Accounting Cadetships 2009 (1 Viewer)

dood09

Frontier Psychiatrist ☻
HSC
N/A
Welcome fellow students! The time is once again upon us to discuss this years cadetships that will be offered by the Big 4 accounting firms and many mid tier firms aswell. It provides an excellent opportunity for students to combine full time work and study which allows them to gain that extra step needed to succeed in this very competitive enviroment.

If you have any inquiries or questions please feel free to post them in this forum.

As a current cadet i am more then willing to provide any insight or relevent help for anyone interested in applying for a cadetship. I strongly recommend anyone interested in accounting/business to get involved. Please feel free to discuss what cadetships you may be interested in applying for and we can all help eachother to hopefully be successful.

Reach your goals sooner

You can also pm me and I'll get around to everyones questions with reasonable detail.
Good Luck

OliverQ

HSC
hey i got a couple of questions

1. How many cadetships are given out?
As a cadet:
2. What kind work exprience,volunteer work and extra-circular activites did you do?
3. How do you find being a cadet with a full time job and doing uni as well?

khosanman

HSC
You are all too career focoused. Uni days should be about slacking off and smoking weed!

shakky15

HSC
omg theyve got a 2009 thread up already???

if ur in yr 11 please use these holidays to relax lol..... cadetship applications dont open until late may at the earliest lol

MasterPUA

HSC
khosanman said:
You are all too career focoused. Uni days should be about slacking off and smoking weed!
Finally, some good advice on these forums!

Vagabond

Machine
HSC
khosanman said:
You can't possibly say that given the number of threads you've made on these forums asking for careers advice

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
Vagabond said:
You can't possibly say that given the number of threads you've made on these forums asking for careers advice
LOL funnily enough a similar thought went through my mind too.

shakky15 said:
omg theyve got a 2009 thread up already???

if ur in yr 11 please use these holidays to relax lol..... cadetship applications dont open until late may at the earliest lol
Indeed. It's way too early! At most, now might be a good time to try and remember all those things you've done which were beyond what was required of you (i.e. what extra curricular things you've done) and possibly identify areas you could possibly improve (e.g. doing something!) but seriously, enjoy the break. It's your last one for a while!

Cookie182

Individui Superiore
HSC
N/A
Ive just done my first year of accounting at uni so how does this work?? Do they like take you on and you work there part time while finishing your degree? Not sure how this would work for us, considering i do law concurrently.

shakky15

HSC
seremify007 said:

Indeed. It's way too early! At most, now might be a good time to try and remember all those things you've done which were beyond what was required of you (i.e. what extra curricular things you've done) and possibly identify areas you could possibly improve (e.g. doing something!) but seriously, enjoy the break. It's your last one for a while!
+1

after these holidays, the next real break is after your hsc.

which i should be studying for.

but yes, they LOVE extracurricular stuff... because all they bloody ask you at the interview is 'give me a time when you...'. If you just go to school and go home and study and thats ur life ... even if u get 99 UAI.. they wont take you. They want leadership and involvement, which is sort of silly really, i mean, wont the company want people who are committed to the job/company and not other things outside of work?

meh... just do what u have to do i guess and at this stage its:
1 - get involved in something
2 - relax (really enjoy these holidays)

Affinity

HSC
seremify007 said:
He graduated a while ago though...

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
shakky15 said:
meh... just do what u have to do i guess and at this stage its:
1 - get involved in something
2 - relax (really enjoy these holidays)
Being smart in studies doesn't necessarily translate into someone who will work well in all scenarios/situations. Big 4 audit for example is very team-orientated and iniative driven, and in the long run, you will need leadership and teaching ("coaching") skills. Being able to read and memorise the accounting standards and relevant audit methodology will no doubt be helpful but that is something which can be developed over time with experience. The other more important attributes, at least for a junior, cannot.

