• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

4 yr old dies in disney world (1 Viewer)

gordo

Resident Jew
HSC
sounds like a law suit on the way

http://www.smh.com.au/news/World/Boy-4-dies-after-Disney-fun-ride/2005/06/15/1118645868682.html

Boy, 4, dies after Disney fun ride
June 16, 2005

Page Tools
Email to a friend Printer format
Miami: A four-year-old boy has died after passing out on a ride at Walt Disney World that is so intense it carries sick bags and has resulted in several passengers being treated for chest pain.

Staff at the Florida theme park tried to revive Daudi Bamuwamye after his mother carried him off the Mission: Space attraction unconscious on Tuesday. He was taken to a nearby hospital but died.

An autopsy is to be carried out to determine the cause of death.

Police said Daudi met the minimum 112-centimetre height requirement for the ride, which simulates a rocket launch and trip to Mars using centrifugal force.

Officials said the boy, from Pennsylvania, was on the ride with his mother and a sister.

During the ride, the mother noticed Daudi's body was rigid and his legs were stretched straight out. She told detectives she thought he was frightened so she took his hand.

"When the ride ended, the victim was limp and unresponsive in his seat," a sheriff's report said.

Advertisement
AdvertisementThe ride, one of Walt Disney World's most popular, was closed after the death but it was reopened after company engineers concluded that it was operating normally.

Disney began placing motion sickness bags in the ride in 2003. During an eight-month period in 2003-2004, six people over 55 years of age were taken to hospital for treatment of chest pain and nausea after riding Mission: Space. At the time the ride was responsible for more hospital visits than any other Florida attraction.

A 77-year-old woman who was in poor health from diabetes and several mini-strokes died in February after going on the Pirates of the Caribbean ride at the Magic Kingdom. A medical examiner's report said her death was "not unexpected".

Signs warn visitors about the intensity of the Mission: Space ride and warn people with blood pressure, heart, back or neck problems or susceptibility to motion sickness not to go on it.

Signs also warn pregnant women not to go on the ride.

It recreates a rocket launch and a trip to Mars. A clock counts down before a simulated blast-off that includes smoke and flame and the sound of roaring rocket engines. The G-forces twist and distort riders' faces.

Disney officials said in a statement after the boy's death that they were "providing support to the family and are doing everything we can to help them during this difficult time".

gordo

Resident Jew
HSC
the ride sounds stupidly crazy

g-froces that contort your face

wen did the good old days of the merry go round stop keeping kids happy?

tempco

HSC
what was a 4 year old kid doing on a ride like that...

gordo

Resident Jew
HSC
well he passed the 'u have to be this high' test

sounds like pretty negligent parents if u ask me though

u are still so protective wen they are that age (or should be)

although of course the parents deserve no blame at all

tempco

HSC
can't really say much... we don't even know the cause of death. imo, 4 is way to young. he's still an infant for crying out loud!

ism

HSC
N/A
Hahahaha. The ads at the top couldn't be more appropriate.

the ads at the top of the page said:
Disney Hotel Discounts
Low rates at 22 hotels onsite at Disney World. Reserve online & save

iamsickofyear12

HSC
I'm sure there is some sort of sign so that people fully aware of what the ride is before they go on it. It's not disney worlds fault, the parents shouldn't have let the kid on it.

Riewe

HSC
iamsickofyear12 said:
I'm sure there is some sort of sign so that people fully aware of what the ride is before they go on it. It's not disney worlds fault, the parents shouldn't have let the kid on it.
Even though that is pretty much true, there will be others with a different opinion

McLake

The Perfect Nerd
HSC
iamsickofyear12 said:
Yes, all Disney rides that have height restrictions have a sign that describes what to expect from the ride. I wonder if the cast member on the gate said anything to the kid before he tried to get on (or maybe he didn't really look 4 years old)?

A 77-year-old woman who was in poor health from diabetes and several mini-strokes died in February after going on the Pirates of the Caribbean ride at the Magic Kingdom. A medical examiner's report said her death was "not unexpected".
There is no way POTC was the cause of that death, it has to be one of the tamest rides in the park. That being said, the article doesn't mention the deaths/injuries on "Big Thunder Railroad" in Disneyland a few years back ...

For all those interested in theme park related accidents: http://www.themeparkinsider.com/

iamsickofyear12

HSC
McLake said:
Yes, all Disney rides that have height restrictions have a sign that describes what to expect from the ride. I wonder if the cast member on the gate said anything to the kid before he tried to get on (or maybe he didn't really look 4 years old)?
I'm thinking that a 112cm or taller kid doesn't look 4.

gordo

Resident Jew
HSC
i am pretty sure disney world would offer compensation even if somehow they arn't liable.
it would just destroy their goodwill otherwise

ppl dying on their rides...

LadyBec

KISSmeCHASY
HSC
nekkid said:
what was a 4 year old kid doing on a ride like that...
that's what I was thinking... even the kid was tall enough there is no way i'd be letting a child that young on a ride like that...

iamsickofyear12

HSC
LadyBec said:
that's what I was thinking... even the kid was tall enough there is no way i'd be letting a child that young on a ride like that...
There needs to be some sort of regulations for having children because there are just too many stupid parents around. You can't adopt a child if you are an idiot but you can still have them.

spell check

HSC
what does it matter what age the kid is if he's tall enough

the restrictions are about physical height and size, not how many calendar years have passed since the person was born

a 40 y.o. midget wouldn't be allowed on for example

7th Sign

HSC
i was a wonderland on that space probe shit and it went down and get stuffed up like half way down like stopped...me and my mate were on the ride with all the other people i got like bad as neck pain from that shit.....and so did my mate ...i had to go to the doctor and get like a week off school....i didnt sue but i probly should have for pain and suffering.....they gave me and my mate 6 free passes but....he got them all :(

+Po1ntDeXt3r+

HSC
mabbe the kid had some underlying problem.. i can think of about 3 that even in a medium speed accident would kill the kid..

tats the thing.. height is for the chair.... if the kid had congential problem.. its not feasible to have a full examination beforehand

minalata

HSC
can someone explain the ride abit more...is it just like the space probe...and wats this with the g force

i feel sorry for the fam

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)