A few questions... (2 Viewers)

Frigid

LLB (Hons)
HSC
N/A
erawamai said:
I loved Brown et al :(

It doesn't have neat headings but its a massive source of information. The alternative to Brown are those boring books that just outline the principles. I think Crim law is the one law subject that requires context.
i want a bit of both....

like the layout of my admin text, Creyke and McMillan, Control of Government Action.

erawamai

Retired. Gone fishing.
HSC
Frigid said:
i want a bit of both....

like the layout of my admin text, Creyke and McMillan, Control of Government Action.
You are lucky you got the new Admin text. I was the last session to do admin with the old...um...text. Lovely book that was.

Frigid

LLB (Hons)
HSC
N/A
erawamai said:
You are lucky you got the new Admin text. I was the last session to do admin with the old...um...text. Lovely book that was.
bahahhahahhahaha... apparently the old book wasn't worth the paper it was printed on! :D

erawamai

Retired. Gone fishing.
HSC
Frigid said:
bahahhahahhahaha... apparently the old book wasn't worth the paper it was printed on! :D
In my personal opinion the old book made Admin a bit of an awful experience.

ManlyChief

Manly: 7 miles from Sydney, 1000 miles from care
HSC
MoonlightSonata said:
You're not the only one!

I would imagine though, that they use a more concise (ie. less annoying waffle) Crim textbook at USyd?
When I did Crim last year, we had as set texts:

Brown et al
Bronitt and McSherry
Rush and Yeo and
Findlay (as our problem book)

Bronitt and McSherry was more concise than Brown and was printed on proper paper ;) but I don't think it was as good as Brown in the treatment of cases. Rush and Yeo was uber good.

Omnidragon

Devil
HSC
Uni Grad
hYperTrOphY said:
I just typed out a few questions which could be answered by the people who study law. While I am convinced about the course I wish to study next year, some of the responses to these questions should provide me with more insight into law at Uni.

1. Why did you choose to study law?

2. What do you most enjoy about studying law at uni?

3. What do you find most unenjoyable about studying law?

4. What did you combine with law, and what were you reasons for doing so?

5. What do you plan on doing after you graduate? (If you plan on practicing law - which field?)

6. Is there, in your opinion, a correlation between success in HSC legal studies and law at uni? Why/why not?

These are just off the top of my head. If I think of anything else, I'll add them.
Thanks to anyone who responds.
1. Why choose law? Law is the most respected degree in the world. Melb, Sydney, Moansh, NSW are all in the top 50 unis in the world. Our law schools are world class. I feel so proud to be part of this prestigious culture. Silly medicine geeks by the way.

2. Best thing about law? The snobbery of the people. God I love the culture at unis like Melb and Syd. Then again, I reckon Monash and NSW are pretty snobbish too. The snobbery makes me so proud of myself. I love it when people who missed out come talk about how relevant their arts degree is to law, and how law is just not law because all we learn are rules. It's so satisfying to hear them rant.

3. The most unenjoyable thing: the do-gooders who always scream out human rights answers in philosophy classes. We are here to do finance and law... no one cares about human rights.

4: Combined degree? COMMERCE of course... who give a crap about what Plato or Cicero said in some arts subject. Do they print money? Nope. But an investment bank sure does.

5. What will I do after? I shall be an investment banker for .15 years and then lawyer for 0.35 years. Then I will be a self-turned multi-millionaire. O... I forgot my parents already are. But I have dignity. I won't use a cent of theirs until they die.

6. HSC Legal Studies? It's all about maths I tell you. All about maths.

ManlyChief

Manly: 7 miles from Sydney, 1000 miles from care
HSC
Omnidragon said:
4: Combined degree? COMMERCE of course... who give a crap about what Plato or Cicero said in some arts subject. Do they print money? Nope. But an investment bank sure does.
That's odd ... I thought the mint or the central bank did that ...

But then, what would I know?? I combine with arts, ergo ipso facto, I know nothing about money ...

You can keep your thirty pieces of silver - I like my arts degree.

You may do well to take heed of good old Cicero's telling words on history (and, I venture, on the humanities as a whole): 'Historia vero testis temporum, lux veritatis, vita memoriae, magistra vitae'. I doubt any of your spreadsheets, stockmarkets, bonds, debentures or other assorted securities will be forthcoming with anything so insightful. :)

MoonlightSonata

Retired
HSC
N/A
<3

Say no to com/law automatons! :chainsaw:

(Note that is the 80% of com/law people who are robots, not com/law people all of whom are robots.)

santaslayer

HSC
Omnidragon said:
1. Why choose law? Law is the most respected degree in the world. Melb, Sydney, Moansh, NSW are all in the top 50 unis in the world. Our law schools are world class. I feel so proud to be part of this prestigious culture. Silly medicine geeks by the way.

2. Best thing about law? The snobbery of the people. God I love the culture at unis like Melb and Syd. Then again, I reckon Monash and NSW are pretty snobbish too. The snobbery makes me so proud of myself. I love it when people who missed out come talk about how relevant their arts degree is to law, and how law is just not law because all we learn are rules. It's so satisfying to hear them rant.

3. The most unenjoyable thing: the do-gooders who always scream out human rights answers in philosophy classes. We are here to do finance and law... no one cares about human rights.

