• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Advice on teacher's who can't teach (1 Viewer)

__candy

HSC
N/A
Hey, im just wondering if anyone has had a really bad teacher who can't teach and how they dealt with it. I've got a really bad 2U Maths Teacher who sets us work but doesnt explain it. What should i do?

Last edited:

rosepetal25

HSC
N/A
maybe set up a study group with some friends who are in different classes so you can share their knowledge

Dimsimmer

Random User
HSC
I think you should rely on yourself instead of the teacher. Use the textbooks to help you understand things and do plenty of questions. I have a 4u maths teacher who is a bit lost so I try to rely on myself and I also ask my tutor for some help.

duckofdoom

Ellie-Jelly
HSC
__candy said:
Hey, im just wondering if anyone has had a really bad teacher who can't teach and how they dealt with it. I've got a really bad 2U Maths Teacher who sets us work but doesnt explain it. What should i do?
For year 11 biology we had a shocling excuse for a teacher.

Every lesson this was her plan "Take out your text books, copy down these questions on the board and answer them."

If we asked her a question, it was always "check the textbook" or "I'll go and see Mr LeRay next door."

So someone in our class complained so the class was divided into 2 - she kept half and LeRay got the other half. I was more fortunate to get leray - my orignal teacher was lame.

It probably didn't help that she looked like a barbie doll either.

hopeles5ly

Take Me Higher.
HSC
N/A
my RE teacher is the crappest teacher and because of her a majority of my class have dropped out the subject. she thinks she smart because she uses "big words" and she makes herself think shes so important. eg she like "out of my kindest of my heart and knowing that not a lot of your teacher do this, but i am willing to read your assignments before you finish it" like wdf i always ask my better teachers to always look at my stuff and there more than happy too. she then tell's off students for practically asking simple questions and doesnt' explain things more than once even if u dunt understand it. i know that im capable of a band 5-6 in this subject, but at this rate im lucky if i get a band 1, as i have loss all motviation to do any work in the subject now.

Last edited:

Trebla

Administrator
Administrator
HSC
I had all shit English teachers from Year 7-10. They didn't communicate the stuff properly to the class even if they did know the course. They really screwed our english and marking hard to scare us didn't do us any favours either. I had a very vague idea about the point of knowing language techniques and writing about them. They expected us to have known everything from techniques to writing text types since Year 7. English was such a bludge back then. They also "assumed" that everyone was reading widely. I tried to learn everything for myself because my junior english teachers often missed the point of each lesson.
It wasn't until Year 11, that I had a decent teacher and my english finally improved to the top end and I understood almost everything as well as the point of being analytical.
Currently, I have a physics teacher who hesitates a lot and doesn't communicate that well to the class. Although she does always ask us if we understand it and I guess that's kind of a good thing, she doesn't put a lot of the important stuff in writing. Anything that is important is mostly communicated by talking to the class and that can be bad when it comes to revising our notes. For example, I wasn't very clear on how a DC motor worked with a split ring commutator until my tutor cleared everything up and solidified my understanding.

I reckon it's ridiculous how some teachers expect us to know everything and assume we would all be nerdy enough to research every concept ourselves to gain that essential understanding. That's what most of the bad teachers at my school are like - they don't tell you much and expect you to understand it yourself.

Bottom line - If you have a crappy teacher, take on DIY learning programs or refer to tutors.

Last edited:

klaw

HSC
__candy said:
You don't need a teacher. Get a textbook, read the explanations and try to understand the examples they give. If you don't understand something, ask a fellow student.

P

pLuvia

__candy said:
Just change classes

Sparcod

Hello!
HSC
__candy said:
It's ok.
I agree with everyone else- Do the learning yourself. Im sure there are students who excel despite having a bad teacher.

Riviet

HSC
N/A
__candy said:
Yeah, change teachers, easiest way to fix it up.

klaw

HSC
HamuTarou said:
1. rely on urself
2. rely on someone good (a friend in ur class, a tutor)
3. change classes
4. last resort, change schools
Changing schools because of a bad teacher is silly

ichiraku

HSC
Well one of my classes had a really bad teacher for year 11, so what we ended up doing was we took the issue to both the deputy and the principle. After that, we ended up with a new and better teacher for year 12.

kido_1

pRoFFeSSoR
HSC
Yeh good idea tell the subject co-ordinator that u want a betta teacher

^CoSMic DoRiS^^

makes the woosh noises
HSC
try to rely on yourself to learn the content, if you can. Read ahead, make notes, do exercises from the textbook, ask another teacher or a smart friend to help if you get lost. last resort though, get your teacher changed. my year 10 geography teacher was (and is) a pathetic excuse for an educator. a couple of weeks ago, he was meant to take the ancient history class because their teacher was away. he never showed up, so the history head teacher rang up the geo staffroom and asked for him. the response on the phone: "Should I wake him?"........ what the heck? sleeping on the job tsk tsk. oh, and then when they woke him up he was all grumpy and made the class come to him, instead of him go to them. idiot.

Riviet

HSC
N/A
It's good to hear that you're concerned about your own learning environment. Don't forget to actually decide and do something about the matter. =)

Last edited:

NDSUTHERLAND

HSC
klaw said:
Changing schools because of a bad teacher is silly
One of my mates changed schools because we had a bad teacher. funny thing is is that the teacher changed schools at the same time and he landed her at his new school. Other advice is good.
Look something i found when i did 2U maths is that you have to do your homework, at least some of it, and if your struggling do extra. there's tonnes and tonnes of resources out there for it and if your teachers shit thats the best way to go. My physics teachers a joke so i just got a coupla the books on syllabus dot points and that kinda stuff and am learning it myself.

hopeles5ly

Take Me Higher.
HSC
N/A
kido_1 said:
Yeh good idea tell the subject co-ordinator that u want a betta teacher
lol my subject co-ordinator is so baddddd, hes so lazy ....

ajmason87

HSC
Whatever u do, dont publically and verbally complain (especially via letter), or the department will begin to hate you, then mark you down, for upsetting their comfort zone of 50-70 grand and 12 weeks holiday. This way, whilst your cohort will crash and burn, you'll at least have a chance at a decent rank.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)