A Comparison of Textbooks (1 Viewer)

Grey Council

Legend
HSC
most of the complaints against coroneos are fairly irrelevant, and not even true.

keeping the book open? ugly text? bad layout?

first of all, its maths, its not painting or something. secondly, its not that bad at all, dunno which version of the book you have, but my one the layout is extremely logical, the examples are good and explanation is superb. very easy to follow, in fact, its DESIGNED FOR THE STUDENT WHO WANTS TO TEACH HIM/HER SELF.
no other book is like that.

and having to keep book open??? wtf? haha, never happened to me :eek:
and that person who said coroneos doesn't have conics and w/e, you need to buy the coroneos supplement, i think. its a thin, blue a4 sized textbook, pretty sure it covers everything. well, tbh, i dont really remember what book has what, but i certainly don't remember ever thinking that coroneos was missing something :eek:

and a book isn't good just because it has hard questions, thats just stupid. lots of people say cambridge is good because of that, who cares :/ you want to learn the basics properly, do the questions so the basics set in, then do past papers. whats the point of doing crazy hard questions that won't be asked in an exam? oh and btw, most people dont even do the hard questions, they are just too hard. fitzpatrick is like that in some areas too. i still remember circle geo in 3u fitz, I did it cause i loved circle geo, but it was the biggest waste of time. like 100 questions that were 4u standard easily, if not higher. in fact, i got some of the solutions from the 4u forum, can prolly check my "recent" posts and see for yourself.

bmn

HSC
I'm thinking of buying Cambridge 3u textbook... Our school gives us maths in focus... I completed the yr 12 book of it within 4 weeks after I got it... Not even goin fast...

Kind of a dumb question, but does year 12 Cambridge 3u book include a) Yr 11 stuff needed for exam and b) Normal/harder 2u stuff?

micuzzo

HSC
bmn said:
I'm thinking of buying Cambridge 3u textbook... Our school gives us maths in focus... I completed the yr 12 book of it within 4 weeks after I got it... Not even goin fast...

Kind of a dumb question, but does year 12 Cambridge 3u book include a) Yr 11 stuff needed for exam and b) Normal/harder 2u stuff?

maths in focus isnt that bad... sure its a bit simplistic but if u do all the questions in htat and some past papers... i think its all u need

Timothy.Siu

Prophet 9
HSC
micuzzo said:
maths in focus isnt that bad... sure its a bit simplistic but if u do all the questions in htat and some past papers... i think its all u need
probably true to an extent, after u know the basics of everything thoroughly then u cud just do 100's of past papers and learn from them and u'll fine

live.fast

HSC
N/A
All you need for Maths is an excel book, and a past papers book. Then you're set. It's all I used anyway, and I didn't do too badly.

Kaatie

HSC
how did you get third in the state with a mark of 100? how can anyone beat that?

Kaatie

HSC
oh and Fitzpatrick 2u does it come with yr 11 stuff in it or can you buy one just for year 12?

~caramello~

HSC
Fitzpatrick and Cambridge is all you need for 2 and 3 unit maths...and past papers.

counterman

HSC
hey, i know you can buy Terry Lee text books online but are there any stores in Sydney that you can purchase them, such as Essentials of Mathematics ??

sungkwo

HSC
N/A
Hello, I was just wondering if anyone used books by John Smith? I've used one of his Year 10 books (100 mini Year 10 exams) and I really like found it useful as it contained some challenging questions, and had worked solutions which showed some shifty methods of solving some questions. I am thinking of buying either 2 or three unit HSC Practice Questions by Topic or 100 Mini HSC's.

Brontecat

HSC
Excel
+ Some challenging questions
+ Has worked solutions
- Just a textbook with less questions to practice on and more examples
- Wouldn't advise for cramming
- May have many mistakes (so watch out!)

Excel is my textbook - i like how it has lots of examples and shows working in the answers and if i want more practice i just ask the teacher for worksheets

Xcelz

HSC
I wouldn't recommend using Maths in Focus by itself. I think that you need to compliment it with harder questions from other textbooks such as Fitzpatrick and Cambridge. Or you can just use one of these harder textbooks instead of MIF. (My recommendation.)

The textbook that I am using now is Fitzpatrick (New Senior Mathematics).

After everybody in our class used MIF for the preliminary course. Everybody failed the yearly test. Our school bought the exam from the Catholic Schools organisation I think. Note - People in our class could do all the questions in MIF and still failed.

0hNivlek

HSC
Our main text book is MIF for HSC while we used Jones & Couchman in Prelims. My teacher hates MIF LOL.

gabgab

HSC
My school uses maths in focus for 2u and 3u. It's all i have experienced in relation to HSC maths, and of course I didnt realise that it wasnt as good as others on the market.

stressing. some questions i find difficult, and now im thinking that i am screwed.

oh dear.

I use excel books also, to vary the questions i use, but up until now i thought the maths in focus text book was sufficient.

i dont know now..

vtfan

PG's M Crew
HSC
Ok, would that be just because it has much more practice questions and papers?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)