A new perspective on the atar? (1 Viewer)

Leffife

A lover is a best friend
HSC
N/A
Money is worth way more than just an ATAR. Apart from saying that I cant tell exact figures about their relationship.

TheGreatest99.95

Premium Member
HSC
this is a stupid thread. the atar is just a mark to progress on to a course at uni. Its intrinsic cost will change for each person

99.95 atar =/= instant success in the real world

uni is a different ball game altogether

Leffife

A lover is a best friend
HSC
N/A
If you want me to be more exact then check out the following:

99.95 ATAR = $10
80.00 ATAR = $5
55.00 ATAR = $0
Straight to Uni* = $3000

* If I didn't already did school

Okashi

HSC
Its worth how much you have to pay UAC
$27 dollars for processing charges to get an ATAR for undergraduate submissions.
Late fees range from $119 to $147 plus processing.

TL;dr : stop asking pointless questions

someth1ng

Retired Nov '14
HSC
Uni Grad
They're totally different things, it's like asking how much a metre costs - they're unrelated and you can't just give it a monetary price.

Honestly, earning an ATAR is priceless but buying an ATAR is worthless.

Sy123

This too shall pass
HSC
If you don't get the ATAR you need, you have to spend more time in Uni to get to your desired course. The longer you stay in Uni, the more money you pay, hence the higher ATAR you have, if you are aiming for a high cut-off course will save you money in the long run.

LoveHateSchool

Retired Sept '14
HSC
Uni Grad
Nothing is better than earning something through hardwork. And that's something the HSC does teach you-even if the syllabi aren't that useful for university study in many cases.

It's isn't that ATAR on paper that determines anything, it's how you decide to work that number and apply yourself academically in university that is more important.

WeaselPowa

HSC
Nothing is better than earning something through hardwork. And that's something the HSC does teach you-even if the syllabi aren't that useful for university study in many cases.

It's isn't that ATAR on paper that determines anything, it's how you decide to work that number and apply yourself academically in university that is more important.
This is spot on. You can't put a price on hard work and consistency that is built when working towards an ATAR. IMO, that is the entire point of implementing the ATAR system. It is so you develop a consisten study pattern that can be implemented in university

LightXT

HSC
Uni Grad
You can't put a price on hard work and consistency
Meanwhile...in Economics.

I reckon OP is asking a legitimate question. After studying opportunity cost and intrinsic/extrinsic cos all over again in Micro, I think a lot of you guys are being too dismissive.

99.95 - $20000
80 - $1000
55 - $50

Last edited:

deswa1

HSC
99.95 is worth a lot more than $20,000. Firstly, you get a 10k/year scholarship so for a five year course, you have $50k there. Then also from a tutoring perspective, it is very easy to get students- hence more money here and also indirectly with a higher ATAR, you can do whatever course you want.

LightXT

HSC
Uni Grad
99.95 is worth a lot more than $20,000. Firstly, you get a 10k/year scholarship so for a five year course, you have $50k there. Then also from a tutoring perspective, it is very easy to get students- hence more money here and also indirectly with a higher ATAR, you can do whatever course you want.
Applying the cost-benefit principle, should I be willing to pay $20000 for an ATAR of 99.95, or stick with 99.70, and not pay anything at all?

deswa1

HSC
You should want to pay it. Cost is $20,000, and there is a direct benefit of the scientia scholarship as well as indirect benefits but ignore them. So benefit is (is engineering 4 or 5 years?). Lets say 4-> benefit is at least $40,000 so cost benefit says defs

nerdasdasd

Dont.msg.me.about.english
HSC
Uni Grad
What is the point of this thread?? You cannot buy an ATAR, you must work for it ...

enoilgam

HSC
I think the question is more or less asking if you could buy an ATAR and skip the HSC, what would you pay for it. Personally, even though a 99.95 ATAR could be worth a fair bit of money scholarship wise, I think most people would be in trouble if they skipped from Year 11 to uni. As much as people bag the HSC for being nothing in comparison to uni, it still in a way prepares you in terms of skills and other intangibles which you need for uni. I would say if someone skipped year 12 to go directly to uni, they would most likely stuggle significantly during the first year.

LoveHateSchool

Retired Sept '14
HSC
Uni Grad
I think the question is more or less asking if you could buy an ATAR and skip the HSC, what would you pay for it. Personally, even though a 99.95 ATAR could be worth a fair bit of money scholarship wise, I think most people would be in trouble if they skipped from Year 11 to uni. As much as people bag the HSC for being nothing in comparison to uni, it still in a way prepares you in terms of skills and other intangibles which you need for uni. I would say if someone skipped year 12 to go directly to uni, they would most likely stuggle significantly during the first year.
But also if one were to buy the ATAR who is to say they could maintain it as required at uni, most of those you need a D average every semester and it is only paid per semester.

Also there are scholarships where a high ATAR is required but a big focus on ECs and other things.

RivalryofTroll

Sleep Deprived Entity
HSC
Uni Grad
99.95 - $25000

80 - $50

55 - $25

No idea how much I'd pay.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)