Acst101 (1 Viewer)

manutd8

HSC
Hey guys, if you are unsure about finance, is ACST101 (Techniques & Elements of Finance) a good view on how the rest of 'Applied Finance' will be?

Thanks Appreciate it

ascentyx

HSC
lol don't get me started about this unit. this is a terrible indication of what an applied finance or an actuarial degree will be like. it's pretty much just mindlessly subbing numbers into formulaes/drawing timelines/remembering facts. wait until the 2nd year/3rd year of app fin then you will have a more accurate indication of what the degree will be like.

atreus

HSC
The techniques/skills you learn in ACST101 will be used throughout your AppFin degree. The Elements part of the unit is a very brief summary of the rest of the AppFin degree. There are whole units devoted to most of the topics in Elements. So the Elements component is a bit like a taster plate of the rest of the degree (but it is a very bland, basic plate because its just definitions, etc).

I wouldn't call ACST101 an indicator of the rest of the degree. The rest of the units are obviously more interesting, more difficult, focus on specific areas and will build more on the techniques and elements you learn in ACST101.

joben

HSC
hey can this unit be done in the second semester? is it better to do it in the first semester??
EDIT: They said that it's recommended to do in second semester today at enrolment.

Last edited:

sean1990

HSC
It can be done because it's offered and sem 1 this year is full.

I'll be doing it 2nd sem.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)