Accounting Cadetship 2008 (1 Viewer)

Vagabond

Machine
HSC
I'm doing that next semester with qmb and acct2b :p

Are yours over the web? Do they even count towards wam?

Only1United

HSC
I recently saw an advertisement for the Ernst & Young cadetship program on facebook...so id recommend anyone interested to maybe look that up to get more information

mark678

HSC
Hey,
Seriously most of you guys who are thinking of doing a cadetship will do the Bachelor of Commerce/ Business.
Im really struggling to decide what preference will be best for doing a major in Accounting for the cadetship.

What do you recon is best for Commerce/Business -Accounting

*UNSW * USYD (can you do p'time at night?) * UTS * MAQUARIE
UWS???

I think 1st UNSW, 2nd UTS, 3rd MAq

Any opinions :apig: :karate:

Vagabond

Machine
HSC
UTS is the easier choice due to location and course difficulty

Some people perceive UNSW to be a better (group of 8) university however...

Subjective ultimately and the latter point obviously won't make a difference if you remain with your cadetship-firm as a graduate

IceRealm

HSC
Hi guys,

Just wondering how important are referees in terms of applying for a cadetship? I'm in 1st year uni applying for the EY university to work program, but I don't have anyone to put down as my references. All I have is a written reference from school that I got when I graduated from yr12.

shoxgeneration

*pamplemousse
HSC
is this for the end of ur resume? if i was you, i would put 'referees available upon request' - most of the time, they don't request it.

but perhaps, don't you have like a previous employer? or university tutor or anything?

IceRealm

HSC
Yeah I've seen lots of resumes with "referees available upon request" but if they really do request refs, I'd be screwed. Would it be awkward to ask a uni tutor to be a referee? Is it common to ask ex-school teachers/careers advisers to be referees instead?

shoxgeneration

*pamplemousse
HSC
not if you have a pretty good relationship with the tutor, not awkward at all! it happens all the time.

your ex-careers advisor would suffice also, if they remember you :)

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
Vagabond said:
UTS is the easier choice due to location and course difficulty

Some people perceive UNSW to be a better (group of 8) university however...

Subjective ultimately and the latter point obviously won't make a difference if you remain with your cadetship-firm as a graduate
Just for those who are interested, if you are working in city and study at UNSW, you'll need to walk to Elizabeth St to catch a bus. If you happen to be on Sussex St or thereabouts (e.g. PwC, KPMG, BDO, etc..), it's quite a hike to get up to Elizabeth St (when I say up, I mean uphill) especially with a laptop bag and all.

That being said, I drive to UNSW and make use of the after hours permit :)

bukwow

I am a Banana
HSC
or you could catch the train to central and get the bus from there? (saves alot of walking time).

to go to macq you just need to catch a bus on the corner of clarence and margaret street, thank god its just right outside my building. i would say the bus is much better now since they made a bus lane on epping road..

mark678

HSC
So generally speaking how long would it take to get from an accounting firm in the City (KPMG, PWC, EY) etc. if you were doing a cadetship and you had to take a bus to UNSW to attend a night lesson ???

It generally seems if you want to do a cadetship UTS seems to be best because it is in a good location/good business course but UNSW has more prestigious status?

Any opinions on this?

shoxgeneration

*pamplemousse
HSC
i agree, haha. but i may be biased since i attend unsw.

basically, it would take around 45minutes in peak hour traffic to get from a firm to the city, +/- extra 10mins - this is for UNSW. it's not too bad.

Vagabond

Machine
HSC
Rarely takes more than 30 mins

Even quicker at night on the way back

Not a big deal really

I wouldn't give up UNSW for some petty convenience!

shoxgeneration

*pamplemousse
HSC
really, it takes you only 30 minutes?! is this from around wynyard/town hall? Cos walking to elizabeth street at around 5pm is awful as the traffic is fully blocked once you do get on a bus :S

True, on the way home it is much faster.

Vagabond

Machine
HSC
Most of my clients seem to be around martin place which is very convenient..

If i'm at pwc office then i guess its another 5-10mins for me to walk to the bus stop

Still doesn't bother me really as I often read notes on the bus !

shoxgeneration

*pamplemousse
HSC
hey me too? lol. at least there's the pwc bus which drops you off at martin place too from the office.

scashby

HSC
hi there,

im really interested in applying for a cadetship for 2009, im in melbourne and would be looking at applying for a big4.

im a bit concerned about the amount of work you have to do, ive heard reports from some people who know some people who do these cadethsips and they hate the workload - long hours, shit pay and uni on top leaves them no room for a social life or a bit of fun.

if anyone has done a cadetship or is doing it now, preferabley at a big 4, is this true, and what have been your experiences?

this forums great, its really giving me an insight for next year

leoyh

mic`
HSC
i think when u consider the time it takes to get to uni for your night classes, you should take into the account the fact that you may not always be in the city or near the office when u begin to travel.

you could be working on a client out in the west, like in Ryde for instance, so getting to uni could be a bitch in general.

That's why i advise you dont pick a uni close to where u work just for the convenience.

If u work in lets say audit, hell you probably won't be in the office that much to enjoy that convenience. On the other hand, tax is a different matter altogether.

mark678

HSC
So,
you guys when you get a cadetship you go to clients for work or do you stay in the office doing bookeeping/photocopying??

I really want to get a cadetship for next year (HSC 2008) - i would like to work for big 4 but any cadetship would be ok. did you guys send your resume to all the Accounting firms or did were you very selective in where you wanted to work?>?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)