• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Accounting Cadetship Night - 21st of May, THIS THURSDAY! (1 Viewer)

memento

HSC
hi everyone, i'm new to this forum.

i didn't have a chance to go to the cadetship night, stucked in the middle of nowhere. Could anyone be so kind and list the mid-tier firms that were present on thursday???
I personally prefer mid-tiers and the relative flexibility their arrangements offer.

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
hi everyone, i'm new to this forum.

i didn't have a chance to go to the cadetship night, stucked in the middle of nowhere. Could anyone be so kind and list the mid-tier firms that were present on thursday???
I personally prefer mid-tiers and the relative flexibility their arrangements offer.
there u go:

1. Accru
  2. Boroughs
  3. Boyce
  4. Duncan Dovico
  5. Einfeld syomnds vince
  6. Hall chadwick
  7. lawler
  8. nexia court & co
  9. propsperity advisers
  10. Walker wayland
  11. Weston woodley robertson

they are just middle mid-tiers...

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
oh, and that name tag thingy from PwC is really cool :)
LOL I thought it was pretty useful having a nice baggage tag you can put a business card in without it being obvious who's bag it was.. it's also pretty effective IMO since you can put it on your bag, forget about it because it's so subtle, and then one day in the future you notice it and remember where you got it from.

But apart from this, my favourite was the ICAA rubiks cube. It's an official licensed product surprisingly!

that happened to me too. my friend and i were talking to a rep from F&H and then this girl butts in and takes the rep's attention. my and friend i were looking at other going 'what the hell?' some poeple are so rude...
For what it's worth, we do notice these things. I tried to involve a large group of people into all my conversations to reduce the focus/attention on a single person (or parent...) :)

All in all it was an awesome night. Food was pretty good too and I got to see alot of people from my peer support grade lols.

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
I have myself considered that issue. However, as I already mentioned, I did spend nearly 15 minutes each for rep from each big 4. They have highlighted the flexibility of their programs and etc. I have not just talked to recruiters but also to each cadet as well. My friends were worried that they will not be able to have their usual party days but those cadets were excellent in clarifying such issues.

Whether Big 4 is overrated or not, they seem to be my places. There is absolutely no denying that BIG 4 provide more opportunities for travelling, expansion, more variety in terms of employment type, promotion, benefits and etc.

I think this feeling of confinement comes from being in a small private environment. I have been too stuck in my small private school that I really want to expand into the largest firm if it is possible. I always felt that I couldn't expand further beyond the opportunities they provided me.

Besides programs from Big 4 and mid-tier firms are essentially same if not very similar. Then why not go for a big one?

You are right btw, Uni is like 2 HSCs, even from my own experience with Cosmology. But so what? HSC isn't hard. 2 HSCs is certainly not hard with nearly 4 months holiday and less attendance measure. I am juggling between my uni and HSC study too this year and I am doing fine. I reckon part time uni would be 1 HSC maybe if not less. In addition to that, I wouldn't mind busy life because that's what I always have anyway.

As Seremify said, Cadetship is a FULL employment regardless of where you go. If you think mid-tier is more lenient and requires less participation, think again. I can bet that it's basically same wherever you go.

I personally reckon you can still enjoy Uni life, freedom and youth to the maximum if you juggle both work and study appropriatlely. You might even feel more satisfied and accomplished if you do succeed in both. 2 years of juggling is all it takes...
LOL thanks for the quote.

What you guys all raise are very valid points- some people thrive under the pressure and challenge of the balancing act and end up becoming much better people as a result, whilst others find it incredibly difficult and burn out. I told a few people on the night it's all about finding the right and comfortable balance.

