90+ ATAR with these subjects and school? (1 Viewer)

Sammy2011

HSC
Hey, I know there have been many a question on expectant ATAR's around here, but I'm just looking for a realistic opinion. This year I'm doing:
Advanced English
Math
Physics
Chemistry
Ancient History
PD/H/PE
Extension English

Now I'm not sure if I should drop PE or History and pick up English extension 2 (to make 12 units), or drop English extension 1 (to make 12). Obviously I have very little marks to go on yet, so I'm not asking for an estimate or anything, just mentioning it if it is something to be considered.

So not only these subjects, but my school ranking is....well, its horrible. But inside the 250+ students that make up my year, around 50 are really driven and motivated. Inside Physics and Chemistry, both classes are comprised of the best students in my year

Now I'm not asking for an ATAR estimate, but I would like to know if it is even possible to get an ATAR over 90, when I'm stuck with the idiots that make up my school.

Thanks for any help :)

Sammy2011

HSC
Well Extension 2 can only be picked up in yr 12, and you need minimum 10 units for yr 12 anyway.
I know, I was just listing the possible subjects I would be taking for year 12. I'm top of my school in PE, History and English (Past years and currently)

FCB

Emma Watson <3
HSC
Very good subject choices. Certainly 90+ imo

You reap what you sow.

ajdlinux

Mod: ANU, ATAR/HSC Marks
HSC
Now I'm not asking for an ATAR estimate, but I would like to know if it is even possible to get an ATAR over 90, when I'm stuck with the idiots that make up my school.
Of course. If you're as motivated as you seem to be, you should get a high enough assessment ranking that the moderation process won't affect you badly. Other than that you just have to work hard, and with those subjects it's not too hard to get 90+.

123 B A N G

HSC
You can get an 90+ ATAR with any subjects as long as you do well in them. If your worried about that then pick the ones you are best at.

Sammy2011

HSC
Thanks for all the replies :)

I am not worried about my subjects, I enjoy all of them and feel that I can score well in all of them (Except math, thats what 12 units is for :) )

I just wanted to know how much scaling would effect me, even if I achieved good scores in each of those subjects. I know I have to come 1st for the scaling to have the least effect on me...

jana--x

HSC
Those are really good scaling subjects except the downfall is that it's best if you go to a school with a good cohort.
I remember someone from my school told my english class that a girl from a school got band 6's in everything, except she achieved an ATAR of 85+ which she in fact was DUX of the school, her cohort brought her down.

But in all honesty, i think you can achieve great results if you just study and focussed next year! :)
Just make sure you maintain a good rank also :p

MCK

HSC
Yes im sure you can. Youre doing subjects that well scaling so as long as you go good and work hard you could easily achieve your goal.

mirakon

nigga
HSC
It doesn't matter how it scales if you do really well. Scaling only has a really large effect if you get about average marks. If you do really, really well in your subjects even 99+ ATAR is possible

Eddykungfu

HSC
Just wondering, on average, how many students achieve 90+ ATAR/UAI at your school?'

harrisony

goodbye cruel world
HSC
N/A
Hey, I know there have been many a question on expectant ATAR's around here, but I'm just looking for a realistic opinion. This year I'm doing:
Advanced English
Math
Physics
Chemistry
Ancient History
PD/H/PE
Extension English

Now I'm not sure if I should drop PE or History and pick up English extension 2 (to make 12 units), or drop English extension 1 (to make 12). Obviously I have very little marks to go on yet, so I'm not asking for an estimate or anything, just mentioning it if it is something to be considered.

So not only these subjects, but my school ranking is....well, its horrible. But inside the 250+ students that make up my year, around 50 are really driven and motivated. Inside Physics and Chemistry, both classes are comprised of the best students in my year

Thanks for any help :)
So you say your cohort is not that great, all the more chance for you to be dux :) , go for it!

ar7

HSC
ofcourse u can get 90+. i dont think the idiots in ur grade r doing ext english...

Sammy2011

HSC
So here's the problem.

The highest ATAR/UAI anyone has ever gotten was 98.8, I need 94.8-98.4 to get into the cource I want (Veterinary Science).

Last year around 4 people got in the 90+ area.

iRuler

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
Why is that a problem?

If those 4 can do it, why cant u?

Explain. (7 Marks)

Sammy2011

HSC
Why is that a problem?

If those 4 can do it, why cant u?
Its kind of hard to grasp, I mean, the highest ever was around 98.9, and I need 98.4 for Sydney Uni...

I know I'm determined and I'll put is as much effort as I possibly can...I just can't shake the feeling of my school dragging me down despite my efforts

kcqn93

HSC
just for the sake of it, you should aim to beat the 98.9! lol

Sammy2011

HSC
If only it where that simple....*sigh*

Though I'll gladly take a 98.9 :D

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)