Abbott thinks reading the Bible should be compulsory in schools (2 Viewers)

Macdaddy.

Banned
HSC
Because you're simply *forcing* them to read it.

^Am I not saying this right?

If other religions and faiths (islam, athiesm etc) were included and were taught equally to a student, then students will be able to make an informed decision about which faith they would like to pursue.
But it's not as if you're forced to subscribe to a religion as soon as you finish reading its religious text. There's no need to 'choose', as you put it.

Will Shakespear

mumbo magic
HSC
Because you're simply *forcing* them to read it.

^Am I not saying this right?

If other religions and faiths (islam, athiesm etc) were included and were taught equally to a student, then students will be able to make an informed decision about which faith they would like to pursue.
lol, atheism is a faith now is it?

like iron said, we've been robbed of all the history & culture you get from knowing about the bible

plus kids like yourself seem to think the bible is some mysterious old book full of good morals and old-fashioned rules, and just looking at it will make u a devout christian somehow?

the only way to let them see how ridiculous and man-made it all is, is by letting them read it... like the 3 sections i put up earlier

you can't do the same thing with the koran because people will blow u up.

SeCKSiiMiNh

i'm a fireball in bed
HSC
lol, atheism is a faith now is it?.

Well, I don't think I would be wrong to say that atheism is a belief. And

like iron said, we've been robbed of all the history & culture you get from knowing about the bible
I do not think that the bible would be a *reliable* source for one to learn history from.

plus kids like yourself seem to think the bible is some mysterious old book full of good morals and old-fashioned rules, and just looking at it will make u a devout christian somehow?
Good morals? I highly think not!

All I think is that if reading of the bible was to be made compulsory in schools, then students must be given a chance to learn of other religions as well.

you can't do the same thing with the koran because people will blow u up
Well I'm scared of christians putting me to death for being a homosexual!

SeCKSiiMiNh

i'm a fireball in bed
HSC
Actually, a lot of what the Bible says about history is validated in other writings (not necessarily Christian sources either).
Like what exactly? The appearance of giants? Or how the sun was made to "stand still". (though I think it was proved by nicholas copernicus that the sun always stood still. Wasn't he persecuted by the church for this?). Oh, I'm sure there's also a scientific evidence and countless eye witness accounts of a river turning into blood and the red sea being suspended telekinetically in midair by moses!

philphie

Banned
HSC
Like what exactly? The appearance of giants? Or how the sun was made to "stand still". (though I think it was proved by nicholas copernicus that the sun always stood still. Wasn't he persecuted by the church for this?). Oh, I'm sure there's also a scientific evidence and countless eye witness accounts of a river turning into blood and the red sea being suspended telekinetically in midair by moses!
you know there are a lot of important scientists who were clergymen, and it wasn't Copernicus who was persecuted, it was Galileo who faced criticism, Pope Clement VII was actually a strong supporter of Copernicus' theories.

if you're going to be a good atheist at least know your scientific history seeing how science is what you fundamentally base your beliefs on

0bs3n3

HSC
I did say history now didn't I? Wasn't talking about science you twat. Those parts of the Bible are obviously allegory.

Oh and the Bible even says that the World is suspended in space and is spherical, so don't try and pull that card.

Last edited:

Slidey

But pieces of what?
HSC
Actually, a lot of what the Bible says about history is validated in other writings (not necessarily Christian sources either).
And a lot of what it says is not.

We could probably do better with a simple coin toss.

Ethanescence

HSC
N/A
Oh and the Bible even says that the World is suspended in space and is spherical, so don't try and pull that card.
Isaiah 40:22 (New International Version)

22 He sits enthroned above the circle of the earth...

Actually, it says the Earth is a circle. If they wanted to say sphere, the authors would have used the equivalent term in their language. Circle is not the same as sphere.

if you're going to be a good atheist at least know your scientific history seeing how science is what you fundamentally base your beliefs on
As an atheist, I base my beliefs on reality. Therefore I lack belief in concepts that are nonsensical, such as the existence of unicorns, or the existence of an omnipotent deity that divinely inspired a 2,000 year old book. Science does not need to be involved, only common sense.

Last edited:

SeCKSiiMiNh

i'm a fireball in bed
HSC
I did say history now didn't I? Wasn't talking about science you twat. Those parts of the Bible are obviously allegory.

Well the bible did specifically mention that giants did once exist. I understand that you did not mean science, but those "occurences" where mentioned in the bible! You say that alot of what was written in the bible is validated in other writings. What writing is it do you speak of?

0bs3n3

HSC
Well the bible did specifically mention that giants did once exist. I understand that you did not mean science, but those "occurences" where mentioned in the bible! You say that alot of what was written in the bible is validated in other writings. What writing is it do you speak of?
Lol, and giants did, in the form of dinosaurs. Dispute they existed?

For historicity visit this: The Christ Files | thechristfiles.com.au

Can't be bothered writing it at the moment.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)