• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

ADF Gap Year (3 Viewers)

mr_robato

HSC
Hiii guys, i just found this forum. It is very interesting!!

I applied for the Navy Gap year! I have my 'YOU' session on the 21st of July! :eek: not too far away. I am a little bit nervous! Do you know if everyone gets through to this stage? Also, what is the likeliness to get chosen to continue?? I am reaaaally eager to do this and veeery excited about it!! i can't wait!

:)

Good luck for tommorow.

The YOU session itself is dam easy.

Make sure you know your specific job description WELL when you go for that interview with the (probably) Captain ranked officer.

Seeing your a female, I suggest you start getting into shape. I feel most applicants take entry into the Defense Force to be a push over (which it's NOT). Don't take this thing lightly.

Advise for blokes that go gym:

DON'T DRINK THAT PROTEIN SHAKE FOR ATLEAST TWO WEEKS PRIOR TO YOUR PHYSICAL AND MEDICAL EXAMINATION, START DRINKING AND PISSING LOTS IN THAT TWO WEEK PERIOD.

Obvious thought: Why so? To get the protein out of your system so it doesn't show up on your urine test. My mate's urine had traces of protein, he's a gym-er and totally into the body-building thing.

Robato

mggail

HSC
Hey... I got my YOU session in two weeks just wondering if anyone has advice on what to wear? I realise neat and tidy is important for presentation but is like a blouse, tie and black jacket and pants too much?

mr_robato

HSC
Hey... I got my YOU session in two weeks just wondering if anyone has advice on what to wear? I realise neat and tidy is important for presentation but is like a blouse, tie and black jacket and pants too much?

Wear what ever you want. I went wearing my stylish Giordano "6 pocket" pants and a Holden T-shirt.

Only a handful our of the 30 or so people present were wearing the formal stuff.

Chillax, you don't need to "present" yourself in a formal manner until the formal interview.

Just wear those sexy tight jeans babes wear or something. Whatever, it's your choice.

mggail

HSC
haha thanks for the advice, yeah might just go with jeans etc

Dusty09

HSC
Hey,

DFR Called today, "my Case manager" to tell me i have completed the application and she is forwarding my details on to the assessment people.

Apparently i should have an assessment date in the next few days.

mggail

HSC
Thats great, well done! How long has it taken between your YOU session and getting notified about your assesment day?

rizz_31

HSC
Hey guys,

i also applied tothe Gap Year in the Army, already had my You session, which went really well.

I was also lucky enough to be told i made it through to the assesment session which is next week, im extremely nervous as i REALLY want to get into gap year, dont think i could continue onto uni after 12 years of school!

the lady told me that assessment days start on the 27th of July so from then on be expecting to be told about them.

Has anyone who has done the gap year previously got any tips on what to expect at the assessment session?

Good luck guys!

Auraden

HSC
Hey,

I just completed my application for the ADF GAP year program for a Army position as Gun number 2 days ago and i am getting worried that i left it to late =z after i sent it in i got a email saying i have to do a 25minute test online in 7 days this is the aptitute test i think...?
all u guys got this to yea?

If i'm lucky enough to make it through all this i hope to see some of u guys at kapooka =[)

thanks.

Last edited:

Moni11

HSC
HEY, Thanks for the good luck!!

My YOU session went sooo well!! it wasn't as bad as i thought it would be. The tests were easy! The people who worked at the recruitment centre were really helpful and rather funny actually lol! It was awesome as! i ran into a guy who used to go to my school- so that was good as!

I am sending my papers tomorrow! i can't wait to hear back for the Assesment day!! :D :D :D soo excited!!

mr_robato

HSC
HEY, Thanks for the good luck!!

My YOU session went sooo well!! it wasn't as bad as i thought it would be. The tests were easy! The people who worked at the recruitment centre were really helpful and rather funny actually lol! It was awesome as! i ran into a guy who used to go to my school- so that was good as!

I am sending my papers tomorrow! i can't wait to hear back for the Assesment day!! :D :D :D soo excited!!
Ahh awesome, & your welcome.

GAP YEAR APPLICANTS LISTEN UP

Guys and girls:

Make dam sure you know your job role REAL GOOD for that formal interview. My mate passed that (very difficult) combat engineer assessment (this one is seperate fomr the YOU session) just a few months ago. The bloke is big and strong, goes gym and everything, very fit. He stuffed up on two things:

1) He had an idea for what he had applied for (combat engineer), but it turned out they expected detailed shit from him to be sure he's after what he's applied for. The captain said he's letting him off the hook and giving him an extension. Now my mate's dropped the gap year plan and is going for reserve.

2) Because he's a body builder and all, he was (no longer is) a protein-shake drinker. The guy had drink of protein shake the night before, pissed before the exam (not knowing about the revelation that was soon to come). They took his urine sample and found traces of (surprise surprise) protein. SO GET OFF THE PROTEIN.