shakky15

HSC
seremify007 said:
Being smart in studies doesn't necessarily translate into someone who will work well in all scenarios/situations. Big 4 audit for example is very team-orientated and iniative driven, and in the long run, you will need leadership and teaching ("coaching") skills. Being able to read and memorise the accounting standards and relevant audit methodology will no doubt be helpful but that is something which can be developed over time with experience. The other more important attributes, at least for a junior, cannot.
i disagree... getting involved in something now (just for the sake of impressing the interviewers) isnt going to develop much skills etc... whereas after a year at the accounting firm, a person will no doubt gain experience in dealing with people... someone who isnt as study smart will find it difficult to improve their 'smartness' in the same amount of time..

its all a game and i guess you have to play it, so fool them by getting involved in something now

sorry if i sound just a little bit cynical but in the interview it was like they thought u ruled a bloody country and had 50 yrs experience in everything...

dood09

Frontier Psychiatrist ☻
HSC
N/A
shakky15 said:
i disagree... getting involved in something now (just for the sake of impressing the interviewers) isnt going to develop much skills etc... whereas after a year at the accounting firm, a person will no doubt gain experience in dealing with people... someone who isnt as study smart will find it difficult to improve their 'smartness' in the same amount of time..

its all a game and i guess you have to play it, so fool them by getting involved in something now

sorry if i sound just a little bit cynical but in the interview it was like they thought u ruled a bloody country and had 50 yrs experience in everything...
lol, did you not get a cadetship or something?

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
shakky15 said:

Agreed that you shouldn't do something for the sake of impressing the interviewers but that being said, having something on your CV which shows you at least *tried* to do something outside what was required of you (proactiveness) as well as the potential that you learnt something from the experience is definitely worthwhile. Just because you did something for only a short period of time doesn't necessarily discount it's value.

And on a sidenote, interviewers aren't stupid. Just because they smile and nod their head at you whilst you regurgitate a memorised pile of ...., doesn't necessarily mean they believe you. If the partners are able to argue their way through accounting standards and calling bluff from clients whilst raising fees, I find it unlikely they can't get their head around a 17/18 year old high school student's claims.

shakky15

HSC
dood09 said:
lol, did you not get a cadetship or something?
lol... i only applied for the big 3 firms (not deloitte) and got an interview with PwC only.. i assume the others didnt give me an interview coz of the extracurricular bs... but yeh in pwc the questions were all behavioural ones that you sort of needed outside involvement for examples...

so my interview wasnt too bad but still didnt go as well as i would have hoped..

shakky15

HSC
seremify007 said:
Agreed that you shouldn't do something for the sake of impressing the interviewers but that being said, having something on your CV which shows you at least *tried* to do something outside what was required of you (proactiveness) as well as the potential that you learnt something from the experience is definitely worthwhile. Just because you did something for only a short period of time doesn't necessarily discount it's value.

And on a sidenote, interviewers aren't stupid. Just because they smile and nod their head at you whilst you regurgitate a memorised pile of ...., doesn't necessarily mean they believe you. If the partners are able to argue their way through accounting standards and calling bluff from clients whilst raising fees, I find it unlikely they can't get their head around a 17/18 year old high school student's claims.
then the whole concept of the 'interview' is rendered useless...

look at this stage i woud agree to disagree...

i actually have a question for you though - why did u choose to go to UNSW for your bcomm... at the interview it looked like practically all the cadets were doing a UTS degree, probably coz it was close to work.

how did you find travelling to and from UNSW from the city after work?

nipsta

CEO
HSC
Hey Guys. I’m currently in year 11 (technically in year 12 now) and definitely thinking of doing a cadetship.. I've been working on my extra-curricular, Leadership and volunteering activities and this is what I have done so far in the past three years. I heard it was really competitive, so what are my chances of me getting a cadetship with what I’ve done so far?... taking into consideration that applications for cadetship in '10 is ages away and i still have time to do more...um what else...oh, do they take into consideration about any work experience? and if so, should I take on a part time job during year 12?