5. What will I do after? I shall be an investment banker for .15 years and then lawyer for 0.35 years. Then I will be a self-turned multi-millionaire. O... I forgot my parents already are. But I have dignity. I won't use a cent of theirs until they die.

6. HSC Legal Studies? It's all about maths I tell you. All about maths.
Althought some may disagree with a few things you have said, I DO believe that is a correct attitude to have as a law student.

Raiks

Enigma Unlimited
HSC
hYperTrOphY said:
I just typed out a few questions which could be answered by the people who study law. While I am convinced about the course I wish to study next year, some of the responses to these questions should provide me with more insight into law at Uni.

1. Why did you choose to study law?

2. What do you most enjoy about studying law at uni?

3. What do you find most unenjoyable about studying law?

4. What did you combine with law, and what were you reasons for doing so?

5. What do you plan on doing after you graduate? (If you plan on practicing law - which field?)

6. Is there, in your opinion, a correlation between success in HSC legal studies and law at uni? Why/why not?

These are just off the top of my head. If I think of anything else, I'll add them.
Thanks to anyone who responds.
1. I was foolish. I thought Law would lead me to wealth, smartness and a very attractive wife. I have learned from my mistakes.

2. I most enjoyed the sound sleeping time that seminars provided me.

3. What didn't I like... well, from the incredibly smart yet utterly clueless students, to the monotone lecturers who peel paint off the wall with their boringness, to the immense amount of readings which were shite ridden, to just being considered a wanker by the rest of campus, because let's face it, the law faculty is like a magnet for overachieving wankers.

4. First I combined Pysch., then I combined it with Commerce... now I am combining commerce with arts, because let's face it, now I can be philosophically insightful and also know how to make money out of people listen to me ramble philosophical and ideological crap.

5. I don't plan to practice law anywhere at anytime.

6. No, there is a stronger correllation between being a wanker and good marks than there is doing HSC Legal Studies.

santaslayer

HSC
Raiks said:
1. I was foolish. I thought Law would lead me to wealth, smartness and a very attractive wife. I have learned from my mistakes.

2. I most enjoyed the sound sleeping time that seminars provided me.

3. What didn't I like... well, from the incredibly smart yet utterly clueless students, to the monotone lecturers who peel paint off the wall with their boringness, to the immense amount of readings which were shite ridden, to just being considered a wanker by the rest of campus, because let's face it, the law faculty is like a magnet for overachieving wankers.

4. First I combined Pysch., then I combined it with Commerce... now I am combining commerce with arts, because let's face it, now I can be philosophically insightful and also know how to make money out of people listen to me ramble philosophical and ideological crap.

5. I don't plan to practice law anywhere at anytime.

6. No, there is a stronger correllation between being a wanker and good marks than there is doing HSC Legal Studies.
eh, raiks is bitter. :p

paper cup

pamplemousse
HSC
so anyway I;m looking forward to being an overachieving wanker. :rolleyes:

05er

HSC
Manly said:
What, pray, is that supposed to mean???
Come on! Even Gordo says it's mindless repetition and regurgitation.

MS said:
Say no to com/law automatons!
Will *I* turn into a CL automaton if I do it? I don't think so. I'll come out of the degree being the same, Shakespearean darling I was going into it.

MoonlightSonata

Retired
HSC
N/A
The people who complain about law are typically those who aren't too good at it -- whether it is because they aren't interested and thus aren't as motivated or because their natural talents are not as well suited to the field. If you don't like it, best to find another area of study. Leave law for those who will make good lawyers.

Also, law is definitely not mindless repetition and regurgitation. It is a challenging course. Critical thinking, problem solving, argument, research and mastery of language are all important elements of law. It requires one to truly think, not merely to churn through algorithms on a piece of paper.

erawamai

Retired. Gone fishing.
HSC
cherryblossom said:
so anyway I;m looking forward to being an overachieving wanker. :rolleyes:
Well when you get to law school you everyone is an overachieving 'wanker'. However I object to the wankers bit. There are overachievers who are not wankers. Nice people who are not snobs and who are willing to share ideas and discuss.

However there is no shortage of wankers. There is this guy in one of my classes who talks like he is Jesus himself. With hand signals and dramatic pauses, like everything he says is unbelievably significant and altogether insightful when really most of it amounts to pompous wankery and verbal dysentery . He essentially pauses for thought before completing his sentence in order to emphasise the significance and insightfulness of what he is saying. Tilting his head to look even more insightful. Thankfully classes are over for the year, but I'd almost start laughing if he touched his chin while making a dramatic pause.

Then again you can't judge people by the way they speak. Another guy who speaks with the biggest uppernorthshore drawl is one the nicest guys around.

MoonlightSonata said:
Also, law is definitely not mindless repetition and regurgitation. It is a challenging course. Critical thinking, problem solving, argument, research and mastery of language are all important elements of law. It requires one to truly think, not merely to churn through algorithms on a piece of paper.
OH dear Moonlight is using the royal 'one' :p

Last edited:

Serious Performance
HSC
N/A
Omnidragon said:
We are here to do finance and law... no one cares about human rights.
lol, yo damn right

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)