Advanced Mathematics ! (1 Viewer)

konkzz

HSC
Cool, thanks. By the way, how much do the course notes cost and when should I purchase them ?

Is there is a link to these questions ?

Also, enrolment variation is now available. Since last day to add a unit is the 13th of March and last day to drop a unit is 31st of March, if I decide to drop Advanced MATH 1901 and 1902 after the 13th but before the 31st, would I still be able to add MATH 1001 and 1002 ? Can this all be done online or do I have to see the faculty ?

jtyler

HSC
Course notes cost between $10 and $20 each. You buy them at KopyStop broadway (http://www.kopystop.com.au/). I think there's a facility to drop from advanced maths units if you contact the school of maths, even though its normally not allowed.

Templar

P vs NP
HSC
Also, enrolment variation is now available. Since last day to add a unit is the 13th of March and last day to drop a unit is 31st of March, if I decide to drop Advanced MATH 1901 and 1902 after the 13th but before the 31st, would I still be able to add MATH 1001 and 1002 ? Can this all be done online or do I have to see the faculty ?
You might be able to add a unit up to the 20th with approval from the associate dean, but otherwise no. There might be avenues with switching between the courses but given they are different that might not be possible. Check with the first year office on level five Carslaw about it.

konkzz

HSC
Though, wouldn't MATH1901 and MATH1902 be similar to MATH1001 and MATH1002, with the Advanced units going in more depth ?

It says "withdrawn" on my enrolment variation for MATH1001 and MATH1002. Can't I just re-enrol in them if I decide to drop MATH1901 and MATH1902 after the 13th of March ?

iSplicer

HSC
Uni Grad
hmmm.... sorry If I am hijacking but, what career prospects does one have with an Adv. Mathematics degree, other than teaching? What about pay?

Thanks

Trebla

Administrator
Administrator
HSC
Applied Mathematicians for example are useful in research, scientific analysis and the financial sector to name a few.
Pure Mathematics generally do research but I think they can move into applied fields as well.
Statisticians....well everywhere lol

adnan91

HSC
Though, wouldn't MATH1901 and MATH1902 be similar to MATH1001 and MATH1002, with the Advanced units going in more depth ?

It says "withdrawn" on my enrolment variation for MATH1001 and MATH1002. Can't I just re-enrol in them if I decide to drop MATH1901 and MATH1902 after the 13th of March ?
Im starting the same degree. Im doing 1901, 1902, 1903 but regular statistics 1005 cuz its gay

jtyler

HSC
In my experience statistics is less interesting the lower the level you study it at...

konkzz

HSC

If I keep MATH1901 and MATH1902 and get at least a pass for each, can I pick up MATH1903 and MATH1905 in semester 2 ?

adnan91

HSC
Unit of Study: MATH1903 - Integral Calculus and Modelling Advanced

MATH1903 is designed to provide a thorough preparation for further study in mathematics and statistics. It is a core unit of study providing three of the twelve credit points required by the Faculty of Science as well as a Junior level requirement in the Faculty of Engineering.This unit of study parallels the normal unit MATH1003 but goes more deeply into the subject matter and requires more mathematical sophisticaton.
Classes: Two 1 hour lectures and one 1 hour tutorial per week.
Assessment: One 1.5 hour examination, assignments and quizzes.
Pre-requisites: HSC Mathematics Extension 2. This requirement may be varied. Students with an interest in mathematics, but without HSC mathematics Extension 2, should consult the unit of study coordinator.

Same goes for math1905 so yes

ssglain

HSC
Read this thread: http://community.boredofstudies.org/224/faculty-science/197231/advanced-mathematics-usyd.html

konkzz said:
What I said in the above thread:
I've helped several friends who did normal level maths and from my experience, the normal and advanced subjects are almost identical in content, with the odd extra theorems or two that are only mentioned in advanced. However, there is a very obvious contrast in the level of mathematical rigour that is expected from both the students and the lecturers, even though the content is the same. For example, for the same theorem that is taught in both normal and advanced subjects, the advanced students are also taught the proof and are expected to be able to replicate or extend the methodologies of that proof in exams.

In general, in advanced level maths there's more focus on where ideas came from and why they are true than simply how to use them. That's definitely reflected in exam questions, where both normal and advanced students will be asked to apply some theorems or methods to do calculations, but advanced students will also be asked to do more proving and showing.

konkzz said:
The last day to add a unit is March 13, so yes, you can drop MATH1901/1902 and re-enrol in MATH1001/1002 before that date.

