Accelerated math predicament (1 Viewer)

dionb2014

HSC
Hey BoSers,

I have a predicament when it comes to accelerated math. I have just completed year 9 and have completed both the year 9 and 10 curriculum in mathematics but I am moving schools next year. I have looked on my current schools booklist and my class will be getting 3 unit Cambridge prelim textbook. I look at my new schools booklist and their highest class still only gets stage 5 year 10 5.2-5.3 textbook. Really it would be so frustrating to have done the math and have it wasted. I also have an email from my current math teacher saying that I am getting an A in terms of year 10 not just year 9 and that I am a good math student and whatever just verifying that I have actually completed year 10.

Thanks for your advice guys

nazfiz

HSC
Don't move schools. Having 3 unit maths out of the way in yr 11 gives you time to focus on other subjects in yr 12. This will put you at a massive advantage and will in the long run, maximize your ATAR.

dionb2014

HSC
But I feel like if worst comes to worst the sacrifice is kind of worth it. I'm moving from a rank 70ish school to a school ranking in the 20's. As a competitive person I believe I will work harder if people around me are doing better.

dionb2014

HSC
I know unlikely but I will ask anyway. Is there ANY possibility at all that they would put me into a year 11 class just for math and I could stay after school or whatever to make up the hours and I could work around them to do everything in terms of lines and what not.

bleakarcher

HSC
go on ur own dude, there are plenty of online resources such as this site that can help u accelerate in mx1

LoveHateSchool

Retired Sept '14
HSC
Uni Grad
You seem self motivated, and I know from my perspective I don't see a massive point/difference between 50 ranks up the top end-both excellent schools. Wouldn't it be better to keep accelerating at your current school and getting some units done early?

dionb2014

HSC
You think I could learn it without a teacher. I could get a tutor to come a couple of times a week or something though?

Aquawhite

Retiring
HSC
Uni Grad
Accelerating maths on your own is always an option, which is very viable for most.

dionb2014

HSC
is it possible for me to accelerate again next year. finish year 11 and 12 3 unit in year 10?

dionb2014

HSC
I really don't understand that. The kids that have the best shot at bringing up the school's rank are being asked not to succeed.

Pfortune35

HSC
alot of shits being said thats just plain wrong,
anyways you're talking about trying to finish the 3u course in yr 10
Litterally you have no idea how hard it is.

my yr 10 accelerated maths class just finished the prelim course and most of the kids in it who got 92-95 in school cert (one year early)
are barely passing most of their tests if that.
Just take it easy in yr 9 and give a good go at prelim 2u + 3u in yr 10.
If you decide to change schools, chill another year and really try in yr 11
THe 3u is very challanging and if you're gonna learn it at school anyway what's the point of taking up some expensive
self acceleration in which you won't get half the course anyway

dionb2014

HSC
Look. I am going into year 10 next year. I have just completed the school cert. and year 10 course. I will definitely one way or another be doing at least prelim 3 unit next year. Next year is when I am moving schools. I really think you should understand that I'm actually dedicated and that I am actually intelligent.
I think I'll manage

zombies

HSC
Ultimately you just have to ask the school personally about it, it's their decision whether they will let you or not.

Pfortune35

HSC
Look. I am going into year 10 next year. I have just completed the school cert. and year 10 course. I will definitely one way or another be doing at least prelim 3 unit next year. Next year is when I am moving schools. I really think you should understand that I'm actually dedicated and that I am actually intelligent.
I think I'll manage
yeh got confused about what year you were in
but I woundn't recommend trying to self accelerate, it just a waste of money,
you won't fully understand the course without a teacher and will forget half the course by the time you need it anyway.

dionb2014

HSC
I really don't see why my new school wouldn't want to extend me as well. It would be beneficial to them.

Pfortune35

HSC
tutoring is meant to complement and reinforce the content learn from your teacher.
getting tutoring to replace your teacher is not a good idea beacause tutors arnt trained to teach the course in a consistant and complete manner, their training (if they have any) is to reinforce student knowledge and 'tie up the loose ends' in their understanding.

If you are REALLY interested in accelerating check out Terry lee's coaching school
apparently its more like school than tutoring though

http://www.hsccoaching.com/

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)