• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

ADF Gap Year (2 Viewers)

Tim_107

HSC
I also just received my 'YOU' session, set for the 15th of July...

Does anyone know how long after the 'YOU' session the interviews are...? and the fitness test?
my mate recently did his, expcet he applied for sponsorship, so i dont know if its different or not

but he said he had 2 tests, a maths and an IQ test, then some interviews, psch testing, medical tests, i dont think he had a fitness test, i think that maybe assessment day,

congratulations Mike, hope i get mine soon :)

ila3

HSC
Im going for navy and going in on the 7th for the 'you' session!
goodluck everyone! i hope its only a week or so after this that we get contacted again!

also, i read something this year about the selection process being altered so that its not first signed up first in rather they will look at everyone even those who apply months afterwards...is this true? ...im not a fan of this !!!

Goodluck every1 at the 'you'!

Brettman

HSC
:( was really hoping for this, i could cry.

Guess if i dont get this ill go for reserves

sarah29

HSC
hey yeah. i want to do the gap year in 2010, probably the navy. does anyone have any idea about the fitness levels required and also how many girls their are likely to be???
I'm thinking about doing the ADF navy gap year aswell next year but I'm still not sure. I have filled out the application, just havn't submitted it yet. Approximately 50% of applicants for navy gap are female whist air force is about a third and army is only about 25%. Details about the fitness test are on the defencejobs website. I think we need to do about 60 situps, 10 pushups and be able to run 3km.

Tim_107

HSC
Brett dont worry, its just first round, heaps of ppl will drop out at recruiting stage, technically we've got till september till they decide who they want, this recuitment stage takes ages for a reason, to test if ppl really want to do it,

basically they want to best people to do it for them, ie they'd rather take someone who plans to join the adf in the future over someone who just wants to do it for a gap year, because of the white paper they released they've had to be smart about their money in certain areas, and this is one of them. So they want to interview people, then decided if they want them, in the past i think (from what ppl have told me) they took the first in first serve, now they want to see if people are doing it as a 'try before u buy' and not just to say thanks for the money and experience, probablly never see you again kinda thing. i reckon that alot more people will get rejected after thei you session and assessment day because of this fact, so getting this letter doesn't mean anything, if you really want to do it, chances are (even more so this year) you'll get it.

betajosh711

HSC
you'll more than definitely get in, i've heard of people getting accepted in the last month of application entries. (that's people applying THEN!)

i got my you session details today. Opted to go as late as i could (january) so i got my you session booked for the 27th of december o_O

I've been told that you should attend your session in uniform, as a lot of people go in normal casual or daggy clothes which is a pretty bad representation to be judged apparently :S
He said that you'd impress the session people a lot if you went in uniform.

good luck to everyone :D

Enchantress91

HSC
Guess if i dont get this ill go for reserves
Yeh Brett, that's actually my Plan B.

There's a depot 5 minutes from my house. Think it's the Royal Australian Artillery. It has this "Recruiting Now" sign at the front gate (though its been there for years, lol). Not sure if they accept females though.

Mikeys

HSC
Nice. Did you apply for army, navy or air force?
Air Force

my mate recently did his, expcet he applied for sponsorship, so i dont know if its different or not

but he said he had 2 tests, a maths and an IQ test, then some interviews, psch testing, medical tests, i dont think he had a fitness test, i think that maybe assessment day,

congratulations Mike, hope i get mine soon :)
Yeah, from what I understand the fitness is on the assessment day, but I've been doing that fitness program (the 4 week one) for ages now... just repeating the 4th week, and if I remember correctly I got like a 13 or 14 in high school for the beep test, that wasn't to long ago :S

Enchantress91

HSC
Yeah, from what I understand the fitness is on the assessment day
No Mikey I'm pretty sure that the Pre-entry Fitness Assessment (PFA) is not on your assessment day (when you have interviews with a defence recruiter and a psychologist and a full medical check). You just need to pass the PFA 8 weeks prior to enlistment. You'll do it after you have booked your enlistment date and receive all the paperwork for enlistment in the mail.

BTW congrats on being selected!

Mikeys

HSC
No Mikey I'm pretty sure that the Pre-entry Fitness Assessment (PFA) is not on your assessment day (when you have interviews with a defence recruiter and a psychologist and a full medical check). You just need to pass the PFA 8 weeks prior to enlistment. You'll do it after you have booked your enlistment date and receive all the paperwork for enlistment in the mail.

BTW congrats on being selected!
From what I've heard...

'YOU' Session includes...
- Aptitude Evaluation
- Medical Interview with a Nurse
- Information session
- Interview with a Careers Counsellor (CC)

After that is an interview with a Defence Recruiter....