I'm not a very academic person, but I managed to maintain decent grades throughout this process and my simple discplined strategy was:

1. Work hard Monday to Friday, and always go to uni classes/tutorials. That way even if you end up missing the homework (which you shouldn't!), absorbing even a small amount of content from lectures will help you later on in the exams, and at least you'll get CP marks. The other benefit is that you get to focus on your career/work development during the week without worrying about missing out on your uni homework. (CP = class participation/attendance marks)

2. Enjoy Friday nights and Saturdays. No ifs or buts.

3. Every Sunday, go to gym in morning and do uni homework in the arvo.

This simple disciplined approach sounds a bit boring, but I kept everything very well balanced and never felt stressed by it all. If you think that the above plan sounds reasonable/achievable for you, then I don't think a cadetship will be too stressful.

Also keep in mind that;
a) Some firms (including some of the Big4) offer 7.5hrs leave per week which means you only need to work FOUR days (since 1 day = 7.5hrs)! This is better than when I did the cadetship and only got 4hrs a week which was more than enough.
b) As a cadet doing part time study, that's 2 subjects a semester NOT 4. Each subject only requires 3 hours attendance at uni; and classes can be morning, noon or night. You have 2 exams, usually first year subjects (remember? It's the first year which gets stretched out), and you get 6 days or so (depending on firm) per semester which you can take off in addition to your 7.5hrs per week. Definitely more than enough especially if you did the above plan of regularly doing homework which means you can use one of those study days as an extra holiday after the exams :)
c) Opportunity cost/alternatives- if you weren't doing a cadetship, would you be working part time/casually somewhere and be called on at irregular and inconvenient times anyway? Might as well get a good routine going, with some good experience and open up extra opportunities.

Anyway that's just my 2c on how I coped with everything. Not everyone does it the way I did, but it worked for me. Hope this helps you guys figure out if you think it's do-able.

(EDIT: Forgot to mention in response to the person saying the cadets on the night talked about attending uni at night and being tired- keep in mind that most of us were on the original program which only gave us 4hours off per week which meant we left work at 2 or 3pm twice a week to attend evening classes. With 7.5hrs off, you get a whole day off which means you can attend normal classes during daylight hours... or you can be flex and spread the leave over multiple days)

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
Oh I forgot to ask them one very last question...

I am aware of the fact that most programs are like this:
1st 2 years = full-time work + part time uni (where there is much more flexibility within full-time work to cater for your academic needs)

and 2nd 2 years = full-time uni...during this particular period, do you ever work? I was surprised that you still get benefits while attending uni full time...

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
Oh I forgot to ask them one very last question...

I am aware of the fact that most programs are like this:
1st 2 years = full-time work + part time uni (where there is much more flexibility within full-time work to cater for your academic needs)

and 2nd 2 years = full-time uni...during this particular period, do you ever work? I was surprised that you still get benefits while attending uni full time...
Some firms require or ask that you work during your summer holidays but they will usually be very flexible regarding exactly when this period is. Typically it is during the same time as when the interns/vaccies come on. The hours you work during this period are also usually paid at the vacationer/casual rate.

What you may also find is some cadets want to continue working even when they are full time uni even if only for a couple of days a week- this is a different and separate arrangement negotiated on an individual basis. Not all firms offer this.

Finally, you still get some benefits in the form of monetary study grants because after spending so much time/money getting you trained up to near-senior level, the firm wants you to come back. Therefore by offering you benefits, you become bonded to the firm (i.e. for every month you accept the grant/benefits, you are required to work for the same amount of time after graduating).

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
Some firms require or ask that you work during your summer holidays but they will usually be very flexible regarding exactly when this period is. Typically it is during the same time as when the interns/vaccies come on. The hours you work during this period are also usually paid at the vacationer/casual rate.

What you may also find is some cadets want to continue working even when they are full time uni even if only for a couple of days a week- this is a different and separate arrangement negotiated on an individual basis. Not all firms offer this.

Finally, you still get some benefits in the form of monetary study grants because after spending so much time/money getting you trained up to near-senior level, the firm wants you to come back. Therefore by offering you benefits, you become bonded to the firm (i.e. for every month you accept the grant/benefits, you are required to work for the same amount of time after graduating).
very nice, thanks!!! =)

memento

HSC
there u go:

1. Accru
  2. Boroughs
  3. Boyce
  4. Duncan Dovico
  5. Einfeld syomnds vince
  6. Hall chadwick
  7. lawler
  8. nexia court & co
  9. propsperity advisers
  10. Walker wayland
  11. Weston woodley robertson
they are just middle mid-tiers...

