A few questions... (1 Viewer)

Serious Performance
HSC
N/A
They're not useless, they're just overemphasised in the 'idealistic law student' scenario.

erawamai

Retired. Gone fishing.
HSC
011 said:
They're not useless, they're just overemphasised in the 'idealistic law student' scenario.
How are human rights overemphasied?

Serious Performance
HSC
N/A
Too many 'OMG I WANNA BE A HUMAN RIGHTS LAWYER' types bounding around. Seems to be the case with almost every single arts/law person I know, that's where theres a special grouping.

erawamai

Retired. Gone fishing.
HSC
011 said:
Too many 'OMG I WANNA BE A HUMAN RIGHTS LAWYER' types bounding around. Seems to be the case with almost every single arts/law person I know, that's where theres a special grouping.
Arts students usually learn about Human Rights. It's easy to knock them if you have never studied them. Human Rights are a part of the study and interplay of rights in general. This doesn't mean I want to be a human rights lawyer. It's just that I'd hate to think that people would openly scorn their existence or treat them as a joke. It would tend to indicate they know nothing about rights in general, which would be a bit scary since lawyers are in the business of rights and liabilities.

Last edited:

05er

HSC
MoonlightSonata said:
The people who complain about law are typically those who aren't too good at it -- whether it is because they aren't interested and thus aren't as motivated or because their natural talents are not as well suited to the field. If you don't like it, best to find another area of study. Leave law for those who will make good lawyers.

Also, law is definitely not mindless repetition and regurgitation. It is a challenging course. Critical thinking, problem solving, argument, research and mastery of language are all important elements of law. It requires one to truly think, not merely to churn through algorithms on a piece of paper.
My original point was not that Law is dry but that the USyd approach is.

Shut down.

ManlyChief

Manly: 7 miles from Sydney, 1000 miles from care
HSC
05er said:
Come on! Even Gordo says it's mindless repetition and regurgitation.
05er (in response to very intelligent and accurate post by Moonlight) said:
My original point was not that Law is dry but that the USyd approach is.

Shut down.
Ahem ... I have 4 points to make:

(1) Had you any understanding of the teaching of law across the various institutions you would know that MoonlightSonata's point is very relevant since overwhelmingly the various unis are more similar than they are different. After all, we all must study the Priestly Eleven, we generally use many common textbooks, our staff change between the unis regularly etc etc etc.

(2) I like Gordo, I really do, but - assuming I accept that you have reported his statement truthfully - this is just the opinion of a student in a particular class at a particular time and not a generally applicable characterisation. You would admit his evidence as expert opinion would you? It seems a rather fallcious appeal to authority to me.

(3) Now, there foregoing assumed the credibility of your reporting, which I doubt. Assuming Gordo made a statement to the effect you claim, his history of defending USyd on this forum would suggest to me that his statment has been take out of context, which weakens its credibility. However, even if it is true, fair and candid, point (2) above still applies.

(4) Methinks your opinion of USyd as 'dry' has been crafted by simplistic syllogistic reasoning, i.e.

SANDSTONE BUILDINGS = OLD and BORING
USYD = SANDSTONE
.'. USYD = OLD and BORING

Surely the absurdity of this reasoning is plain for all to see ...

That said, good luck with your UAI and choosing a uni :)

EDIT: I know this post sounds harsh, but I really don't mean it as a personal attack, 05er, 'cause you sound fun (I've just seen your 'finding friends at uni' thread - you say you are coming to USyd, so you must be ok) it's just a raw nerve for me ...
PS - You can't shut down MoonlightSonata, he has magic mods powers ... :)

Last edited:

ManlyChief

HSC
011 said:
o many 'OMG I WANNA BE A HUMAN RIGHTS LAWYER' types bounding around. Seems to be the case with almost every single arts/law person I know, that's where theres a special grouping.
erawamai said:
Arts students usually learn about Human Rights. It's easy to knock them if you have never studied them. Human Rights are a part of the study and interplay of rights in general. This doesn't mean I want to be a human rights lawyer. It's just that I'd hate to think that people would openly scorn their existence or treat them as a joke. It would tend to indicate they know nothing about rights in general, which would be a bit scary since lawyers are in the business of rights and liabilities.
I totally agree with erawamai.

Even though I am an arts student, I have no desire to involve myself with the practice of human rights law or even to take such subjets as electives. However, I am sensible enough to recognise the critical importance that area of law has on the maintenance of civil society and constitute (along with property law :)) the very cornerstone of the legal civilisation.

Omnidragon

Devil
HSC
Uni Grad
Arts students? Well at least you are arts/law. I respect you to an extent.

Straight arts students? I'm afraid my snobby law attitude can't accept that.

ManlyChief

HSC
Omnidragon said:
Arts students? Well at least you are arts/law. I respect you to an extent.

Straight arts students? I'm afraid my snobby law attitude can't accept that.
Naughty boy.

I have far more respect for most staight (and gay :)) arts students than I have for most law students.

It is folks like you, sir, who give law students a bad reputation.

EDIT: Thank God you are not from USyd.

Last edited:

MiuMiu

Somethin' special....
HSC
Me thinks its time to stop addressing omnidragons comments, seems like a troll to me....

Raiks

Enigma Unlimited
HSC
cherryblossom said:
so anyway I;m looking forward to being an overachieving wanker. :rolleyes:
That is the exact attitude you need if you want to Law. At least you're realistic in your ambitions. :)

erawamai

Retired. Gone fishing.
HSC
Most arts students are lovely :)

erawamai

Retired. Gone fishing.
HSC
ManlyChief said:
When I did Crim last year, we had as set texts:

Brown et al
Bronitt and McSherry
Rush and Yeo and
Findlay (as our problem book)

Bronitt and McSherry was more concise than Brown and was printed on proper paper ;) but I don't think it was as good as Brown in the treatment of cases. Rush and Yeo was uber good.
Brown et al is printed on Bible paper. If it wasn't it would be a few inches thicker.

MiuMiu

Somethin' special....
HSC
Hahaha as if it wasn't already thick enough.

Highlighting pages in brown et al was fun....it like soaked right through hehe

Frigid

LLB (Hons)
HSC
N/A
really? i always find i dun have enough things to say.

besides, the judgments of Lord Denning are always proof that economy of words does not mean economy of thought. :)

ManlyChief

HSC
Frigid said:
besides, the judgments of Lord Denning are always proof that economy of words does not mean economy of thought. :)
I <3 Lord Denning

Oooo, yeah, 's up y'all, DJ Denning in da house - dig that funky beat ...

:D

Can you believe he lived to be 100? That's so super fantastic ...

EDIT: Is it just me or does he look a lot like Allan Jones??

Last edited:

Frigid

LLB (Hons)
HSC
N/A
some have called him a legend. my admin teacher called him a racist old bugger...

but then again, we're all entitled to our opinions. his judgments are cool though.

erawamai

Retired. Gone fishing.
HSC
Frigid said:
some have called him a legend. my admin teacher called him a racist old bugger...

but then again, we're all entitled to our opinions. his judgments are cool though.
Who do you have for Admin Friggy? I have heard that he was a little red around the neck.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)