A question addressed to persons aiming for, or expecting, a high ATAR... (1 Viewer)

LightXT

HSC
Uni Grad
I apologise if this question has been asked before. Search function isn't working for some strange reason.

I want to know what motivates academic high achievers in their pursuit of a high ATAR. My definition of 'high' is anything above 99, but your definition may be different. Why would you put in so much time and effort, when the degree you want to do at university has a low cutoff? A scholarship, perhaps? Many, if not most, high ATAR students at my school just want to get into Med or Law and actually need a high mark. What about you? Why do you spend those countless hours studying and making sacrifices?

P.S : My condolences if my language appears pretentious. That's because it is :p

Hermes1

Banned
HSC
why r u assuming ppl put in countless hours studying?

meilz92

where are my hair
HSC
Uni Grad
people who want 99.95 when their course is only like 85 will be kicking themselves once they've settled into their degree and realise how much time they wasted studying obsessively when they couldve been out partying and having a life or something

Hermes1

Banned
HSC
people who want 99.95 when their course is only like 85 will be kicking themselves once they've settled into their degree and realise how much time they wasted studying obsessively when they couldve been out partying and having a life or something
this. most employers dont even look at ur ATAR. they look at stuff you do at uni.

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
I apologise if this question has been asked before. Search function isn't working for some strange reason.

I want to know what motivates academic high achievers in their pursuit of a high ATAR. My definition of 'high' is anything above 99, but your definition may be different. Why would you put in so much time and effort, when the degree you want to do at university has a low cutoff? A scholarship, perhaps? Many, if not most, high ATAR students at my school just want to get into Med or Law and actually need a high mark. What about you? Why do you spend those countless hours studying and making sacrifices?

P.S : My condolences if my language appears pretentious. That's because it is :p
Bragging rights, duh.

muzeikchun852

HSC
MOST people, that I've seen, who have attained high ATARs put in a lot of effort...although YOU might be an exception.
some people are naturally smart and hence less study. I got loads of friend who's very talented in certain subject and do little study and achieve high marks.

iRuler

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
Because they want to prove something to themselves and show up everyone else

/thread

Hermes1

Banned
HSC
MOST people, that I've seen, who have attained high ATARs put in a lot of effort...although YOU might be an exception.
dont make me out to be the pretentious one. ppl dont study for the hsc as much as u think, theres only so much work you can do.

scarybunny

Rocket Queen
HSC
It's faster to get into your desired uni course through the right ATAR, rather than having to do a year of uni to get high enough marks to transfer.
There's no point putting in more effort than you need to, but it's hard to gauge how you'll do compared to the rest of the state so most people overcompensate.

Squishxmishyx

Olive You.
HSC
Because of Darwin's theory of Evolution. We constantly go through a process called natural selection where favourable traits get passed on to our offspring which makes the trait more common in the population. (Such as the want for a high ATAR)

So 1st, variation exists in a population where individuals are not identical. Eg. sex addicts, losers, weirdos, smart people, lazy people, robots, people who sniff the ground for a living.

2nd. The individuals who do not survive due to environmental pressures have their characteristics removed from the population. Eg. people who sniff the ground do not survive in our society due to environmental pressures like Asian parents, governments who pay scientists like Planck and Einstein to develop a bomb to win World Wars, annoying people who think they're better than you etc. So they get wiped out.

3rd. The people that do survive because they are well adapted to society reproduce and pass on their characteristics.

Lastly these characteristics become more and more common in the population such as the characteristics of wanting a high ATAR.

Man I love revision.

LoveHateSchool

Retired Sept '14
HSC
Uni Grad
The bragging rights only last a month though, once you bring up ATAR in uni and beyond you seem like a pretentious nut.

That said, I would never get 99.95, so if I did, I couldn't help bragging >.<

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)