4U maths destroys confidence (1 Viewer)

ZJ NingNing

HSC
well, half of my 4U class was discussing about that this morning.

I quite agree. hate the Terry Lee text book, cos for every 2nd or 3rd question I have to check at the back of the book either because I couldnt do it or my method is too messy. It gets way too much until the point where I just shut the book and want to dismiss it from my mind for a couple of days.

and I spend WAY too much time on this one subject.

simonloo

may our bodies remain
HSC
N/A
Still the beginning of Yr 12, if it happens to everyone in your class- then you needn't worry I suppose. 4 Unit maths isn't meant for the ordinary HSC student anyway.

ZJ NingNing

HSC
simonloo said:
Still the beginning of Yr 12, if it happens to everyone in your class- then you needn't worry I suppose. 4 Unit maths isn't meant for the ordinary HSC student anyway.
thanks :) I am fine with not being able to do exceptionally well but my family wont be. so much pressure. and one of my maths teachers kept saying how I will do really well cos I accelerated 3U. but the truth is, I am just me, I am not a genius.

really dont like it when people tell you that you are gonna get 99.99 in your UAI cos you are supposed to be smart. but I suppose they mean well.

*sigh* I guess I will just have to practice more until I get 4U.

Slidey

But pieces of what?
HSC
Yeah I guess 4U maths definitely shows you all those parts of maths you AREN'T good at. Stupid circle geometry, conics, physics, etc. But hey that was 2 years ago and I got 92 in 4u and I skipped 40% of the questions entirely.

ZJ NingNing

HSC
Slidey said:
Yeah I guess 4U maths definitely shows you all those parts of maths you AREN'T good at. Stupid circle geometry, conics, physics, etc. But hey that was 2 years ago and I got 92 in 4u and I skipped 40% of the questions entirely.
wow, thanks! that is really making me feel alot better :) or my friend's email did. I dont know which one but I feel more confident now.

I am not the stressing kind and I forget pressure easily. its just that I want my parents to feel proud of my for once and 4U maths wasnt helping it.

gm.haider3000

HSC
Hey look zj ning 4unit is more complicated thing.. things you would need after hsc thats the only reason im doing ... This is how its with me when it comes to general maths I get really messed up but with 3unit and 4units like the use of letters and proofs im really good soo 4unit could be how you operate.. i struggle in my 2unit exams but 3unit i had too much confident in it :)

Shadose

Enjoy Life
HSC
I heard that:
Just passing 4U could scale you real really high up. But it really destroys your social life.

z600

Sigh.....
HSC
i remember for my year 11 ext 2 exams, the highest mark was 50%, and the whole class was like "shit". It was literally "how the hell do you do the first question". But then, when u realise that its just as hard for everyone else around you. Make sure you understand all the contents in class and in your howework. If all fails, drop the subject:)

undalay

HSC
I was talking to the math teacher writing the first math 4u test, at he said to me, the test difficulty will definitely not be as hard as terry lee, instead more like the average difficulty of the cambridge 4u, which are as a whole, incredibly easy relative to terry lee.

edit: i've got both books, so yeah.

Last edited:

Kujah

HSC
N/A
Yeah, some of Terry Lee's B and C exercises are just ridiculous. Same goes for some questions of Cambridge :)

AkaiHanabi

Thread killer
HSC
You know what? Terry Lee's son goes to my school =D he's very good at maths, no surprise there. sorry, but at the moment, the 4u stuff doesn't seem so bad. i guess they start off a lttle easier to suck people in don't they? but as with the harder examples, i often kick myself when my teacher explains the easier way to do a question ><

tommykins

i am number -e^i*pi
HSC
Apparently, Terry Lee can do 4unit integration in his head.

apart from that, I don't agree, i had 4u last friday and was more confident with that than 2u (which is tomorrow).

Evercursed

Troubled Thinker
HSC
Yes, 4U maths are possibly the two worst units that you'll ever face in y12. It'll make you cry in frustration as you struggle with the mechanics and conics questions. That is why so many people hate y12.

And your test next year is probably going to be hard because this year's was so easy.

ZJ NingNing

HSC
oh, I am not really stressed. true, 4U maths isnt making me happy and confident but it is not making me feeling too depressed either. it would take alot for me to feel depressed.

the reason why I started this thread was just because most of the students doing 4U maths in my school think it is hard and I was wondering if anyone else feels like that too.

beentherdunthat

HSC
Shadose said:
I heard that:
Just passing 4U could scale you real really high up. But it really destroys your social life.
lol.

Not really dude.

4unit maths IS hard. But thats why everything gets scaled according to rank ;). Don't worry, it'll all pay off in the end.

ZJ NingNing

HSC
beentherdunthat said:
lol.

Not really dude.

4unit maths IS hard. But thats why everything gets scaled according to rank ;). Don't worry, it'll all pay off in the end.
yeah, I will take your words for it. I agree, it IS hard.

ronash

HSC
beentherdunthat said:
lol.

Not really dude.

wat if your rank is pretty bad then...are u screwed??

ZJ NingNing

HSC
ronash said:
wat if your rank is pretty bad then...are u screwed??
depends on how well your school goes in 4U maths as a whole. if the range is low in the whole state level then yeah, you would pretty much be screwed. but say if you are in James Ruse and you get something like second last, mate, you might be looking at a UAI of 95+

tommykins

i am number -e^i*pi
HSC
Don't even need to be smart for 4U. Determination and dedication can get you there.

P

pLuvia

tommykins said:
Don't even need to be smart for 4U. Determination and dedication can get you there.
Determination and dedication can only get you so far :p

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)