the mid 80's for 2012 paper, lowest result idk, quite shit/120 lol

Makematics

HSC
Yep ive been marking mine, just to see how many sillies ive made. And nah man, thats defs E4 range!

anomalousdecay

Premium Member
HSC
Well if the proofs for the irrationality was in the syllabus there's no point asking it because everyone would already know it.
You aren't supposed to know the proofs
But we could get a question asking hence prove that pi cubed is irrational, as that could be dependent on the part before it and if it doesn't say otherwise, then you can't just rote it.

IMO, they won't put this in. Anyway, its just an application pure maths.
I'm pretty much stuffed for probability and banked track questions though.

anomalousdecay

Premium Member
HSC
Yep ive been marking mine, just to see how many sillies ive made. And nah man, thats defs E4 range!
I still have hope lol. I don't think anyone at my school has ever gotten over 80 in my school's history though.

hayabusaboston

HSC
This is so true, i dont understand why they never put in challenging mechanics questions, there are so many good ones that can be made (look at carrots trial). And the hsc doesnt usually put in many generic questions, but for some reason all the mechanics is generic as anything.

Until everyone starts getting 80%+ raw in 4u, board of studies has no reason to make it any harder haha. It may seem easy, but B6 cutoff is ~67/100 so that indicates ppl are still finding questions in 4u difficult. But if its easy then why complain! lol all the more chance of getting high 90's overall in MX2 :p Though on an ATAR calculator I checked the effect on ATAR of going from 92 to 99 in 4u, the ATAR difference is 0.10 or 0.15 or something. While 85-90 in english advanced is 0.85 atar change. -_-

Makematics

HSC

Lol i had shm tides question in my trial, my teacher even said he got it straight from cambridge and changed the numbers :p but i highly doubt shm will come up. My prediction is 10 marks of mechanics, including a reisted motion and a conical pendulum. Dont think there will be much harder 3u considering that they went into overdrive with it last year (like 30 or so marks out of 100 were harder 3u)

hamstar

HSC
Lol i had shm tides question in my trial, my teacher even said he got it straight from cambridge and changed the numbers :p but i highly doubt shm will come up. My prediction is 10 marks of mechanics, including a reisted motion and a conical pendulum. Dont think there will be much harder 3u considering that they went into overdrive with it last year (like 30 or so marks out of 100 were harder 3u)
My 4u teacher said that 4u students should technically be spending 20-30% of their time on harder 3U. According to my teacher 30% of the test being harder 3U is technically what it is supposed to be.

but i agree 30% of the test being harder 3U is overkill

anomalousdecay

Premium Member
HSC
What did you get when you marked your 2007 paper. 30% of that test was either 3-unit or non-existent HSC maths
That's why that was my highest mark lol.
And the questions were not even harder 3-unit cause they weren't even application of series or induction questions or else I would've done bad.
I haven't even touched harder 3-unit series in a textbook but they are still alright in difficulty.

hayabusaboston

HSC
What did you get when you marked your 2007 paper. 30% of that test was either 3-unit or non-existent HSC maths
That's why that was my highest mark lol.
And the questions were not even harder 3-unit cause they weren't even application of series or induction questions or else I would've done bad.
I haven't even touched harder 3-unit series in a textbook but they are still alright in difficulty.

2007 was very interesting, one of the easier papers in 2001-2012.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)