Advice: Economics & Mathematics (1 Viewer)

Bored_of_HSC

HSC
Hey all :)

I'm currently interested in 2 degrees.

1. Economics/Science (Adv Maths) - UNSW
2. Economics (majors in economics and mathematics) - Usyd

Career interests: I'm primarily interested in economics, and i'm CURRENTLY thinking of maths just supplementing that. (but who knows). Eco/sci poses a problem here as i'd be forced to a honours year maths in addition to the extra honours year i want to take in economics. That make 6 years in total, which sounds quite long (i also want to do post-grad, which is usually 3-4 years). From this, Usyd probably seems better.

However, further complicating this is my indecision as to whether i'd like economics, in which case UNSW may be better as i can just drop the eco. I've also been interested in doing actuarial studies but i wasn't sure whether i'd particularly like it. I was thinking actuarial would be easier to transfer from eco/sci(adv maths).

With this in mind, my question: What course would you recommend?

Cheers!

Trebla

Administrator
Administrator
HSC
Do Commerce/Science then major in Economics + Mathematics because you have that flexibility to choose. If you change your mind and do perhaps Actuarial you can still access this through the Commerce degree at UNSW.

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
Hey all :)

I'm currently interested in 2 degrees.

1. Economics/Science (Adv Maths) - UNSW
2. Economics (majors in economics and mathematics) - Usyd

Career interests: I'm primarily interested in economics, and i'm CURRENTLY thinking of maths just supplementing that. (but who knows). Eco/sci poses a problem here as i'd be forced to a honours year maths in addition to the extra honours year i want to take in economics. That make 6 years in total, which sounds quite long (i also want to do post-grad, which is usually 3-4 years). From this, Usyd probably seems better.

However, further complicating this is my indecision as to whether i'd like economics, in which case UNSW may be better as i can just drop the eco. I've also been interested in doing actuarial studies but i wasn't sure whether i'd particularly like it. I was thinking actuarial would be easier to transfer from eco/sci(adv maths).

With this in mind, my question: What course would you recommend?

Cheers!
If you don't want to take Honours with Adv Maths at UNSW, you drop down to Economics/Science. And you take Honours in Economics instead.

Bored_of_HSC

HSC
Do Commerce/Science then major in Economics + Mathematics because you have that flexibility to choose. If you change your mind and do perhaps Actuarial you can still access this through the Commerce degree at UNSW.
Very true, but i'd have to do compulsory managemetn units etc. :/ Also, i don't think comm gives actuarial as a major anymore (as there's a diferent degree now)

If you don't want to take Honours with Adv Maths at UNSW, you drop down to Economics/Science. And you take Honours in Economics instead.
But then i'd probably have to also do some compulsory physical science subs (e chem, phys etc) wouldn't i?

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
I don't think so, you just choose your major and follow the plan.

D94

HSC
N/A
But then i'd probably have to also do some compulsory physical science subs (e chem, phys etc) wouldn't i?
The maths major would be 54 UoC, and you will need to complete 96 UoC to satisfy the Science degree. So that means you will have to complete 42 UoC or 7 subjects from the Faculty of Science - it can still be maths courses, it could be physics or chemistry or psychology or computing or materials courses etc. Even if you did Advanced Mathematics, you would still need to complete extra science courses.

Bored_of_HSC

HSC
I don't think so, you just choose your major and follow the plan.
The maths major would be 54 UoC, and you will need to complete 96 UoC to satisfy the Science degree. So that means you will have to complete 42 UoC or 7 subjects from the Faculty of Science - it can still be maths courses, it could be physics or chemistry or psychology or computing or materials courses etc. Even if you did Advanced Mathematics, you would still need to complete extra science courses.
Wow, sounds pretty cool.

Cheers both of you :D

(shame rep isn't around anymore)

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
Well, one extra course if you took Adv Maths.

Trebla

Administrator
Administrator
HSC
Very true, but i'd have to do compulsory managemetn units etc. :/ Also, i don't think comm gives actuarial as a major anymore (as there's a diferent degree now)
Those compulsory courses should be mainly first year units. Just put up with it (everyone goes through them) and you'll be in a good position from second year onwards. Also, I'm pretty sure UNSW offers an Actuarial major in Commerce (someone from UNSW clarify this).

The only compulsory units you have in Science is first year Maths. The rest is your choice. You would still be in this position for Science (Advanced Mathematics) anyway. The only difference is that Science (Advanced Mathematics) forces you to acquire a major in the field of Mathematics/Statistics whereas in Science or Science (Advanced) it is completely your choice.

D94

HSC
N/A
Well, one extra course if you took Adv Maths.
2 extra.

All but the Quantitative Risk plan are individually 84 UoC, and a Science degree is 96 UoC, so that would be 2 courses, would it not?

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
I meant if he did Adv Maths, he must do SCIF. That's a compulsory course.

khfreakau

HSC
start with commerce instead of eco - there are common compulsory core units between comm and eco that i would recommend choosing in your first semester, so that if you later decide you want to do eco, you can easily change your degree. note that uni eco is quite a bit different from hsc eco, so you might reconsider after doing it.

enoilgam

HSC
start with commerce instead of eco - there are common compulsory core units between comm and eco that i would recommend choosing in your first semester, so that if you later decide you want to do eco, you can easily change your degree. note that uni eco is quite a bit different from hsc eco, so you might reconsider after doing it.
This is good to keep in mind - for me, the foundation economics unit was pretty much year 11 economics (this is compulsory for all business students), but the second year stuff is radically different. It's much more technical than HSC economics - not to mention a lot more difficult.

Bored_of_HSC

HSC
Those compulsory courses should be mainly first year units. Just put up with it (everyone goes through them) and you'll be in a good position from second year onwards. Also, I'm pretty sure UNSW offers an Actuarial major in Commerce (someone from UNSW clarify this).
This is good to keep in mind - for me, the foundation economics unit was pretty much year 11 economics (this is compulsory for all business students), but the second year stuff is radically different. It's much more technical than HSC economics - not to mention a lot more difficult.
Fair enough, i probably shouldn't limit myself to eco. So comm/sci (as i'd be forced into honours with adv sci) is sounding quite good now. Foremost, i'll have to educate myself more on the content/structures of the courses and majors.

Cheers. :)

teeah

HSC
I think you should do the first one, because it has science in it. And it's at UNSW. :p

Or whatever has science in it.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)