Advanced English vs Extension 1 (1 Viewer)

lath

HSC
What are the similarities and differences between the 2U and Ext. 1 English Course. Are they related in anyway? Will doing the Ext.1 course help in the advanced english course? Thanks.

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
Content-wise, nothing at all. You study something different entirely. English Extension 1 may help you in essay writing or perhaps expose you to new texts that could possibly help you find related texts, but really... nothing at all really.

Similar in that you have to write an essay and a creative. For EX1 it's one creative and one essay.

LoveHateSchool

Retired Sept '14
HSC
Uni Grad
Similarities:
They both happen to be English courses, involving essays and creative writing.

Differences:
Ex1 is more interesting with no annoying AOS study

Studying Ex 1 doesn't necessarily help with Advanced, except giving you more exposure to analyzing texts and writing?

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
I found in EX1, there wasn't a lot of textual analysis - it was more the ideas behind the text that were of concern.

S_A_M_U_t

HSC
I found in EX1, there wasn't a lot of textual analysis - it was more the ideas behind the text that were of concern.
I agree.... 3 Unit aims for the 'deeper, deeper meaning' of texts (e.g. context, societal values, autobiographical readings of the author, critical studies, philosophical notions behind the text etc.) .... it's a very independent course which means, if you were to do it, you must engage with the prescribed texts through wider reading and thorough research.

I'm doing Elective A: Crime Writing.... it's alright I guess.... lol. I honestly wanted to do Science Fiction, but since I'm the only guy in a class of 5.... haha You get what I mean.

Peace,
Sam.

S_A_M_U_t

HSC
Oh, another thing is that I find that the class is more of a 'discussion' rather than a normal 2 Unit English class.... I find the teacher begs for you to argue your interpretation of the text with textual evidence.... so if Your in a small class like myself - BE PREPARED TO TALK ABOUT YOUR VIEWS! It's daunting for myself cause of the whole "I'm the only guy in this class".... lol.

Peace (again),
Sam.

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
We just gave our EX1 teacher the silent treatment before he lectured us instead, so we didn't have to talk.

We gave the excuse, "But sir... it's 7:50am in the morning =("

jnney

lemon
HSC
EX1 requires a lot of self initiative. In advanced, you're being spoon fed. I do EX1, and yes I do find that it does help advanced. In fact that was one of the reasons why I chose it - more exposure to English.

Riproot

#MedLyf
HSC
Uni Grad
Oh, another thing is that I find that the class is more of a 'discussion' rather than a normal 2 Unit English class.... I find the teacher begs for you to argue your interpretation of the text with textual evidence.... so if Your in a small class like myself - BE PREPARED TO TALK ABOUT YOUR VIEWS! It's daunting for myself cause of the whole "I'm the only guy in this class".... lol.
you're*

We just gave our EX1 teacher the silent treatment before he lectured us instead, so we didn't have to talk.

We gave the excuse, "But sir... it's 7:50am in the morning =("
This is redundant. Write either 'am' or 'in the morning' not both.

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
you're*

This is redundant. Write either 'am' or 'in the morning' not both.
It's for effect. Saying, 'am' and then 'in the morning' creates a greater and more profound effect on the reader.

And if you're going to retort "Bad English" - you should go READ LAST EXIT TO BROOKLYN BY HUBERT SELBY, JR. WHO WRITES ABOUT TWO CHAPTERS JUST LIKE THIS - AND I DON'T THINK ANYONE WOULD CALL THAT BAD ENGLISH BECAUSE IT'S USED FOR EFFECT.

Riproot

#MedLyf
HSC
Uni Grad
It's for effect. Saying, 'am' and then 'in the morning' creates a greater and more profound effect on the reader.
And if you're going to retort "Bad English" - you should go READ LAST EXIT TO BROOKLYN BY HUBERT SELBY, JR. WHO WRITES ABOUT TWO CHAPTERS JUST LIKE THIS - AND I DON'T THINK ANYONE WOULD CALL THAT BAD ENGLISH BECAUSE IT'S USED FOR EFFECT.
I didn't say it was bad English, I said it was redundant, which it is.
I'm not going to read a book, I've read like ten in my life and I think that's where I'm stopping.

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
It would be redundant if it wasn't used for effect.

graceveitch

HSC
N/A
In our prelim extension class we studied Utopia for our first topic including reading 'Utopia' by Thomas More. Then for our third topic in advanced we are studying 'Perfect Worlds' and some are even reading 'Utopia' for related texts.

So by doing extension and gaining a knowledge of the ideas behind perfect worlds and utopias it has definitely helped in advanced.

Love Gravid. :chainsaw2:

airblitz7

HSC
I thought you're not allowed to use other prescribed texts for a related?

katoji

HSC
It really just helped in developing my skills of analysis, as well as looking at context, values and ideas. It really is quite similar to advanced...
I'm glad I chose it though - it forced me to refine my essays.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)