a question... abt english (1 Viewer)

freaking_out

Saddam's new life
HSC
Originally posted by **freakstar87**
if you are doing standard and you are VERY VERY good at it, i suggest you should stick to it because if you do standard in yr 11 and you want to choose advanced in yr 12 you are considered to be at a bigger disadvantage with the fact that you have already missed out on 3 terms of hectic work. who knows, you might get a band 6 in english! one person from my school got a band 6 in standard english and since she did so well at one part of the exam, her mark was scaled. well that's what my english teacher told my class. but if you want to do advanced english then go for it if you can! :) :) :)
na, when u do advanced english in yr. 12 ur basically starting all over again- and since standard and advanced has some common material as well- then it shouldn't b that hard to go do advanced.

i'm a good example why u should do advanced- i'm crap at english, but i did advanced and i got 78 - which is like the top mark any standard kid can get (unless u top the state or something)- so yeah, lotta advantage in doing advanced! :)

slipper

HSC
it's harder to get a band 6 in standard as you don't do critical studies - feminist, marxist etc. lit theories.
that's the kind of stuff that gets the marks.
even if you don't have to do it in class, make your aos stuff different, like using the hero's journey structure to discuss a film you're doing. there's heaps of stuff on the net like http://hotkey.net.au/~melinda1/archtype.htm
and don't do stuff everyone else is doing like thelma and louise.
my teacher has been marking the HSC for years and that's some of her advice.

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
Originally posted by slipper
it's harder to get a band 6 in standard as you don't do critical studies - feminist, marxist etc. lit theories.
that's the kind of stuff that gets the marks.
even if you don't have to do it in class, make your aos stuff different, like using the hero's journey structure to discuss a film you're doing. there's heaps of stuff on the net like http://hotkey.net.au/~melinda1/archtype.htm
and don't do stuff everyone else is doing like thelma and louise.
my teacher has been marking the HSC for years and that's some of her advice.

it is harder to get a band 6 mainly cos of the above reasons, but there is nothing stopping you from talking to the teacher, or a teacher doing it and getting advice or opinions, i know my friend did that exact thing and barely missed out on a b6 while doing standard english, he got a 89.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)