Then theres assessment day...
- The PFA for Air Force entry consists of the shuttle run to a standard of 6.5.
Piece of cake I think

Then the Enlistment/Appointment ....

I could be wrong though,

ila3

HSC
Yeh Brett, that's actually my Plan B.

There's a depot 5 minutes from my house. Think it's the Royal Australian Artillery. It has this "Recruiting Now" sign at the front gate (though its been there for years, lol). Not sure if they accept females though.
hey enchantress what are you going for in the gap?

olli!

HSC
i got my you session details today. Opted to go as late as i could (january) so i got my you session booked for the 27th of december o_O
Yeah same here. I rang up to change the date, and the lady said that it had been a stuff-up or something and that I would get a session sometime in September.

mggail

HSC
Hey guys, I applied right when the 2010 entrys opened and just got the email about going to the YOU session lately. Does anyone know if you have to go to your capital city for it or what?

Also any girls doing the army gap yr at the moment? Just wondering what to expect...

Indigo_Child

HSC
guys!

PFT is NOT part of assessment day! The fitness testing is done at your own convenience after you receive your letter of offer for enlistment. I did tendon damage to my knee a few months before i was due to enlist and they allowed me up until 2 weeks prior to enlistment to do my test so that I wouldnt do further damage.
The fitness testing actually cuts out a large number of candidates at the last minute, and so again I recommend going on a short notice list to fill the gaps these people leave!
Have fun dont stress! Its great fun, and remember when you get to recruit school its just one big game, dont take what happens to heart, because that isnt what service is really like

Enchantress91

HSC
hey enchantress what are you going for in the gap?
1. Operator supply (a priority job apparently)
2. Driver transport (some nice WO2 guy recommended it to me):)
3. Navy

Ah, thank YOU Indigo child. See, told you guys.

ila3

HSC
1. Operator supply (a priority job apparently)
2. Driver transport (some nice WO2 guy recommended it to me):)
3. Navy

Ah, thank YOU Indigo child. See, told you guys.
oh cool thanks so are all those in the navy?

ila3

HSC
guys!

PFT is NOT part of assessment day! The fitness testing is done at your own convenience after you receive your letter of offer for enlistment. I did tendon damage to my knee a few months before i was due to enlist and they allowed me up until 2 weeks prior to enlistment to do my test so that I wouldnt do further damage.
The fitness testing actually cuts out a large number of candidates at the last minute, and so again I recommend going on a short notice list to fill the gaps these people leave!
Have fun dont stress! Its great fun, and remember when you get to recruit school its just one big game, dont take what happens to heart, because that isnt what service is really like

Hey indigo child, read back on some earlier posts sounds like you had an awsome year? what was your job/what are the specific job roles and what do they entail?

Indigo_Child

HSC
Navy is different to airforce and army because you dont get a "job" as such. After initial training you have to do four weeks of seamanship school (line handling, ships husbandry, survival at sea) basically, a GAPYR in the Navy is a Bosun without weapons qualifications.

When you get your first posting you have a "workbook" to fill out. You move through all of the basic jobs on a ship (watchkeeper, ET, MT, cook, steward, writer, medics, officers) you get a very small amount of times in comms because GAP's dont have security clearance. So mostly you get to look at each job, tag along with a AB or LS in their daily duties, do what they do, and ask a heap of Q's! I found that on my second ship i didnt move around as much (only did ET, MT and Medic) and on my third didnt change jobs at all (usually when you get competant at something they dont let you move as much)

BTW... dont let them convince you that watchkeeping OR ships husbandry is fun! THEY AREN'T, sure the amusement factor is there the first couple of times but after that its the worst thing ever.

ila3

HSC
Navy is different to airforce and army because you dont get a "job" as such. After initial training you have to do four weeks of seamanship school (line handling, ships husbandry, survival at sea) basically, a GAPYR in the Navy is a Bosun without weapons qualifications.

When you get your first posting you have a "workbook" to fill out. You move through all of the basic jobs on a ship (watchkeeper, ET, MT, cook, steward, writer, medics, officers) you get a very small amount of times in comms because GAP's dont have security clearance. So mostly you get to look at each job, tag along with a AB or LS in their daily duties, do what they do, and ask a heap of Q's! I found that on my second ship i didnt move around as much (only did ET, MT and Medic) and on my third didnt change jobs at all (usually when you get competant at something they dont let you move as much)

BTW... dont let them convince you that watchkeeping OR ships husbandry is fun! THEY AREN'T, sure the amusement factor is there the first couple of times but after that its the worst thing ever.
Thanks indigo thanks for the heads up on watchkeeping etc; i didnt want to get pressured it to something like that just becuase im overally keen :D !

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)