99.95 ATAR - STATE RANK 5th Phys, 12th Chem Dedicated Tutor (1 Viewer)

beryl_smiles

HSC
N/A
Hi everyone! :)

I'm Beryl and I graduated from Ruse this year (2012) with

• 99.95 ATAR
  • 5th in NSW Physics (97)
  • 12th in NSW Chemistry (97)
  • 1st at Ruse English (Adv 97 Ext 48)
  • 3U Math (98)
  • 4U Math (96)
( only tutoring chem, phys, english )

CHEM/PHYS TUTORING
My study approach was focused on conceptual understanding & meticulous details / exam technique
1) Teaching all dot points - strong conceptual understanding, essential to tackle any B6 question / difficult problems you've never seen before (especially for physics!) + means less memorising
2) Comprehensive notes with pracs (they always ask a prac) with DETAILS text books dont have! In the HSC, marking is extremely harsh (threshold state rank marks are only 92/100) I have collated all the necessary details you need to memorise from textbooks, teachers/HSC markers, past ex-state ranking students, many many marking guidelines.
3) Exam technique -- > knowing what all the verbs mean, looking out for plurals, drawing tables, when the verb is evaluate you should end with "Evaluation : bla bla " etc...
4) HW/Extension Qs if wanted - mainly trial qs/conceptual qs/big 5/6/7 markers

To make a concrete example of what is unique about my teaching, consider the topics you have already done ...
Phys Space
- If speed of light is CONSTANT, why does length contract and time dilate because if C=L/T, if length contracts, shouldn't time also contract? (answer is no, key conceptual misunderstanding if you think this)
- Draw a michelson morley apparatus diagram (did you remember to label the proposed direction of earth's motion? the base as "rotating"? and the bed on mercury?)

Chem POM
- What does the term biodegradeable mean chemically, and why is PHB biodegradeable? (this was asked in our trials)
- Always writing "yeast zymase enzyme" in fermentation eqn above the arrow
- Always drawing the electronic balance for fermentation experiment (because dt pt is about measuring mass changes)

There are many more little details like these in the next few modules, and I really believe many of my peers / most students enter exams knowing the material, but what differentiates them? It's these details / depth of conceptual understanding / exam technique (eg chem eqns everywhere, quoting key phrases/names of principles or theories, writing the reaction conditions catalyst, knowing the difference and not confusing key words like "ionise" and "dissociate", drawing diagrams with enough detail etc.....) these cause a range of marks to be produced - and I hope to help you all reach the top!

English http://community.boredofstudies.org/showthread.php?t=297284

CONTACT beryl.smiles@gmail.com (If you can, please email because I'm not very good with this pm-ing system thank you :)
- Private + Group
- Epping / Parramatta library

Last edited:

khfreakau

HSC
I've heard a great many things about Beryl ever since I was in Year 11.... all of them were about how amazing she is. Definitely give her a go, I have no doubts she would make an amazing mentor.

sparedes1995

HSC
Hey Beryl ;D
Have a BUMP!
I've known Beryl for 2 years and I can honestly say, that she will provide amazing quality tutoring. She's VERY dedicated, caring and will definitely help you succeed in your HSC - I've experienced this first hand.
(=

kazemagic

HSC
Just received some awesome tips from her :D she sounded very dedicated and knowledgeable. I think she would make a great tutor! Mind you, I didn't even know her, yet she provided quite detailed tips and guidance which shows how dedicated she is :) Also, her words pack a persuasive punch, definitely a great asset to your essays!

beryl_smiles

HSC
N/A
Wow! thank you so much sparedes, kazemagic and khfreakau (even though I don't actually know you! haha) I've had a lot of messages for advice and random other questions - I'm happy to help but please email because the pm system confuses me.

ishanik

HSC
do you tutor for maths 3u? if you do , could you please provide your email address please

ParraEelz

HSC
Beryl buys at 7 eleven, slurpin slurpies day and night, non-stop with Yadhavan...sooo not true hahaha, well done!! :)

deswa1

HSC
Bump for Beryl :) I've known her for a while now and she is an incredibly friendly and helpful person. I'd really recommend her to anyone who is aiming for a very high B6/state rank because her knowledge of the intricacies of the HSC and understanding is second to none from everyone I've met.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)