A Subject Selection Predicament... (1 Viewer)

acemusic415

HSC
Well, I'm having a subject selection predicament. I'm also very meticulous of my subjects and I despise Maths and Science and strangely I want to do Law in University. I have a deep interest in Law and I really want to do it, anybody have any suggestions.

Here is my current choice list:
- Advanced English
- Chemistry
- Legal Studies
- 2 Unit Mathematics
- Ancient History

Now, Çhemistry is probably the only science subject I get 95%+ in, and I actually bother to listen in class. Maths, as much as I despise its overload in information and formulas, I wont bother with General nor even consider Extension 1 or 2. English is probably my favourite subject in school and alongside my interest with Legal Studies. I was considering English Extension 1, but I'm not sure. Is there a great deal of difference between Extension 1 and Advanced English?

Now, comes the problem, I'm missing 2 units for a subject. Which to choose? I decided confidently for Economics, however it clashes with Chemistry, so and Chemistry I prefer much more than Humanity subjects. If I ever do get to do law, I would prefer a combined degree in Commerce and Law. So should I substitute the loss of Economics with Business Studies?

Don't get me started with Sciences, Physics, I absolutely hate, its not even funny and I find Biology disgusting...

Pretty much, I'm stuck with the options of Business Studies and Extension English (1). I tend to grasp concepts quickly, my vocabulary extends very well for an average Year 10 student.. well thats what my English Teacher believes... and I can reteach the concepts I learn to others. So its pretty much a disputable battle between the two. Any advice?

Thanks in advance!

K

khorne

Do Ext 1...If you're gunning for Law, humanities are the way to go, so I would attempt Ext 1, and then in year 12, try Ext 2 (English). Vocab isn't such a problem, it can always be learnt, and won't really offer much of an advantage, but effective essay writing skills will :D. Ask your careers advisor too, they are there to help you.

bawd

HSC
Well, I'm having a subject selection predicament. I'm also very meticulous of my subjects and I despise Maths and Science and strangely I want to do Law in University. I have a deep interest in Law and I really want to do it, anybody have any suggestions.

- Advanced English
- Chemistry
- Legal Studies
- 2 Unit Mathematics
- Ancient History

Now, Çhemistry is probably the only science subject I get 95%+ in, and I actually bother to listen in class. Maths, as much as I despise its overload in information and formulas, I wont bother with General nor even consider Extension 1 or 2. English is probably my favourite subject in school and alongside my interest with Legal Studies. I was considering English Extension 1, but I'm not sure. Is there a great deal of difference between Extension 1 and Advanced English?

Now, comes the problem, I'm missing 2 units for a subject. Which to choose? I decided confidently for Economics, however it clashes with Chemistry, so and Chemistry I prefer much more than Humanity subjects. If I ever do get to do law, I would prefer a combined degree in Commerce and Law. So should I substitute the loss of Economics with Business Studies?

Don't get me started with Sciences, Physics, I absolutely hate, its not even funny and I find Biology disgusting...

Pretty much, I'm stuck with the options of Business Studies and Extension English (1). I tend to grasp concepts quickly, my vocabulary extends very well for an average Year 10 student.. well thats what my English Teacher believes... and I can reteach the concepts I learn to others. So its pretty much a disputable battle between the two. Any advice?

Thanks in advance!
If you like English, and I mean, have a fiery passion for it, then definitely do Extension 1 English. The quality of content and level of critical thinking required for Extension 1 English seems quite demanding at first, but once you get settled down and learn to be able to critically judge texts, apply and understand critical theory etc. Extension English becomes quite enjoyable. That being said Extension 1 English is in a whole different league from Advanced English, and I have found Extension 1 English to be more enjoyable and interesting. Also note that although Extension 1 English is a one unit course, it will require a lot of dedication and hard work outside of class. From your description of your current status in English, you sound like an Extension 1 candidate, but a big vocabulary (yes it helps) is a small component in Extension English, and in my opinion, not necessary to be successful in the subject.

kurt.physics

HSC
N/A

- Advanced English
- Chemistry
- Legal Studies
- 2 Unit Mathematics
- Ancient History

Thanks in advance!
Have you considered doing Economics through distance ed?

You would still be able to chemistry and economics. And if you enjoy economics as much as you said, then doing it through distance education shouldn't be hard.

sunshinegirl

HSC

- Advanced English
- Chemistry
- Legal Studies
- 2 Unit Mathematics
- Ancient History

Thanks in advance!

I reckon that your subjects sound pretty good...our school just tells us to BALANCE ie not do to much of any one strand eg maths or something.
If you want to do Law do English and lots of it. Why are you doing 2U Maths if you hate it so much?? I hate it too, and I'm with you on Physics and Bio :)
Have you considered an artier or more hands-on subject to mix it up a bit and give you some variety?

Official

Bring it on
HSC
Remember you can always drop subjects later on if you don't like so don't hesitate choosing subjects you may want to do!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)