Thanks a lot, namu. "middle mid-tiers" lol they are exactly what i'm looking for, and i'll also apply to a couple of top mid-tiers like Grant Thornton.

I noticed that some firms can offer very flexible structure, say with Ferrier Hodgson you can work a few days a week and attend uni either full time or part time. But i wasn't sure if any other firm provides this kind of arrangement.

For some reasons I value uni as an important stage of life yet still want some hands-on experience by doing a cadetship, and I might be overwhelmed by the workload from both work and uni if i were to be a full time cadet, so what i'm after is basically 3 days of uni and 2 days of work, or 2.5 days each, and i dont mind working full time during summer. As Seremify points out, the firm wants their investment back, so if i work 2 or 2.5 days a week and still finish uni in 3 yrs time, it'll probably minimise their investment(in terms of grants/benefits). I wonder if there is a possibility of negotiaing such an arrangement?

Last edited:

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
Thanks a lot, namu. "middle mid-tiers" lol they are exactly what i'm looking for, and i'll also apply to a couple of top mid-tiers like Grant Thornton.

I noticed that some firms can offer very flexible structure, say with Ferrier Hodgson you can work a few days a week and attend uni either full time or part time. But i wasn't sure if any other firm provides this kind of arrangement.

For some reasons I value uni as an important stage of life yet still want some hands-on experience by doing a cadetship, and I might be overwhelmed by the workload from both work and uni if i were to be a full time cadet, so what i'm after is basically 3 days of uni and 2 days of work, or 2.5 days each, and i dont mind working full time during summer. As Seremify points out, the firm wants their investment back, so if i work 2 or 2.5 days a week and still finish uni in 3 yrs time, it'll probably minimise their investment(in terms of grants/benefits). I wonder if there is a possibility of negotiaing such an arrangement?
Hm, have you considered Accounting Co-op? I think it is excellent for you.

memento

HSC
Hm, have you considered Accounting Co-op? I think it is excellent for you.
I'd prefer the working days spread out, i.e. having a constant supply of money on a regular basis.
Doing a Co-op means i might have to do a part time job before the co-op year in a retail or cafe which won't lead me anywhere.

Last edited:

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
I'd prefer the working days spread out, i.e. having a constant supply of money on a regular basis.
Doing a Co-op means i might have to do a part time job before the co-op year in a retail or cafe which won't lead me anywhere.
Um... You get weekly payment.

GUSSSSSSSSSSSSS

HSC
all im hearing about this thing was that namu was some epic cool kid chilling outside xD

GUSSSSSSSSSSSSS

HSC
haha namu is epic cool ^_^ He had heaps of friends around him so he's really popular too =P
HAHA well i didnt go, but just going off wat my friends said ^.^
APPARANTLY namu was just chilling outside.......but also politley introduced himself to my friends xD ......... but still was chilling =P

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad

Whilst some firms are very open to negotiating, you need to keep in mind the risks you run if you try for something like that. A lot of jobs, particularly in Big 4 cadetships, depend on you being there as a full timer to get the benefits. When you have 2 weeks of training, or a client whereby you finish one evening, and then the next day you have something to move onto, etc... if you have to keep breaking it up and come to work at odd hours, then it becomes alot harder for you to get continuity in your development and this could lead to you becoming the odd-job person. That is, in the team whenever someone doesn't finish their work or there is a small (not too challenging) task to do, they will ask you to do it since you aren't able to commit for the more challenging/more time consuming tasks which will take time both to coach you, and time for you to perform as well as do any follow ups to review points from your seniors.

Apologies if the above doesn't make much sense, but basically, whilst firms may be flexible, it could also put you in a tough spot too if you have a very awkward timetable since you will miss out on some good development opportunities which only full time staff would receive. That being said, some experience is still better than none at all.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)