Lecturers or unit coordinators can also give you permission to drop down from advanced to normal after March 13. Last year a few people managed to get special permission as late as week 6. But I'd advise you not to gamble on that.

konkzz said:
If I keep MATH1901 and MATH1902 and get at least a pass for each, can I pick up MATH1903 and MATH1905 in semester 2 ?
You need credit or better in MATH1001/1002 or MATH1901/1902 in first semester to do advanced level maths units in second semester.

konkzz

HSC
So, technically I have around 2 weeks to decide whether to drop MATH1901 and MATH1902 and pick up MATH1001 and MATH1002, without the hope of special permission ?

In your opinion, who should take Advanced Mathematics ?

What do you recommend in order to succeed in first year Advanced Mathematics ?

konkzz

HSC
Hmmm, going through the past papers, everything looks freakin' hard ! O_O

I have a bad feeling about this. .

Templar

P vs NP
HSC
Exactly that. It's withdrawn. You're out of that subject. So no, you can't just re-enrol after March 13th. Withdrawn is the same as you've never enrolled in that subject.

konkzz

HSC
Yikes, so I should decide after the first few lessons whether to keep it or not ?

Say, I decide to drop MATH1901 and MATH1902 on the 12th of March, can i enrol in MATH1001 and MATH1002 (and the former Advanced units) ONLINE on this day ?

jtyler

HSC
CONTACT THE SCHOOL. Im 95% sure there is a facility to change streams (between normal and advanced ONLY) independent of FlexSIS (the student admin software), at least up to the census date and probably beyond.

Everything looks hard before you've learnt any of it.

Miss Winey

HSC
you need to pass MATH1901 and MATH1902 before you can enrol in the second semester ones.
If you failed them.
it means they were probably too hard for you.

Lecturers will have course notes which you buy from KopyStop which is a place in broadway on mountain st.
they will tell you when lectures start
they cost around $25.
Tuts and solutions will be avaliable online over time

Sometimes tutors recommend a text book.
I suggest NOT getting this, unless you are struggling.
and even if you are, the books are avaliable in the library.

Most student get by with the course notes alone.

iRX

HSC
You need credit or better in MATH1001/1002 or MATH1901/1902 in first semester to do advanced level maths units in second semester.
Isn't it almost too easy to obtain a credit or better in the standard stream maths? Because studying @ uws last year I found it was fairly easy to obtain marks in the mid-90s for the discrete and statistics units (both correlate well with usyd's unit material for those subjects). I understand the standard streams are scaled down aggressively at usyd to make headroom for the advanced stream student marks.

I'm a little concerned as although I've enrolled for the advanced maths BS, if usyd's student calibre is way above that of uws' (as I'm sure it is), I may be nonetheless over my head due to severe scaling.

The opportunity to work on proofs and proving rather than "here are the formulae now apply them to these problems" is enticing, hence why I would like to stay in the advanced stream as long as I can manage keeping up with the truly gifted maths students there. I guess if the difficulty merely lies in the abstract nature of the material, it shouldn't be a problem (?).

Last edited:

ssglain

HSC
iRX said:
Isn't it almost too easy to obtain a credit or better in the standard stream maths? Because studying @ uws last year I found it was fairly easy to obtain marks in the mid-90s for the discrete and statistics units (both correlate well with usyd's unit material for those subjects). I understand the standard streams are scaled down aggressively at usyd to make headroom for the advanced stream student marks.
I don't really know how exactly they do the scaling - maybe that should be a question left for someone who is involved in the marking (there are a few roaming around the forum). But I have heard people say that the scaling process ensures that a credit at normal level means the same as a credit at advanced level - myth?

iRX said:
I'm a little concerned as although I've enrolled for the advanced maths BS, if usyd's student calibre is way above that of uws' (as I'm sure it is), I may be nonetheless over my head due to severe scaling.
The opportunity to work on proofs and proving rather than "here are the formulae now apply them to these problems" is enticing, hence why I would like to stay in the advanced stream as long as I can manage keeping up with the truly gifted maths students there. I guess if the difficulty merely lies in the abstract nature of the material, it shouldn't be a problem (?).
I really don't know how much difference there is in the standards between different unis, but one would sure hope it is no harder or easier to get a HD in the same subject area. If you were getting mid-90s then I'm sure you will just fine at USyd as long as you continue to apply yourself and put effort into the subjects you're studying.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)