A Board of Studies rule? (1 Viewer)

bio_nut

HSC
ok, I didn't bother reading it cos the grammar appeared so poor, my bad!
Dude, you just said "cos". Lol.

I agree with her, too many sad bos virgins pretending it's their choice. Nuh uh.

itszen

HSC
Could be a school:students:facility ratio.
Mayb give 'favours'. I'm sure he'll fit himself in.

*ahem, I mean fit you in.
No need for the aggressiveness here. As well as bio_nut. I dont find your judgmental comment funny at all.

Last edited:

Aerath

Retired
HSC
N/A
Government schools have a maximum senior class size of 24 I think.
I had 30 people in my 4U and 3U Maths classes. So did the other top 4 4U/3U Maths classes. :confused:

cem

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
I had 30 people in my 4U and 3U Maths classes. So did the other top 4 4U/3U Maths classes. :confused:
I teach in a private school with no upper limit at all but from my government school colleagues I have been told that 24 is the maximum which means that your school was asking the teachers to go over the limit and would have to have allowed a trade off for them elsewhere in the timetable e.g. one less period a week, no playground duty, no extras covering for teachers who are away or something like that - and each situation would be different depending on the needs of the school at the time.

Aerath

Retired
HSC
N/A
I teach in a private school with no upper limit at all but from my government school colleagues I have been told that 24 is the maximum which means that your school was asking the teachers to go over the limit and would have to have allowed a trade off for them elsewhere in the timetable e.g. one less period a week, no playground duty, no extras covering for teachers who are away or something like that - and each situation would be different depending on the needs of the school at the time.
Yeah, that's true. All these Maths teachers only had like..... 4 different classes the entire year. My teacher for instance had a Year 12, a Year 11 and two Year 7 classes, whereas other Maths colleagues had up to 6 classes a year.

cutemouse

Account Closed
HSC
N/A
I had 4 people in our 3U maths class including myself. lol.

Other classes had around 10-14.

HSC
Uni Grad
Friends 2u maths class had 4 or 5 in year 12 cos most dropped, we were on the other line and had like 10 or 11.

cem

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
If there is a maximum, is there an absolute minimum?

I'm the only person in Chemistry. Not done by distance ed.
Very much a school by school thing - if they can accommodate a really small class they will.

I have taught classes of one some years and others we can't accommodate that class as I am needed elsewhere.

carmot

HSC
I'm pretty sure the Geography class for my year was about 2 people or so, just under the minimum for a class...so instead they have a composite class with year 12 Geography. Except drama had more than enough for a class, yet they still didn't get a class this year.

cem

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
I'm pretty sure the Geography class for my year was about 2 people or so, just under the minimum for a class...so instead they have a composite class with year 12 Geography. Except drama had more than enough for a class, yet they still didn't get a class this year.
Having enough students for classes doesn't always mean it can run as the school simply mightn't have enough teachers qualified or interested after the mandatory classes have been covered.

I have had years where Elective History runs in Year 9 with 6 kids but the following year it won't run with 12 - due to lack of available history teachers after the allocation of the Seniors and the mandatory classes are covered. Luck of the draw sometimes I'm afraid.

FTW

HSC
I have known at my school of classes that have run with 1 person (4 Unit and Music 2) also 2 people is quite common (for french and other languages)
However we also have classes that have 27 people (advanced english) but other than that, all classes are < 20 people

Sammy2011

HSC
24 people per class as a maximum? In my Advanced English class, I have 34. Advanced Math is around 28.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)