a question... abt english (1 Viewer)

kow_dude

HSC
what school you go to grk_styl ??

seems to me that quite a lot of schools dont allow students to change stand to adv english .... !!!

Tenille

the one & only
HSC
It mine, yyou can go from standard to advanced, but you have to be going really well in standard, and i think you have to be asked to be moved up also. So far i think only 1 person has gone from standard to advanced in my year.

kow_dude

HSC
well ... if the baord of studies says students are allowed
to change from standard to advanced for yr 12.... it's not fair to have teachers stopping us from doing adv !

Tenille

the one & only
HSC
Its because its not reccomended. And you can only change in year 11. in year whatever you are doing, your stuck there.

:: ck ::

Actuarial Boy
HSC
where did it say that the board of studies allowed students to go from standard to advanced in year 12?

doesnt it have some requirement 240hrs or wotever the amount is... of class uve been attending a particular subject (just like the SC paper)

Tenille

the one & only
HSC
nah i don't think you can swap in year 12, but you can in year 11.... don't quote me tho

:: ck ::

Actuarial Boy
HSC
sounds a bit late to swap right about now

ur end of course prelim mark wudn be complete then u must have had some assessments already done by this time for SURE

kimmeh

Sleeping
HSC
i know this guy in yr 12 now.. he did standard englihs in yr 11.. but my school manipulated it somehow so he could do adv english for yr 12.. .. but he was coming first... which is really unfair..... but he was coming first in his pther sunjects as well [phys, chem, bio, Business (he dropped that)] is that even allowed? i know all the yr 12s were pissed out og their brains when they heard he moved up...

kow_dude

HSC
the bored of studies collects 'notes' from students...
where are those notes?? i cant find it anywhere on the site...

kow_dude

HSC
ummm nevermind ~
the list thingy on the left doesnt appear right with "opera" but works with "internet explorer"... whoops

CHUDYMASTER

Master of Chudy 'n' Curry
HSC
Kow_dude, as your fellow former student of HBHS, I don't advise you to change to Advanced unless you're good at english. You're wrong in thinking that Advanced will get you higher- it won't.

Advanced and Standard are scaled together - standard is not capped, it's just that no one can go good in it. Take our school, I'm the only one in our entire school who got a band 6 in english, and we had some good students (I got lucky ;)) So don't fool yourself, it's very risky to choose advanced if you're not good at it...Morey and Roberts would eat you alive lol

Also, the worse you go in english, the worse the scaling is.

Last edited:

Josie

Everything's perfect!
HSC
I'm also willing to bet Advanced is the more annoying course. I wouldn't know, cause they wouldn't let anyone in our year *do* Standard.

CHUDYMASTER

Master of Chudy 'n' Curry
HSC
Originally posted by Josie
I'm also willing to bet Advanced is the more annoying course. I wouldn't know, cause they wouldn't let anyone in our year *do* Standard.
You just have lazy teachers who probably don't even know the course. They aren't teachers as far as I'm concerned. It's like that in many selective schools. They let competition get in the way of reality.

Josie

Everything's perfect!
HSC
They know the course, they just didnt offer it to our year. The year above did it. Can't remember how they went.

Its not competition, its bullshit classes.

freaking_out

Saddam's new life
HSC
Originally posted by kow_dude
i want to know why it is not possible to get band 6 for standard english ....
and there's less than 2 percent who get band 5....???

this is freaking me out because i'm doing standard eng (i'm in yr 11 atm) and i want to do adv eng for yr 12 ='(
i reckon u can still change to advanced english for yr. 12 if u do good in standard english this year. :)

HSC
if you are doing standard and you are VERY VERY good at it, i suggest you should stick to it because if you do standard in yr 11 and you want to choose advanced in yr 12 you are considered to be at a bigger disadvantage with the fact that you have already missed out on 3 terms of hectic work. who knows, you might get a band 6 in english! one person from my school got a band 6 in standard english and since she did so well at one part of the exam, her mark was scaled. well that's what my english teacher told my class. but if you want to do advanced english then go for it if you can! :) :) :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)