Abbott thinks reading the Bible should be compulsory in schools (1 Viewer)

SylviaB

Just Bee Yourself 🐝
HSC
I'm sure he lives in great fear of the LDP unseating him.

Oh don't worry, i realise the futility in voting for them as much as the next guy, but liberals were always my lesser of two evils vote. Now that's not even an option.

SnowFox

Premium Member
HSC
Also, you have to consider how the Bible will be "taught" or "read".

Will students be encouraged to develop their own perspective or understanding of the text (which could be a negative/positive interpretation of its contents), or will the Bible be taught as "fact" and "truth" with no room for students to interpret the Bible as a partly fictitious text?
Well atleast it isnt the Qua ran.

Will Shakespear

mumbo magic
HSC
"The God of the Old Testament is arguably the most unpleasant character in all fiction: jealous and proud of it; a petty, unjust, unforgiving control-freak; a vindictive, bloodthirsty ethnic cleanser; a misogynistic, homophobic, racist, infanticidal, genocidal, filicidal, pestilential, megalomaniacal, sadomasochistic, capriciously malevolent bully."

And that's something we want exposed to our children? It's vile.
The author of that quote firmly agrees that you need to know abou the Bible to understand much of western history and culture, particularly art and literature. So there's some value to knowing about the Bible, at least so you can understand those things better... e.g. much of Shakespeare loses meaning if you don't get the many biblical references.

So in some ways he might have a point and most ppl itt are being a bit hysterical.

Anyway, if I had to do Bible readings with a group of kids as a teacher, I'd pick the following readings for study in the first week:

Genesis 19:30-38

Genesis 19:30-38 - PassageLookup - New International Version - BibleGateway.com

2 Kings 2:23-24
2 Kings 2:23-24 - PassageLookup - Contemporary English Version - BibleGateway.com

Ezekial 4:1-15
Ezekial 4:1-15 - PassageLookup - Contemporary English Version - BibleGateway.com

The class discussions on them would be interesting. Then in the 2nd week we could get started on all the genocides.

Seriously though, kids think the bible is a boring old book full of feel-good moral stories and teaching about how to behave, written in inacessible old fashioned language.

The best way to break the mystery and show how ridiculous, archaic and man-made it all is, is to actually show them the weird shit in there.

Probably not what Abbott has in mind, though.

Slidey

But pieces of what?
HSC
What the hell are you? I thought you were on the right.
Does you brain simply explode at the thought that one can be economically conservative without being a socially conservative religious nutjob? :eek:

Here's a tip for you mate: do a Google search for 'libertarian'.

Riet

Tomcat Pilot
HSC
Freedom is the right of all sentient beings, religious people surrender that right.

Planck

Banned
HSC
N/A
Freedom is the RIGHT OF ALL

sentient beings

FREEDOM

Libertarians forever

Iron

Ecclesiastical Die-Hard
HSC
Meh. Our parents have just robbed us of the tradition and culture that their parents and their parents and their parents and their parents and their parents... so carefully and generously ensured that they received. It was ok for our parents to drift thru life on the same course of truth in which they were launched (while rejecting the ultimate destination), but the lifeboats theyve set off have been set to drift in a harsh ocean, scattered and alone, left to discover God on their own despite the strong and ruinous currents and waves that batter them from all sides

Omie Jay

gone
HSC
kids should be taught about all religions, and about the theory of evolution, then they should make up their own mind about what they wanna follow.

just like how in years 7-10 they study languages and history and geography and maths and science, then in yr 11 and 12 they decide what field they wanna go into.

SashatheMan

StudyforEver
HSC
N/A
I think comparative religious studying are a great thing. But i don't think that is what Abott was suggesting.

jb_nc

Google "9-11" and "truth"
HSC
N/A
kids should be taught about all religions, and about the theory of evolution, then they should make up their own mind about what they wanna follow.

just like how in years 7-10 they study languages and history and geography and maths and science, then in yr 11 and 12 they decide what field they wanna go into.
this is a stupid post

Riet

Tomcat Pilot
HSC

Its not evolution vs religion bra, it's evolution vs (page intentionally left blank).

Fluorescent

Banned
HSC
I never quite understood why religious people feel they need to force religion on people
Likewise with athiests

Your beliefs are personal thing and a religious person practically forced into religion is not exactly genuine

why should anyone be taught about religion.
Why not? Why is everyone so threatened by religion if it's such bullshit, honestly?
People should have the right to know - they should also have the right to choose to accept/reject it

philphie

Banned
HSC
I never quite understood why religious people feel they need to force religion on people
Likewise with athiests

Your beliefs are personal thing and a religious person practically forced into religion is not exactly genuine
because religious people think they're saving people by forcing their beliefs on others so they can become adherents of their religion.

atheists jsut think they're better than everyone else.

i'm agnostic, so i'm on middleground

Fluorescent

Banned
HSC
because religious people think they're saving people by forcing their beliefs on others so they can become adherents of their religion.

atheists jsut think they're better than everyone else.

i'm agnostic, so i'm on middleground
I like this analysis its quite accurate

SeCKSiiMiNh

i'm a fireball in bed
HSC
People should have the right to know - they should also have the right to choose to accept/reject it
^That.

This right exists with or without this Abbott thing. Hence, this forcible reading of the bible is a complete waste of time imo. It should be left entirely up to an individual whether or not they wish to pursue a certain religion or faith.

Now.. in the unlikely chance that this rule gets implemented, what would happen to those students who objects this rule? How would that be controlled or regulated?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)