Advanced Mathematics. (1 Viewer)

Hoorayz1

HSC
Hi,

I recently received my ATAR of 96.25 and would like to study B Science (Advanced Mathematics) at UNSW (don't think I can get into USYD, don't know how bonus points work there). I'd like to be informed about the job prospects of this degree.

I heard that majoring in quantitative risk/statistics will give me the best job prospects and which lie in my interests. Which majors give me the greatest job prospects?

Last of all, is it guaranteed that I receive a job after I graduate?

Regards,
Hoorayz1

(I no longer want to study science advanced or med)

tashe

HSC
N/A
don't think I can get into USYD, don't know how bonus points work there
They have the Flexible Entry Scheme. As long as you fall under 5 ATAR points of the cut off AND you satisfy the requirement of the course, you will be considered.

The requirement for B Science (Advanced Mathematics) is an E4 in Mathematics Extension 2.

Hoorayz1

HSC
They have the Flexible Entry Scheme. As long as you fall under 5 ATAR points of the cut off AND you satisfy the requirement of the course, you will be considered.

The requirement for B Science (Advanced Mathematics) is an E4 in Mathematics Extension 2.
So I can apply for it?

tashe

HSC
N/A
That is the link, just select what you are i.e. Year 12, the faculty and course. Flexible Entry Scheme - Future Students - The University of Sydney

Yes, you can apply for anything. If you want to go to USYD more than UNSW, then choose it as your first preference. I do believe that you are likely to get in.

For the more specific questions regarding B Sc (Advanced Mathematics), you will have to wait for someone who knows the answers. If not, give Carrotsticks or Asianese (they study the course) a PM and they'll kindly help you.

Last edited:

ocatal

HSC
That is the link, just select what you are i.e. Year 12, the faculty and course. Flexible Entry Scheme - Future Students - The University of Sydney

Yes, you can apply for anything. If you want to go to USYD more than UNSW, then choose it as your first preference. I do believe that you are likely to get in.

For the more specific questions regarding B Sc (Advanced Mathematics), you will have to wait for someone who knows the answers. If not, give Carrotsticks or Asianese (they study the course) a PM and they'll kindly help you.
+1

As long as you got an E4 in EXT 2, I think you have a pretty good chance of getting accepted.

Hoorayz1

HSC

I think they are busy

Hoorayz1

HSC
BIG QUESTION: UNSW OR USYD?

My teacher says UNSW is better for science

tashe

HSC
N/A
Both of those people I mentioned go to USYD. Not that it says anything. I think they're neck and neck, base it on your personally preference.

Hoorayz1

HSC
Why does one career opportunity for USYD adv math say: actuarial and UNSW doesn't?

Can I still become an Actuarial if I study in UNSW?

tashe

HSC
N/A
Why does one career opportunity for USYD adv math say: actuarial and UNSW doesn't?

Can I still become an Actuarial if I study in UNSW?
I think those are just example. Even if UNSW doesn't list it, I'm pretty sure you can still find Actuarial jobs if you study B Sc (Advanced Mathematics) at UNSW.

Why is USYD 98 and UNSW 95?
That DOES NOT correlate directly to how good a course is. The number basically means how popular it was last year. Universities determine the cut off by, DEMAND vs SUPPLY. That is, they accept everyone from the HIGHEST ATAR to LOWEST ATAR and then they list the cutoff as the lowest atar.

A higher number may be because they accept a smaller number of student (e.g. smaller classes, less teachers) so don't go thinking that it means they are better (they might be, they might not be).

Hoorayz1

HSC
Person A goes to USYD
Person B goes to UNSW

Can they both work in actuarials/finance/statistics industries

tashe

HSC
N/A
If they study the SAME major, they can.

tashe

HSC
N/A
Where does it say that in the link?

HSC
No degree anywhere will guarantee you a job.

HSC
FYI @ USYD:

If you want to do B Sc (Adv) or B Sc (Adv Math) and haven't gotten the ATAR - the course structures of these compared to the B Sc (83 ATAR cut off) is IDENTICAL in first year. If you get a certain WAM (weighted average mark) for the first semester (or year) of your B Sc, you can transfer into these advanced courses. The only difference, really, is the name.

If you want to go to USYD, then I'd suggest putting B Sc (Adv Math) as a first pref, then B Sc (Adv) then B Sc (all USYD) and then your UNSW prefs.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)