'after the bomb' elective for ext eng (1 Viewer)

gekoh

HSC
To those doing Ariel:

Doing Plath was one of the hardest things I've ever done during my school years. It isnt easy when you see yourself in words written by the world's most famous suicidal poet. As much as I love her poetry, she isnt good for me. I enjoyed her far more than Catch 22- can't wait for Hiroshima, but if you're doing plath, make sure you distance yourself.​

Jemelet

HSC
I love ext. English 1. best choice ever (except for adv. >< *rages*).
were doing:
Sylvia Plath- 'Ariel' = pretty awesome. words is one of her easiest poems, it just requires a lil weird thinking. i like all her poems actually. some of them are really horrible but at some point we laughed at her exaggeration. its on such a scale its almost ridiculous^^
Waiting for Godot - i like it^^ its like a repetitive lol. got to be careful with quotes and examples though.
Catch-22 - generally one of the best books i have ever laid hands on (and thats alot) same as godot u must be extra careful with qoute and example choice. MUST always at every point have a technique. a genuine one as well, better then metaphor unless its something like and extended metaphor for which u nedd bout 3-6 qoutes for along with explanations.

My rel texts: Z for Zacharia (book) and Rebel without a cause(film)- both reasonable texts - RWAC made me cry T.T its weird but well done. ZFZ horrified me (in a good way) it was so shockingly disgusting and anger provoking that i loved it.

lots of people in my class chose songs like Paint it black and things (Beware - songs mean u must talk about the musical composition not just lyrics) . White Noise and 1984 are good books as well. there are lots of good films and articles about events and effects on people out there.

for plath, why must we distance ourselves?

After the bomb is such a good relaxed module^^

afterthebomb-er

HSC
i revoke everything i've ever said about Sylvia Plath.

i love her poetry.
she is an amazing writer.

i gladly eat my words.
what a difference a couple of months make.

SYLVIA PLATH FTW!!!!!!!

123 B A N G

HSC
Frigging loved Catch-22, amazing. Somehow I was never confused... weird I know but I guess I read from chapter to chapter without consciously trying to connect them, and then it all came together. Hiroshima was good, but kind of too detached for me. I can't wait to do Godot, but I'm not too sure about Plath.

2010HSCCC

HSC
i dont even know any related texts for this topic

im doing catch-22, sylvia plath and waiting for godot.

any ideas?

and has anyone found any resources for this module? i cant seem to find any...?

2010HSCCC

HSC
haha hey stef!

ey did we do any stuff on finding related texts?

EternalFlame

HSC
hey how is everyone going with related texts for this topic, im interested in whether we are allowed to use modern texts that refernce the era or do we just have to use the texts that were from the cold war era??
Well I heard we arent allowed to na dthat the point of the m9dule was to see ways of thinking during the time through literature of the time. I find that really annoying because there are relatewd texts like Good bye lenin (2004) that i would like to use. I think there are great realted texts for this module...almst all of kubrick, CALLAN, get smart, Apocalypse now...>_>

Cosmoboy

HSC
Get Smart is a great idea. Anyone who thinks ATB is depressing: Wake up and smell the napalm! Try living through WW2, if you weren't affected by that huge event you should have been dead. Absurdism is a way of coping with catastrophe, where laughing at life is the only reasonable enlightened attitude: there is a kind of wisdom in that.
Related texts ... I was thinking --
1. Anything which is set after a disaster or apocalypse, maybe even Mad Max (made in 1979 so fits the era). Connects with Godot. Holocaust authors like Primo Levi?
2. Barefoot Gen which is a fantastic manga comic about Hiroshima
3. Song for Nagasaki (mentioned in an earlier post) is by Australian Paul Glynn but is about a japanese bomb victim who had a really spiritual response (true story).
3. Existentialism says "the individual is solely responsible for giving their own life meaning and living that life passionately and sincerely" (Wikipedia) so anything like Albert Camus's The Stranger.
4. What about books about the mad paranoia of the Communist era. Stasiland by Anna Funder is about East Germany when everyone spied on everyone else but was written later (2003) -- does anyone know if that would be allowed?

EternalFlame

HSC
yeah We must adress absurdism in terms of a technique that conveys existentialism; I know people that are doing the original watchmen graphic novel as their related text. btw godot is an amazing text

is2buddaflies

madness the magnet
HSC
i revoke everything i've ever said about Sylvia Plath.

i love her poetry.
she is an amazing writer.

i gladly eat my words.
what a difference a couple of months make.

SYLVIA PLATH FTW!!!!!!!
omg hi5
at first reading her poetry i simply laballed her as a psychopath and just wrote notes aimlessly.
It seems that she was the only sane one around ...

has anyone thought of good afb creative ideas ?
do we have to encapsulate the whole period i.e. Hiroshima- Berlin Wall in our writings ?
Can we talk about post war impacts ?

steph xx

HSC
wow, you are all astoundingly lucky to be studying plath!

i'm not sure if we're doing 'after the bomb' for ext; we're studying modernism.

is2buddaflies

madness the magnet
HSC
i dont even know any related texts for this topic

im doing catch-22, sylvia plath and waiting for godot.

any ideas?

and has anyone found any resources for this module? i cant seem to find any...?
Im studying the same texts

Don Delilio's White Noise .. wikipedia it

curlygirl93

HSC
"Duck and Cover" is strangely mesmerising, and addictive.
Has anybody else seen it?

Will a newspaper really protect us??

hahaha yes that is so good, clearly represents societies anxieties.. lets just ram your wife into a brick wall to save her

Azi

HSC
3. Existentialism says "the individual is solely responsible for giving their own life meaning and living that life passionately and sincerely" (Wikipedia) so anything like Albert Camus's The Stranger.
I think you mean 'The Outsider'? I read the book recently and loved it, but I thought it was just too early, it was published in 1942, and we are meant to study texts from 1945-1989 or something?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)