A question addressed to persons aiming for, or expecting, a high ATAR... (1 Viewer)

jamesfirst

HSC
But no one cares about your ATAR. Lot of effort for just a few bragging rights.
The course you want to get into cares about your atar.

Especially if it's a competitive courses like law or med.

jamesfirst

HSC
Because of Darwin's theory of Evolution. We constantly go through a process called natural selection where favourable traits get passed on to our offspring which makes the trait more common in the population. (Such as the want for a high ATAR)

So 1st, variation exists in a population where individuals are not identical. Eg. sex addicts, losers, weirdos, smart people, lazy people, robots, people who sniff the ground for a living.

2nd. The individuals who do not survive due to environmental pressures have their characteristics removed from the population. Eg. people who sniff the ground do not survive in our society due to environmental pressures like Asian parents, governments who pay scientists like Planck and Einstein to develop a bomb to win World Wars, annoying people who think they're better than you etc. So they get wiped out.

3rd. The people that do survive because they are well adapted to society reproduce and pass on their characteristics.

Lastly these characteristics become more and more common in the population such as the characteristics of wanting a high ATAR.

Man I love revision.

Just stop...

LightXT

HSC
Uni Grad
dont make me out to be the pretentious one. ppl dont study for the hsc as much as u think, theres only so much work you can do.
Soz. I didn't mean to imply anything about you.

It's just that...the top 40 in my year put in a lot of hours. Heck, they even study during free periods :/ , and they're the ones who get 99+. There are at least 1000 people each year who get over 99, and I'm pretty sure not all of them want to do Med or Law.

Still haven't heard from anyone who's actually aiming high ITT yet...

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
But no one cares about your ATAR. Lot of effort for just a few bragging rights.
But it's great bragging rights. If you have strong connections with the school - you'll find the Year 12 cohorts to come instantly respect you more due to the high ATAR =P

The bragging rights only last a month though, once you bring up ATAR in uni and beyond you seem like a pretentious nut.

That said, I would never get 99.95, so if I did, I couldn't help bragging >.<
True, the bragging rights only last a month or so - but it's still good stuff. And if you bring up ATAR in uni, it's not always bad and pretentious.

iRuler

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
one of my friends with a high atar doing Law/Arts was getting owned by some with a 82atar or something doing just arts for some subjects, so a high ATAR doesn't mean you're overall smarter than anyone, you might get shot down some day in uni

jamesfirst

HSC
Soz. I didn't mean to imply anything about you.

It's just that...the top 40 in my year put in a lot of hours. Heck, they even study during free periods :/ , and they're the ones who get 99+. There are at least 1000 people each year who get over 99, and I'm pretty sure not all of them want to do Med or Law.

Still haven't heard from anyone who's actually aiming high ITT yet...

But it's final year of schooling. It's better to put in effort and perform your best than to regret in the future.

and there are many courses that require 99 ATAR

Aindan

HSC
tbh, i'm probably goign to get around 99 and I seriously dunno why i put as much effort as I do.
I'm aiming to do actuarial studies or something the rather but not med or law. The worst case scenario for getting in is 92 atar plus bonus points at unsw or so its pretty realistic i'll get in.

I guess I may as well try my hardest (or at least 80%) because i've spent 15 years in the education system so i may as well give it a lot of effort. Also, I dunno about you guys but my parents compare ATARs with their family friends children alot, and the atar you get is for them a determinant on how intelligent you are (kind of stupid if you ask me).

But like at the end of the day, there really isn't much point. Just get into the uni course and it's all good, so yeah i've been taking it easy in the leadup to the trials. Why stress?
that's my 2 cents

Hermes1

Banned
HSC
tbh, i'm probably goign to get around 99 and I seriously dunno why i put as much effort as I do.
I'm aiming to do actuarial studies or something the rather but not med or law. The worst case scenario for getting in is 92 atar plus bonus points at unsw or so its pretty realistic i'll get in.

I guess I may as well try my hardest (or at least 80%) because i've spent 15 years in the education system so i may as well give it a lot of effort. Also, I dunno about you guys but my parents compare ATARs with their family friends children alot, and the atar you get is for them a determinant on how intelligent you are (kind of stupid if you ask me).

But like at the end of the day, there really isn't much point. Just get into the uni course and it's all good, so yeah i've been taking it easy in the leadup to the trials. Why stress?
that's my 2 cents
im doing actuarial as well, so im actually taking maths srsly this year. Also the co-op scholarship is a pretty good incentive for a high Atar

jamesfirst

HSC
ATAR doesn't determine whether your smart.

It is an indication of how much effort you put in. Yes, tutoring is an effort. Effort made by parents to provide a better education for you. *Hint James Ruse ppl. -_-;;

Aindan

HSC
im doing actuarial as well, so im actually taking maths srsly this year. Also the co-op scholarship is a pretty good incentive for a high Atar
you really only need 96+, once you reach that threshold they don't look for atar, they have other criteria

Hermes1

Banned
HSC
you really only need 96+, once you reach that threshold they don't look for atar, they have other criteria
oh really, wow. well there goes any last bits of motivation i had for the hsc

Aindan

HSC
if you had no other forms of motivation, then O_O

LightXT

HSC
Uni Grad

that's my 2 cents
This happens to me as well...and I agree with your sentiment 100%

I'm considering majoring in Actuary if I do a combined BCom/BEng...don't know if that's possible though. And an Actuary major is completely unrelated to Engo. It's not my first preference.

I probably should have mentioned earlier that my first preference requires 98.0 or higher. I actually need a high ATAR...

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
What, no - that's completely wrong.

In your world: "Hmm yeah you only got 96.05 but I'll let you into this course with a Main Round cut off of 99.15 or so".

Aindan

HSC

In your world: "Hmm yeah you only got 96.05 but I'll let you into this course with a Main Round cut off of 99.15 or so".
well that's the general consensus for being considered in any co-op scholarhip. On top of that, your atar also has to be higher than the main round cut off.

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
well that's the general consensus for being considered in any co-op scholarhip. On top of that, your atar also has to be higher than the main round cut off.
Your post could've been misinterpreted as I seemingly have done... I didn't know you were talking about co-op stuff.

Carry on.

LightXT

HSC
Uni Grad

He's talking about the Co-Op Scholarship.

I know a girl who barely made the cutoff but ended up getting a Co-Op @ UNSW for BCom (Accounting). i think they accepted her (for the scholarship) before she got her ATAR. She was freaking out over what would happen if she didn't make the cut-off outright, the night before ATARs were released.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)