99.95 atar (1 Viewer)

quickoats

HSC
Of course you can. You just need to focus more on standard, because at the end of the day, 2 units of English are mandatory, so even if you state rank 4u, a b4/5 in standard will weigh you down.

Good luck next year.
đź‘€ me :/

quickoats

HSC
I don't think there ever was a time where someone who did standard ever got 99.95, meaning that you must do at least English Advanced for a 99.95
This isn’t true - the pattern observed with standard English is not a function of “scaling the subject down” or “capping the atar” but rather because of the candidature of standard English. Typically they won’t be 99.95 students anyway.

jklol

HSC
sorry to break it to you, but in reality, you're not going to get 99.95 with English Standard.
The highest ATAR achieved with English Standard in 2020 was 99.35 View attachment 31397
It was 99.55 in 2019.
View attachment 31398
99.40 in 2018.
View attachment 31399

I don't think there ever was a time where someone who did standard ever got 99.95, meaning that you must do at least English Advanced for a 99.95.

However, it's possible to still get a high ATAR.
does that neccesairly mean I cant get a 99.95 atar or will it be very difficult?

quickoats

HSC
does that neccesairly mean I cant get a 99.95 atar or will it be very difficult?
It doesn’t mean impossible, just very difficult and has not been achieved before. To get 99.95 you’d need at least 95-96 in either english course (they scale the same). This is much much harder to come by in standard.

Trebla

Administrator
Administrator
HSC
sorry to break it to you, but in reality, you're not going to get 99.95 with English Standard.
The highest ATAR achieved with English Standard in 2020 was 99.35 View attachment 31397
It was 99.55 in 2019.
View attachment 31398
99.40 in 2018.
View attachment 31399

I don't think there ever was a time where someone who did standard ever got 99.95, meaning that you must do at least English Advanced for a 99.95.

However, it's possible to still get a high ATAR.
Correlation does not mean causation. It is possible to achieve 99.95 with any combination of subjects. However, there are only 20 or so that are given every year in the state. Therefore, the range of subjects that these 20 or so students did will naturally be quite limited in the data collected.

Fun fact, if you got just 88 in English Standard (99th percentile) and topped the state in all your other subjects, your aggregated scaled mark would actually borderline get you 99.95 in 2020.

rajeshtheting

HSC
This isn’t true - the pattern observed with standard English is not a function of “scaling the subject down” or “capping the atar” but rather because of the candidature of standard English. Typically they won’t be 99.95 students anyway.
tru normally the guys who get .95 will do advanced or even ex1 (quite unlikely they will do ex2 cause they will most likely have 4u maths

IAmWinston

HSC
It's not impossible, but realistically, if you're doing standard it's practically impossible as most people who are going for the 99.95 have picked English Advanced. Also considering topping the state in every other subject is ridiculously hard.

pikachu975

Premium Member
HSC
Yeah it's kinda dumb that english is compulsory because I still don't see where you'll ever have to analyse a text, find themes of a book, or analyse quotes ever in your life unless you study an english degree. Not only that, english is compulsory yet there's millions of people that can't tell the difference between to and too or they're/their/there, so it's a joke tbh

dasfas

HSC
Yeah it's kinda dumb that english is compulsory because I still don't see where you'll ever have to analyse a text, find themes of a book, or analyse quotes ever in your life unless you study an english degree. Not only that, english is compulsory yet there's millions of people that can't tell the difference between to and too or they're/their/there, so it's a joke tbh
I was pissed about english back then, but looking back, I think it was incredibly valuable. Essay writing ie. stringing together a cohesive argument for at least 1000 words is no easy feat, and being able to do so pays dividends when you're trying to argue a point ie. convince a manager of something.

pikachu975

Premium Member
HSC
I was pissed about english back then, but looking back, I think it was incredibly valuable. Essay writing ie. stringing together a cohesive argument for at least 1000 words is no easy feat, and being able to do so pays dividends when you're trying to argue a point ie. convince a manager of something.
I feel like I learnt more from primary school english and early high school than year 11-12 english. I still don't think it should be compulsory in the HSC because year 12 english felt pretty useless. All it felt like to me was how good I could spew out bs about how the colour blue represents sadness or something. I would've rather done economics and actually learnt something relevant to real life rather than how to analyse a Shakespeare play.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)