Abbott thinks reading the Bible should be compulsory in schools (1 Viewer)

timw7845

Somewhere near the mountains... somewhere near the
HSC
Don't understand why everyone turns militant as soon as the Bible is mentioned...

If I recall correctly, he said the aim is to not convert. In that case I wouldn't mind if kids had a little more understanding of what the Bible actually says. At least then debating with cocksure 16 year olds would be a bit more fulfilling instead of facepalming every twelve and a half seconds.
have you done religion before?

ekoolish

Impossible?
HSC
Don't understand why everyone turns militant as soon as the Bible is mentioned...

If I recall correctly, he said the aim is to not convert. In that case I wouldn't mind if kids had a little more understanding of what the Bible actually says. At least then debating with cocksure 16 year olds would be a bit more fulfilling instead of facepalming every twelve and a half seconds.
Because it's too difficult for them. If something is difficult and a beneficial ends is not evident in their near future, they surrender to its hardships.

Slidey

But pieces of what?
HSC

As long as we include the Qu'ran and Torah as well as prominent texts on the philosophy of religion and atheism/agnosticism (I can think of a few).

ekoolish

Impossible?
HSC
It doesn't take away from the fact you still chose it, you had the option of looking at the course / syllabus to find out what it was composed of and made the decision to do the subject, where as this is forced, no option to say "I don't wanna".
It has taken mankind thousands of years to determine what is right and wrong (and evidently still struggles), how do you suppose a child can make that distinction on its own?

skyisthelimit

Banned
HSC
N/A
If Australia's official religion was Christianity, this would be slightly understandable. However, since we are a secular nation, this proposition is almost farcical. Compulsary Bible studies should only be enforced in private Christian schools.

Last edited:

itszen

HSC
Seriously Abbott. Go shove your biblical views somewhere else then our secular Australian people. Stuff you Abbott.

SnowFox

Premium Member
HSC
I was kicked out of scripture because i disproved god with a magic wand.

Ethanescence

HSC
N/A
If I recall correctly, he said the aim is to not convert. In that case I wouldn't mind if kids had a little more understanding of what the Bible actually says.
If a person fully understood what the Bible says, they would no longer be Christian. Once someone has thoroughly studied the Bible and seen the multitudes of inconsistencies, contradictions, bigotry and mythology that it contains - it would be difficult to continue to blindly accept it as "truth".

SylviaB

Just Bee Yourself 🐝
HSC
I was willing to let his clear fundamentalism slide in light of him being against Ets and generally being against sending Australia bankrupt, but this just seems too far. I'm voting liberal democratic party.

Lentern

HSC
I was willing to let his clear fundamentalism slide in light of him being against Ets and generally being against sending Australia bankrupt, but this just seems too far. I'm voting liberal democratic party.
I'm sure he lives in great fear of the LDP unseating him.

0bs3n3

HSC
If a person fully understood what the Bible says, they would no longer be Christian. Once someone has thoroughly studied the Bible and seen the multitudes of inconsistencies, contradictions, bigotry and mythology that it contains - it would be difficult to continue to blindly accept it as "truth".
If you actually believe that then why (presumably, sorry, didn't read your opinion on this because I'm too lazy) do you oppose them teaching it schools?

Ethanescence

HSC
N/A
If you actually believe that then why (presumably, sorry, didn't read your opinion on this because I'm too lazy) do you oppose them teaching it schools?
I don't oppose teaching the Bible in schools, per se. However, if the Bible becomes part of the compulsory curriculum then there should be an entire subject where you learn about all the other major/minor holy texts also, such as the Quran and the Vedas, etc.

It is biased to only teach the Bible in schools. You either teach a selection of other holy texts also, or you don't teach any holy text at all. And the latter is a better situation as children are more focused on understanding the basics of numeracy and literacy, instead of trying to grasp nonsensical concepts such as religion.

Freedom_

Banned
HSC
N/A
The root of this proposal is to coerce the mass of the population into a mold desired by the establishment...well Abbott's dream state. Recalcitrant religious minorities under such a scheme proposed by Tony Abbott will be forced into a majority mold; all citizens will be inculcated in the civic virtues of Christianity, this will then notably increase obedience of the people to the State apparatus.

Fuck that.

Got2Kno91

HSC
The root of this proposal is to coerce the mass of the population into a mold desired by the establishment...well Abbott's dream state. Recalcitrant religious minorities under such a scheme proposed by Tony Abbott will be forced into a majority mold; all citizens will be inculcated in the civic virtues of Christianity, this will then notably increase obedience of the people to the State apparatus.

Fuck that.
You can see how it's a move to marginalise minorities and re-inforce his Christian Nation ideological wet dream. It's a hack at multiculturalism, and it's a hack at secular Australia. Reminds me of Menzies...

Ethanescence

HSC
N/A
Also, you have to consider how the Bible will be "taught" or "read".

Will students be encouraged to develop their own perspective or understanding of the text (which could be a negative/positive interpretation of its contents), or will the Bible be taught as "fact" and "truth" with no room for students to interpret the Bible as a partly fictitious text?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)