Girls: get off your asses and start jogging, push-up-ing and sit-up-ing. If the requirement for sit ups is just 30 (just an example, I'm forgetting), make sure you're able to do atleast 50 at home because they might not count some.

Because I feel like scaring the crap out of y'all and bringing yous 'back down to earth and serious about this thing' I'll say the following. Read this good, read it well:

ENTRY IN THE DEFENCE FORCE ISN'T EASY. My mate did his push-ups and sit-ups NAKED. Like all forces around the world, they may check your anus. Welcome to DFR, where quality comes first.

Once more: chillax, it's not a push over.

Robato

Auraden

HSC
MR Rob u tihnk its to late for me im getting really nervous and im really excited at the same time all i do is look at the defencejobs website all day and look at the media im to excited omg the wait is going to kill me i just watch the vids and the more vids i watch the more excited i get.

and thanks for the heads up about the protein because i also go to the gym and drink protein shake i use max's ;)

Last edited:

mr_robato

HSC
MR Rob u tihnk its to late for me im getting really nervous and im really excited at the same time all i do is look at the defencejobs website all day and look at the media im to excited omg the wait is going to kill me i just watch the vids and the more vids i watch the more excited i get.

and thanks for the heads up about the protein because i also go to the gym and drink protein shake i use max's ;)
I applied at exactly this time last year, my mate did it like a week after now last year. He got to the interview and medical/fitness evaluation something like ten months later (that's almost a year). The medical department gronks had apparently lost his medical documents. So he got like three phone calls saying sorry and that. Probably because he has an Arab name and accept :p

To be honest, I don't have an answer for your question unless your aboriginal, then I would have that that you would've been in the first batch after your HSC exams.

Yeah, the multi media on def jobs does a good job :p

Yeah I say you stop the protein shakes ten days prior to the interview+fitness stage (usually done on the same day). Drink lots of water in that protein free period, piss a few times a day and hopefully you'll be fine.

Best of luck dude. I wanna try and get into that graduate sponsorship program, so if you stick around in the ADF I'll be your superior :p

Good luck. Just do that test thingy, you could always wait for the 2011 gap year intake (don't withdraw your application, if it runs deep into 2010, then keep it going, you should be able to get into that 2011 gap year batch).

Study for trials bro :p your fit already so no worry in that department. I for one need to gain 20kg (OF MUSCLE).

Cya (good luck)

Last edited:

Auraden

HSC
Hey guys,
what comes after the aptitude test? and how long does it take to get the reply?

Auraden

HSC
i also saw sumwere on the defencejobs website that if ur under 25 the reqs are 40 push ups, 70 sit ups? lucky i can do the 40 push ups and the 70 sit ups if this is true

Last edited:

rizz_31

HSC
hey man,

after the online aptitude test which is the one i think ur talking about? u will get an e-mail maybe 1-2weeks after telling you the date of your YOU session (don't worry they call u to confirm as well!). The YOU session contains an aptitude test, a quick medical check-up (just colour perception etc) and a short interview discussing your job choices available after your aptitude test results (don't worry, this test is pretty straight forward, just know your basic algebra/trigonometry etc for the maths component and you should be sweet).

After that you'll hopefully (fingers crossed!) get a call to tell u about the assessment day, which is what most people are waiting for now..can't tell u much about it cause i dont do mine till tuesday but i know that there is a full medical, a talk with a psychologist (about how u'll cope with shooting weapons and stuff) and a VERY strenuous interview in which u need to know A LOT about ur preferred job and the defence force in general.

but yeh, good luck mate

by the way, after your YOU session they give you an info. pack, which clearly states that the required fitness for males in the army is 15 push-ups, 45 sit-ups and a 7.5 on the shuttle run (or beep test, whichiver u call it!) but judging by ur fitness it should be a walk in the park

mr_robato

HSC
You kids do know about the $10, 000 bonus if you decide to continue with the Army upon completion of your Gap Year? Has to be full time though.

I say take the 10k, stay with the Army and do your degree from distance. For that see Open Universities Australia (I'm sure we all have seen the add for it on TV).

Auraden

HSC
Hey guys,
i Just completed that online test i tihnk it went all good... any way after i did the test i got this in the same window

Thank you for taking the time to complete this stage of the Gap Year application process.
The next stage of the process is short listing, which will occur by 15 September 2009.
Now is the time to start preparing for the ultimate 12 month challenge.
If you are short listed you will be required to provide proof of what you have already told us.
You will need to source your full birth
Certificate, highest level of education results (semester 1, year 12 as a minimum) and proof of Citizenship if not born in Australia.
More details will be provided in the near future, or you can refer to our website.

Daft_Punk

Banned
HSC
N/A
lol they have an online aptitude test now?

I went straight to the YOU session, which was probably the easiest thing ever.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 3)