[FONT=바탕]Leadership Experience:[/FONT]
l [FONT=바탕]School Prefect 2009[/FONT]
l [FONT=바탕]Finance Director for EMPIYA (A Young Achievement Australia Company) 2008[/FONT]
l [FONT=바탕]Member of Student Representative Council (SRC) 2008[/FONT]
l [FONT=바탕]Peer Tutor 2007[/FONT]
l [FONT=바탕]Elected CEO for Australian Business Week 2007[/FONT]
l [FONT=바탕]Peer Mentoring 2007[/FONT]
[FONT=바탕]Volunteer Experience:[/FONT]
l [FONT=바탕]Verity Night Back Stage Crew 2008[/FONT]
l [FONT=바탕]Peer Support [/FONT][FONT=바탕] Scribe 2008[/FONT]
l [FONT=바탕]Food catering for Nationalisation 2008[/FONT]
l [FONT=바탕]Clean up Australia Day 2008[/FONT]
l [FONT=바탕]Forty hour Famine 2006-2007-2008[/FONT]
l [FONT=바탕]Peer Tutoring 2007[/FONT]
l [FONT=바탕]School Fundraising 2007[/FONT]
l [FONT=바탕]Peer Mentoring 2006[/FONT]
[FONT=바탕]Special Achievements and Awards:[/FONT]
[FONT=바탕]2008 NSW Secondary Business Person of the Year Finalist[/FONT]
[FONT=바탕]2008 North Sydney Institute- Outstanding TVET Student 2008 in Accounting Procedures[/FONT]
[FONT=바탕]2008 First in Business Studies[/FONT]
[FONT=바탕]2008 Equal First in Economics[/FONT]
[FONT=바탕]2008 PwC Australian Business Studies Competition - High Distinction and Prize winner[/FONT]
[FONT=바탕]2008 Australian Mathematics Competition - Distinction[/FONT]
[FONT=바탕]2008 Academic Excellence in: English Advanced, Economics and Mathematics[/FONT]
[FONT=바탕]2008 UBS Finance Academy 2008[/FONT]
[FONT=바탕]- Winner of Presentation[/FONT]
[FONT=바탕]2008 North Western Metropolitan High Schools Minor Premiers 2nds Volleyball [/FONT]
[FONT=바탕]2007 Participated in the Australian Business Week and have been awarded:[/FONT]
[FONT=바탕]For being a member of the team showing[/FONT]
[FONT=바탕]- Best video advertisement[/FONT]
[FONT=바탕]- Best Oral Presentation [/FONT]
[FONT=바탕]- Best Trade Display[/FONT]
[FONT=바탕]For being a member of the team who were[/FONT]
[FONT=바탕] - Overall Grand Champions[/FONT]
[FONT=바탕]Awarded: Business Person of the week[/FONT]
[FONT=바탕]2007 Won the Sydney Zone for Premier[/FONT][FONT=바탕]s Debating Challenge[/FONT]
[FONT=바탕]2007 Awarded Certificate of Merit for First in Commerce[/FONT]
[FONT=바탕]2007 Gold Award for Outstanding efforts in 2007[/FONT]
[FONT=바탕]2007 Awarded Certificate of Merit for Peer Tutoring[/FONT]
[FONT=바탕]2006 Year Advisers Award[/FONT]
[FONT=바탕]2006 Certificate of Merit in First in Commerce[/FONT]
[FONT=바탕]2006 Certificate of Merit in Equal First in Graphics[/FONT]
[FONT=바탕]2006 Certificate of Merit for Public Specking Competition[/FONT]
[FONT=바탕]2006 Academic excellence in English, Mathematics 5.3, Commerce, Graphics [/FONT]
[FONT=바탕]2006 Distinction in Australian Mathematics Competition For the Westpac Awards[/FONT]
[FONT=바탕]2006 Distinction in Science UNSW EEA[/FONT]

Are there anything else I may be able to do in the next few months that can enhance my skills which I can show the interviewers during the interviewing process?..thats if I make it
many thanks in advance

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)