Accelerated math predicament (1 Viewer)

dionb2014

HSC
I reiterate, Am I not an asset to the school. Shouldn't they be seeking to extend me as far as I can possibly go?

sick_kent

HSC
I really don't see why my new school wouldn't want to extend me as well. It would be beneficial to them.
maybe they just don't have the teachers available, or other HR factors.
Also I don't know if it will be worth it for them if they have one accelerated student.
Do they even run an accelerated program at your new school?

dionb2014

HSC
They do accelerate through year 10 rather than year nine. They cover the 3 unit year 11 course and the year 10 course all in the same year.

sick_kent

HSC
They do accelerate through year 10 rather than year nine. They cover the 3 unit year 11 course and the year 10 course all in the same year.
do that then? why are you in a predicament.

Consolidate year 10 concepts, and shred tests. then learn the prelim EXT1

dionb2014

HSC
But it feels pointless. Like I'm wasting valuable time. I want to get as far ahead as I can so that when I'm in year 12 I guarantee 99.95. I am already casually covering prelim economics and English really is not an issue to me as I am already doing well above my grade level. All that is left is chemistry.

bleakarcher

HSC
yeh got confused about what year you were in
but I woundn't recommend trying to self accelerate, it just a waste of money,
you won't fully understand the course without a teacher and will forget half the course by the time you need it anyway.

I object! In time, with dedication and effort, he can accelerate so that in year 11/12, when the knowlegde is needed, he can acknowledge it much more easily assuming he revises 3 unit maths consistently. It will definitely give him an advantage over his cohort in not only maths but also over all his other subjects. I began my acceleration about a year and a half ago (I am in year 10 now) with 2 unit maths so that now I have covered 4 4 unit topics and still going. Dion, I advise you accelerate, it will only help you.

Last edited:

sick_kent

HSC
But it feels pointless. Like I'm wasting valuable time. I want to get as far ahead as I can so that when I'm in year 12 I guarantee 99.95. I am already casually covering prelim economics and English really is not an issue to me as I am already doing well above my grade level. All that is left is chemistry.
are you not in year 9?
also, have you already decided what subjects you are doing in HSC and Prelim?
look mate,
I see you're dedicated, so good stuff.
Don't get cocky and try to go too fast, you have bang on three years, so don't fuck it up.
Also, maybe try to get help from your teachers at school for any thing that you have taught yourself but don't understand.

How are you wasting time if you're learning the Prelim 3U in class??

zombies

HSC
I reiterate, Am I not an asset to the school. Shouldn't they be seeking to extend me as far as I can possibly go?
The school can't cater for one student, they need to consider all the students in their school as a whole, and what would be most beneficial for all their students. They can't just give you special treatment.

Complaining or arguing about it here on this forum of all places won't really help - like, I said, you need to actually talk to the school yourself and see what they can do for you. No one here can help you.

LoveHateSchool

Retired Sept '14
HSC
Uni Grad
Well your school is still accelerating you then, and you can look ahead in your own time.

^If you are only in Yr 10 (really random Q), why do you have those emoticon faces for your yr 12 subjects lol?

bleakarcher

HSC
Btw, tutoring isnt necessary. As I recall saying before, all the resources you need you can find on this site. Get some textbooks from your local library or maths faculty as well.

dionb2014

HSC
I am wasting time because the term to semester is dedicated to doing year 10 work which I will of course be making sure I am 100% on over the summer holidays. I have not signed a paper saying what subjects I will definitely be doing but for year 12 I am pretty happy with what subjects I will do.

sick_kent

HSC
The school can't cater for one student, they need to consider all the students in their school as a whole, and what would be most beneficial for all their students. They can't just give you special treatment.

Complaining or arguing about it here on this forum of all places won't really help - like, I said, you need to actually talk to the school yourself and see what they can do for you. No one here can help you.
definantly agree with this ^^

Well your school is still accelerating you then, and you can look ahead in your own time.

^If you are only in Yr 10 (really random Q), why do you have those emoticon faces for your yr 12 subjects lol?
I was thinking that too ^

zombies

HSC
I am wasting time because the term to semester is dedicated to doing year 10 work which I will of course be making sure I am 100% on over the summer holidays. I have not signed a paper saying what subjects I will definitely be doing but for year 12 I am pretty happy with what subjects I will do.
Yes, you may be wasting time but thats just how life works~ You can't get your own way all the time. You just have to suck it up and deal with it. If you do end up in a year 10 class, consider talking to the teacher and see if you can just do independent study while the rest of the class learns the year 10 stuff..

dionb2014

HSC
i want to do ext 2 eng, ext 2 math, economics and chemistry for year 12 but I'm not too sure for year 11 yet. Ironic the order.

dionb2014

HSC
^^ I know I can't always get what I want but when it comes to my education, I will make sure that I do get my way.

bleakarcher

HSC
Also dionb2014, do not be frightened by the one who told you of those people in his mx1 who are on the edge of failing as compared to their junior years where they were acing maths. I was told this also last year and absolutely shit myself. It does not apply to everyone.

zombies

HSC
^^ I know I can't always get what I want but when it comes to my education, I will make sure that I do get my way.
Good luck with that, but schools aren't there to cater to your every request, seriously.

sick_kent

HSC
Don't take your signature quote too literally mate

Also dionb2014, do not be frightened by the one who told you of those people in his mx1 who are on the edge of failing as compared to their junior years where they were acing maths. I was told this also last year and absolutely shit myself. It does not apply to everyone.
And I'm sorry, but have you even started doing the 3U prelim course (like had assessments)? i thought you were a year 10 accelerating himself?
The prelim course is fucking hard so don't go into it arrogantly otherwise it'll spit you back out the other side a with an fail and a broken self-esteem.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)